Micah Hyde - Packers

NFL.com lists Micah as a FS. I highly doubt he'll be a CB in the NFL. maybe in on dime and nickel packages, but not a true CB.

This. He's like the majority of Iowa cornerbacks: he lacks the fluidity in his hips to turn and run with most NFL-caliber receivers, especially if he's asked to play press coverage. That doesn't make him a bad player; Charles Godfrey and Amari Spievey are arguably the two best cover corners we've had in the last decade, and both switched to safety right away in the NFL. Fletcher is the only guy who stayed at corner (what I wouldn't have given to have him back in 2009; not that Prater was bad, but a Fletcher/Spievey duo would have been downright scary, especially with Prater as a nickelback).

You can lack that fluidity and still be a very good college cornerback, which Hyde was. You can't lack that fluidity and be a very good NFL corner. But you don't need that as much when you're at safety, and he'll be a good fit as a FS with his ball skills.

I think its a good fit for Hyde. With the packers not exactly tearing it up on the defense the last few years, he should get ample opportunities to see the field soon.

The packers are in a big need of a safety and I think that is where Hyde goes. However, they will likely lose a corner in Williams next year and Shields in 2 years to free agency and since they can no longer sign any players due to Rodgers and Matthews. Also Burnett is in the last year of his rookie deal as well.

The packers are in a big need of a safety and I think that is where Hyde goes. However, they will likely lose a corner in Williams next year and Shields in 2 years to free agency and since they can no longer sign any players due to Rodgers and Matthews. Also Burnett is in the last year of his rookie deal as well.

Both contracts are extremely top heavy, Ted Thompson knows what he is doing that's why the Pack picks in the 20s or 30s ever year.

I can tell you are a bitter bears or vikings fan.

Both contracts are extremely top heavy, Ted Thompson knows what he is doing that's why the Pack picks in the 20s or 30s ever year.

Yeah, they're front-loaded. But when we're talking about players with one or two years left on their current deals, it really doesn't matter if Rodgers' and Matthews' contracts are front-loaded. That means they're getting big bucks the next few years before it starts tapering off. Which means that Thompson's hands might be tied when it comes to resigning some of their current defensive backs.

Actuall a huge packer's fan, but I'm worried about them being able to re-sign the players they have developed due to insufficient funds. We know they don't sign very many big name FAs but they have to be able to resign guys that they have developed. Now, with that said I wouldn't want Rodgers going anywhere else, but I'm not as sold on Clay Matthews because he's relatively 1 dimensional IMO, but I'm not TT so I don't make those decisions.

Also, unless you pick last in the first round does it really matter?

Latest posts