Miller: 2010 Offensive Line Has Early Cushion

Jon,

You just made me feel a lot better about the O-line. Looking at the early schedule and how many defensive starters our opponents lose, makes me feel that we will be alright at O-line especially with the skilled position players that we have returning.

I think our starting 5 will be ok. But will we have any depth if players get hurt? We thought we were going to have a great O-line this year, but I thought it was just ok.

Last edited:
Sounds like a natl title is coming

How bad is MN going to be losing 9 starters on defense?!

Great write-up, Jon.

However, with the Captain at the helm, plus Reese Morgan and Chris Doyle retooling the line, I've got every confidence that the offensive line will be fine.

One other BIG advantage this group has...........Very experienced skill position players to block for in 2010. Ricky Stanzi at QB, Brandon Wegher/Adam Robinson, Jewell Hampton at TB, Derrell JK, McNutt and Reisner all with a TON of experience will help the Offensive line, early on.

:)

I am more concerned about Stanzi than the offensive line. Maybe even who replaces Edds and Angerer.

We are loaded at LB with 5th year seniors in Johnson and Tarpinian and redshirt Juniors in Nielsen and Bruce Davis. I am not worried about LB at all especially when we will have a great D-line.

As for Stanzi, are you concerned about 18-4 as a starter? He is 14-0 in his last 14 starts when he got to finish the game. Ricky Stanzi is a WINNER!!

If our o-line is not at least average, that is a huge concern.

Great insight. Arizona still worries me, mostly based on how we have a tendency to lay eggs on the West Coast. We all remember the ASU game from 2004. Ugh. Must do better vs. Arizona - I already see it as a huge game to vault us up the rankings early in the season.

We are loaded at LB with 5th year seniors in Johnson and Tarpinian and redshirt Juniors in Nielsen and Bruce Davis. I am not worried about LB at all especially when we will have a great D-line.
I understand we have depth there...it's still the lack of experience you lose with Edds and Angerer that concerns me.
As for Stanzi, are you concerned about 18-4 as a starter? He is 14-0 in his last 14 starts when he got to finish the game. Ricky Stanzi is a WINNER!!
Yeah, I am concerned about a guy who still has tendencies to throw into coverage and really, to me, didn't show as much growth as I would have expected to see in the last year. Stanzi has won games largely on the shoulders of his defense. The D should remain strong, but he still needs to develop.
If our o-line is not at least average, that is a huge concern.
Which will make Stanzi's progress that much more critical.

I understand we have depth there...it's still the lack of experience you lose with Edds and Angerer that concerns me.

Yeah, I am concerned about a guy who still has tendencies to throw into coverage and really, to me, didn't show as much growth as I would have expected to see in the last year. Stanzi has won games largely on the shoulders of his defense. The D should remain strong, but he still needs to develop.
Which will make Stanzi's progress that much more critical.

If Ricky Stanzi has a good offensive line, he will have a great year. This year we ranked 99th in Rushing and Stanzi still had a great year. Some QB's have that IT factor. Stanzi is definitely one of them. Yes, he throws too many INT's but he shakes it off and comes back and makes plays. Look at the Indiana and MSU games this year. Look at the G-Tech game. He started the game 9 for 9. The kid is AMAZING. Give Rick Stanzi a good running game and watch out. I am very concerned about our O-line. Without a good O-line, we don't have time to throw the ball and we won't be able to run the ball either.

Stanzi is also an amazing leader.

This is not a given.

He just had a great year this year with a decent o-line, not great, but decent. First QB since 1959 to win a BCS game or equivelant. We didn't lose a single game this year when Stanzi started the game and finished the game. What more do you want?

He just had a great year this year with a decent o-line, not great, but decent. First QB since 1959 to win a BCS game or equivelant. We didn't lose a single game this year when Stanzi started the game and finished the game. What more do you want?

I want better than basically a 1:1 TD to INT ratio for starters.

How's this for a stat? 14-0 in his last 14 games that he started and finished the game.

If you want to close your eyes and pretend Stanzi is invincible then I guess there is nothing else to discuss. I didn't say he was bad. I like Stanzi. I was all for him over Jake...I just said I am concerned and I want to see him improve. W-L is a team stat. I want to see Rick, as an individual, grow some areas of his game that he clearly still struggles with.

If you want to close your eyes and pretend Stanzi is invincible then I guess there is nothing else to discuss. I didn't say he was bad. I like Stanzi. I was all for him over Jake...I just said I am concerned and I want to see him improve. W-L is a team stat. I want to see Rick, as an individual, grow some areas of his game that he clearly still struggles with.

I would agree with you that Rick has areas that he needs to improve on. Every player has things they need to work on. But to say that you are more concerned with Rick Stanzi than the offensive line, doesn't make much sense to me.

I would agree with you that Rick has areas that he needs to improve on. Every player has things they need to work on. But to say that you are more concerned with Rick Stanzi than the offensive line, doesn't make much sense to me.

Because the two aren't mutually exclusive. If the offensive line struggles next year that will most definitely and visibly impact the QB.

Because the two aren't mutually exclusive. If the offensive line struggles next year that will most definitely and visibly impact the QB.

I agree, if the offensive line can't open holes for the runners or give Rick time to throw the ball it doesn't matter how great the skill position players are.

I agree, if the offensive line can't open holes for the runners or give Rick time to throw the ball it doesn't matter how great the skill position players are.

Chicken or Egg?

Having experienced skill players, will definitely help both the offensive line and the Hawkeye offense period. :)