Michigan and Ohio State in Same Division BETTER for Big Ten?

I think we have to wait until we find out who teams 15 and 16 are (I think it's inevitable they move to 16, and sooner rather than later. We've heard those last two teams could be Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina or Boston College. When that's done then the next argument is whether to have 2 divisions of 8 or pods of 4. I would think 2 divisions of 8, that would make an easy lead into the B1G title game.

I think Michigan and OSU would be best suited on the same side, I think they would have to split Michigan and MSU if they did make that move.

I don't think you understand how a pod system would work. It would still be 2 divisons every year just every 2 years the pods switch divisions.

Fox example say ND and BC joined it might look something like this
Pod A Wisc/Neb/Iowa/minn
Pod B Mich/MSU/Ill/NW
Pod C OSU/Ind/Rut/Mary
Pod D ND/PSU/Pur/BC

First 2 years divisions would be A/B would be division and C/D would be division. Then for 2 years A/C be division and B/D be a division. Then A/D and B/C

Good stuff WhitUp. However wins/loses aren't the only factor. You must also consider tradition, national perception, and most importantly, money. When you factor in those, Michigan, OSU, PSU, & Nebraska are well above everyone else in the conference and its really not even close.

Currently Michigan, PSU, & OSU are a notch above everyone else in the conference in terms of profit. Probably because they have 20,000+ people paying to see each home game. They're brand name, their jersey does the heavy lifting when it comes to recruiting. Nebraska's did with Osborne but not so much since. Still nationally known but not where they were in the '80s & '90s.

In the "Arm's Race" those teams simply have more ammo than the other B10 schools. Always have, always will.

All good points, but I think the "national perception" is the big ten sucks. Moving forward Penn State isn't your daddy's Penn state and may never be again. Penn state has one championship to Wisconsin 5 since joining the conference all of their tradation is over 30 years ago. Fans you can't argue with, but as far as total revenue Iowa is 93 million, wisky 96 to PSU 116 not like they are on a whole different level.

Last edited:
Back in the waning days of your radio show with Dase it was accepted fact of said show that OSU/Michigan would be in the same division.

Jon why don't you and Deace do a podcast on this. Back in the day you guys breaking down the conference was the best radio. Love to hear a podcast of you guys breaking down current realignments.

Also, it's better to have them in opposite divisions so they can play in the championship game. That's big ratings.

Also, it's better to have them in opposite divisions so they can play in the championship game. That's big ratings.

Yes anytime a team plays the last week of the season and then turns around and plays a week later, it's "BIG" ratings

Yes anytime a team plays the last week of the season and then turns around and plays a week later, it's "BIG" ratings
They're the two biggest schools in the conference with one of the biggest rivalries in sports. Having them play for the championship would be bigger than any other possible matchup, even if they played a week earlier.

Not when they played the game a week earlier, if they say played early in the season it would be, but nobody ever wants to see a rerun of the week before. It'd be a lot bigger ratings if they didn't play back to back.

I mean let's say this year if OSU beats michigan saturday wouldn't you rather watch osu/nebraska for title rather then rematch a week later? Unless it's a great game or if the teams were like 1 vs 2 like a few years back you'd rather see the other matchup. Still going to get descent ratings just if they play the week before it loses it's luster.

Last edited:
It'd be bigger ratings if they didn't play back to back, i agree, but even back-to-back, OSU/UM would be bigger than OSU/Neb or UM/Wis or any other possible matchup.

it just depends if they are clearly the 2 best teams then yeah, but if michigan and nebraska are basically the same I think people would rather watch a different matchup.

Latest posts