Mike Rice fired

In this day and age, you have to be smarter than what they were. The videos will get out. Once they do, you know the public is going to react .. negatively. Now Rutgers looks bad.

GO HAWKS!!!

"I am responsible for the decision to attempt a rehabilitation of Coach Rice," Rutgers athletics director Tim Pernetti said in statement. "Dismissal and corrective action were debated in December and I thought it was in the best interest of everyone to rehabilitate, but I was wrong. Moving forward, I will work to regain the trust of the Rutgers community."

Spoken like a man trying to hold on to his job. Can you imagine Barta or Pollard getting away with a statement like that?

What was disturbing to me was most of the balls thrown at the players, except for one at the head, appeared to be aimed for the nuggets. That is flat out dangerous, not to mention cruel, and a bit punk-azz.

Bobby knight got away with stuff like that for decades in Bloomington, because he won titles

If I'm the Rutgers president, Robert Barchi, I have one question for my athletics director: what did you see on those tapes that stopped you from terminating your subordinate when you first became aware of them?

Pernetti can't reasonably answer that.

Yep, AD should be next. A bad situation all the way around.

Agree. What, did he get a promise from Rice that he wouldn't act that way anymore if he gave him a 3 game suspension? That's not even one of those, in retrospect, I should have done more moments.

Yep, AD should be next. A bad situation all the way around.
The moment the media got their hands on that practice tape he was as good as gone. As well he should be. I've spent alot of hours in gyms across the country and have never seen anything remotely close to what Rice was doing. I am amazed that there was never any reported physical altercations with players after seeing that. I also thought it was an absolute joke the way the AD initially responded to questions about the tape, almost like he expected it to be no big deal. It very well could cost him his job, especially now that the governer has gotten involved. What a mess.

AD to me is just as bad. Why on earth would you stick up for that? Are they that out of touch with society that they thought that after the public saw that they'd be ok with it? Geez. Bobby Knight thinks that's crossing a line...Ok maybe not but I'm curious what he'll say about it tho. Bottom line that type of "coaching" isn't condusive to the masses of kids/parents out there. So right away that'll limit your recruiting and as a program who wants to have that stigma attached to it?

I live in New Jersey. From what I'm hearing and reading, Christie and Statehouse leaders are going to want more bloodletting. Rutgers could have a new AD by the time they actually start competing in the B1G.

The moment the media got their hands on that practice tape he was as good as gone. As well he should be. I've spent alot of hours in gyms across the country and have never seen anything remotely close to what Rice was doing. I am amazed that there was never any reported physical altercations with players after seeing that. I also thought it was an absolute joke the way the AD initially responded to questions about the tape, almost like he expected it to be no big deal. It very well could cost him his job, especially now that the governer has gotten involved. What a mess.

Unfortunately, I had a coach in high school that was much like this back in 82 and 83. Junior season I quit. Senior season I played (decided F him) but the head coach was on notice to keep the guy away from me if he wanted me on the team. I personally didn't have any problems my senior year.

Side Note - Coincidentally, the guy's kid ended up playing for the Hawks...not football or basketball.

If I'm the Rutgers president, Robert Barchi, I have one question for my athletics director: what did you see on those tapes that stopped you from terminating your subordinate when you first became aware of them?

Pernetti can't reasonably answer that.

Unless the answer is..."In our December meeting you agreed with my assessment of 3 games and $50k."

Bobby knight got away with stuff like that for decades in Bloomington, because he won titles

No it was just a different time and a different era back then you could get away with being a bully, titles or not. What kills me is a man in his position is dropping homophobic slurs like that.......in the world we currently live in how can he not know better?

Does anybody find ESPN somewhat hypocritical in this that they have Bobby Knight working for them?

You have to remember that Rice's supposed "bullying" of players in practice and use of homophobic slurs took place on a campus where two students were tried for cyber-bullying a third student by secretly hiding a camera to video his sexual relations with another man. That student eventually killed himself by jumping off a bridge. In a court of law, probably immaterial. But in the court of public opinion and what might be considered acceptable behavior on Rutgers' campus, Rice was guilty.

He had never finished above 500... losing coach at a school with not a lot of basketball tradition - yeah you are not gettign away with that..

Latest posts