Mike Gesell

DunderMifflinHk

Now that we lost out on Paige what are our chances of landing Gesell? If we could get him and Woodbury that would be a terrific class. They are both listed as 4 stars on scout now.

I can tell you right now that one of my best friends knows him personally and he has told me Gesell is holding out for Kansas scholarship but Nebraska - yeah I know - is his favorite right now. Nebraska has been recruiting him and first to give him a scholarship since 8th grade. Plus it's his "home team". I asked my bud (an Iowa fan) if Hawks have a chance and he said, "He's not going to Iowa". He wants to play in the Big 12, so Iowa State may still be in picture but he really wants to play for Kansas from the sounds of it and then if that doesn't happen, Nebraska. I don't even know if Fran is even recruiting him anymore.

I know Oglesby is trying to encourage him to come to Iowa but he also tried getting Paige to Iowa as well. That didn't work. Paige and Gesell play together on Martin Brothers AAU. Oglesby is also working to get Woodbury to come to Iowa. I think Woodbury is a near certainty to come to Iowa. He's a project but man his height would be valuable and talent ceiling is high.

He can hold out all he wants he's not getting a offer from kansas. I don't think he has a ISU offer currently.

FWIW i know that Gesell loves to play uptempo and that Fran's been recruiting him pretty hard as of this last summer. he's a good to great scorer, but not really big, and we could really, really use some size. he'd be a great get if we could also get Woodbury, I think they'd make a fantastic combo.

I know Gessell is a good player, but I think it would be good to see Wesley Staten in an Iowa uniform over Gessell, not that I would turn Gessell down by any means. If you want size, one of Basabe's ex-high school teammates has Iowa on his list Nick Stauskas a 6'4" SG, there is a shooter with good size. It will all come down to who Iowa can sign this Spring though to who they really target for the 2012 class and pursue extremely hard in the Summer. It is fun to speculate on the 2012 kids, but I am far more concerned about who Iowa has coming next season. If Iowa can get Stokes and a big, it will be interesting moving forward. That being said, I don't think you will see Iowa turn down anyone rated in the Top 150 for 2012 as Gessell is.

Great kid, great family and super highschool player. I'm a little concerned about his upside. Has great mid range shot, very smart, good defender and a very good competitor. I'm just not sure of upside at Big 10/Big 12 level.

As for Staten I know ISU is pursueing him hard again.

Someone else stated this in another thread, Fran and his staff need to focus on recruits outside the mid-west (Big 10 footprint) that know nothing about Iowa basketball. These recruits familiar with Iowa's struggles are going to be tough sells. We have a much better chance with recruits from the east/west coast at this point. May be able to get some big ones that just want to play for a Big Ten program regardless of how awful they are and in hopes help improve the team. Then once Iowa is somewhat respectable, more local kids get interested.

Great kid, great family and super highschool player. I'm a little concerned about his upside. Has great mid range shot, very smart, good defender and a very good competitor. I'm just not sure of upside at Big 10/Big 12 level.

As for Staten I know ISU is pursueing him hard again.
How many times has Staten committed/decommitted to the Clones? Twice now at least, right?

Can Gesell play point guard in the Big ten? Is he quick enough, is he as athletic as cartwright, sounds like a great kid, tough competitor but I have not seen him play? he doesnt appear big enough to play a 2 or 3, anybody that has watched him play?? Is he similar to Cully Payne?

I can tell you right now that one of my best friends knows him personally and he has told me Gesell is holding out for Kansas scholarship but Nebraska - yeah I know - is his favorite right now. Nebraska has been recruiting him and first to give him a scholarship since 8th grade. Plus it's his "home team". I asked my bud (an Iowa fan) if Hawks have a chance and he said, "He's not going to Iowa". He wants to play in the Big 12, so Iowa State may still be in picture but he really wants to play for Kansas from the sounds of it and then if that doesn't happen, Nebraska. I don't even know if Fran is even recruiting him anymore.

So he wants to play for Nebraska and in Big 12. Nebraska is joining the Big 10 next year. Going to have to make a decision on that one.

Sounds like Iowa is a longshot for Mike but you never know. It sounds like Iowa has re-established it's relationship with Martin Bros AAU.

How does playing for Nebraska accomplish this?

Sounds like Iowa is a longshot for Mike but you never know. It sounds like Iowa has re-established it's relationship with Martin Bros AAU.

Could you please explain what you mean by re-establishing this relationship with Iowa. If your talking about the last staff, they didn't have a relationship with anybody. I have also realized that when it comes to the bigger recruits the input of Hank and the MB crew has very little impact on the players. The best thing about playing for Martin Brothers is the exposure and competition these kids are exposed to. Especially this year since Nike has picked up the sponsorship on the older team, and they will be doing even more traveling nation wide.

Sullivan has tried in the past to be a have a impact on where some of his players have gone. I think thats why some of the kids have left his program and gone up to Ames. I also feel that having the Martin Brothers team now doing its practices up in Ames is a positive for ISU.

someone told me that Gesell's brother played for McDermott and that he like creighton better than nebraska

I agree I think Creighton is the team to beat but I think he's definitely considering Iowa as well as other schools. Not to be overly obvious but if we sign Woodbury and some other good players it would really help our chances.

Iowa State isn't going after Gessell, don't think he is that good. I hear McDermott at Creighton isn't that high on him either. And maybe Kansas does offer him and plays him like they play Morningstar.

Staten only decommitted once. There were rumors the first time but that's all they were. ISU still really likes him even though the kid is a bit of an idiot

Latest posts