Miller and Deace B1G roster points

deanvogs

I think that the roster points that Deace tracks is a good example of how much better Iowa's recruiting has been over the last 3-4 years. If we didn't lose the 4 early entries into the draft we are sitting at over 300 roster points, which would be good for 3rd in the entire B1G conference. As it stands even with the early entries we have the most roster points in the B1G west going into next year.

I think that the roster points that Deace tracks is a good example of how much better Iowa's recruiting has been over the last 3-4 years. If we didn't lose the 4 early entries into the draft we are sitting at over 300 roster points, which would be good for 3rd in the entire B1G conference. As it stands even with the early entries we have the most roster points in the B1G west going into next year.
How do the roster points work? Is there a link?

How do the roster points work? Is there a link?

If you listen to the podcast he explains it. Short version goes like this.

1) Uses 247 composite ratings to give incoming Fr. points. So 5* = 5 points, 4* = 4 Points, etc.
2) Adjust for actual production on the field. So Hockenson is a Mackey award winner, so he is worth 5 points now, so when we lost him we lost 5 points.

That is the idea behind it. I like it in that he adjust from what they were rated out of college to what they are actually doing on the field, so that is good. Of course like anything it ain't perfect, but it gives a picture of what is going on.

If you listen to the podcast he explains it. Short version goes like this.

1) Uses 247 composite ratings to give incoming Fr. points. So 5* = 5 points, 4* = 4 Points, etc.
2) Adjust for actual production on the field. So Hockenson is a Mackey award winner, so he is worth 5 points now, so when we lost him we lost 5 points.

That is the idea behind it. I like it in that he adjust from what they were rated out of college to what they are actually doing on the field, so that is good. Of course like anything it ain't perfect, but it gives a picture of what is going on.

Is there a deduct for obvious deficiencies? Like, hypothetically say a team had a marginal punter. Do the adjustments account for bad field position?

I thought the guys in Vegas had a similar system that they have a point for each player that they use when they are setting up the opening lines, its a system I've heard of before. The one guy with the big preseason guide swears by returning starters when he does his ratings, thinks they are the most important thing like total starts across the offensive line.

I'm curious as to how many roster points Iowa had this year compared to their West rivals. It looked to my very untrained eyes that Iowa had the most talented team in the West this year.

Judging on the early draft entries I'm probably not the only one who thinks that. Iowa has more early draft entries than the rest of the West teams combined.

I'm curious as to how many roster points Iowa had this year compared to their West rivals. It looked to my very untrained eyes that Iowa had the most talented team in the West this year.

Judging on the early draft entries I'm probably not the only one who thinks that. Iowa has more early draft entries than the rest of the West teams combined.
Early draft entries will vary from year to year. There were a bunch of very talented guys in the west that will be drafted high when they are eligible. Purdue Rondale Moore and Nebraskas Adrian Martinez were only freshman and wont be able to leave for another two years. Wisconsins Jonathan Taylor and Danny Davis and Minnesota's Tyler Johnson will be able to leave early after this coming year and will probably be drafted high just like Fant and Hock this year.

[QUOTE="peerok, post: 1801997, member: 81538"]Early draft entries will vary from year to year. There were a bunch of very talented guys in the west that will be drafted high when they are eligible. Purdue Rondale Moore and Nebraskas Adrian Martinez were only freshman and wont be able to leave for another two years. Wisconsins Jonathan Taylor and Danny Davis and Minnesota's Tyler Johnson will be able to leave early after this coming year and will probably be drafted high just like Fant and Hock this year.[/QUOTE]

Fair point, that may be the case. But its certainly not the case in the last couple of years.

Iowa 6
Wisconsin 2
Purdue 1
Northwestern 0
Illinois 0
Nebraska 1
Minnesota 0

Everyone else in the West hasn't been losing too many guys.

And its interesting that you mentioned Tyler Johnson from Minnesota. He is a JR and decided to come back for his "last ride" with the Gophers in 2019. He had 10 less receptions, 110 less yards, and 1 less TD than Fant and Hockenson did combined in 2018.

I forget the exact number of points, but Iowa lost about 20 with the transfers and early draft entries. If all had stayed Iowa would have been #3 in the conference behind Michigan & Ohio State. The uptick in recruiting and consistency in player development is great, but it SHOULD add pressure to the in-game coaching.

Still not sure how he measures "production on the field" when compiling his numbers for players each season?

Also noticed his comments about the majority of programs in the conference are ascending so we're not necessarily creating significant separation with our own recruiting efforts being on the upswing. Nebraska was noted in the podcast for making significant progress being maybe a year away from maybe being on top in the West with points and if continued maybe equal to some of the notables in the East.

Nebraska was noted in the podcast for making significant progress being maybe a year away from maybe being on top in the West with points and if continued maybe equal to some of the notables in the East.
giphy.gif

Latest posts