Michigan-Illinois gets 2:30 ABC slot?

iowamike21

How does the Michigan-Illinois game earn the 2:30 ABC slot and MSU-Iowa end up on ESPN2 at 11? How are the fast-falling Illini and the beaten Wolverines a better match-up than MSU at Iowa?

Just wondering...

Nebraska/Penn State was most deserving of that slot, I thought. Obviously because of the history the two programs have, but also the Huskers are still in the hunt for the Legends despite losing to NW.

The best part about going to the Minn game was the 2:30 start time.

That is one thing that they definitely have over us. Well, that and Floyd.

11AM games SUCK.

I love 2:30 kickoffs. But i have a wedding at 4 that day so im perfectly ok with it.

Aren't the 2:30 kickoffs on ABC more regionalized than an 11am kickoff on ESPN/ESPN2? Being on ESPN2 the entire country gets to watch the game.

With that said I can understand if you are going to the game that 11am sucks for a start time vs 2:30

I would have to say ratings is what's driving that decision. A Michigan/Illinois matchup will get better ratings than MSU/Iowa. That's the only reason I can come up with as there is more on the line in the Iowa/MSU game.

Of course it is ratings. What else what drive a network TV decision?

With the BCS it makes national interest in regional games go down unless the team is in the BCS hunt.

Seriously, nobody outside of B1G fan bases cares who wins the Legends.

ESPN/ABC appears to have made a strategic decision to put the better Big 10 games at the 11:00 slot on ESPN. MSU-UM, MSU-NE, PSU-NE were all 11:00 starts.

It seems Iowa is better with early starts. They are 5-1 with 11:00 game time, and are 0-2 in games that are 2:30 starts (1-0 at night). I like that we are playing at 11.

How does the Michigan-Illinois game earn the 2:30 ABC slot and MSU-Iowa end up on ESPN2 at 11? How are the fast-falling Illini and the beaten Wolverines a better match-up than MSU at Iowa?

Just wondering...

Because they're Michgan. And we're not. :mad:

Just wondering...

Who cares, I love the 11:00 start time

They are two states with bigger populations to draw from, so they will probably draw more fans. Sure UM and MSU are in the same state, but does anyone really think the fan ratio isn't tilted heavily towards UM? I think their rivalry is bigger than Iowa/MSU too. Watching the game on TV or being at it, I would much rather have an 11am start time anyway.

Latest posts