Merged - Big 12 Aftermath Thread

I hope the B12 takes all four. Would be a pretty decent conference in terms of balance. Finance issues will be a challenge.

Yeah, I think this conference would be pretty competitive. I think it solidifies the Big 10 and SEC as the two premier conferences in the country and everybody else is somewhere below them. The new Big 12 would lack a headliner and unfortunately those schools drive a lot of the TV revenue. I think it would be on par or better than the Pac 12 and the ACC most years.

The funding thing is the snag. I think this does is buy the remaining 8 schools some time. The other 4 will take some sort of reduced payout at first, and hopefully between the exit fees for OU/UT and whatever negotiation they make regarding their GoR, that can tide the remaining 8 schools over for a a few years without having to make major cuts to their programs.

For the Big 12 to remain viable financially past 2025 they'll need another player to enter media rights negotiations. My hope is somebody like Amazon enters the fray - they won't get an established conference like the SEC or Big 10 to sign their rights over to streaming, but they might be able to get a diminished Big 12 to sign on and they may be willing to overpay for it. They paid 1 billion for the rights to carry 15 Thursday night NFL games, which I think goes to show what they are willing to do.

Yeah, I think this conference would be pretty competitive. I think it solidifies the Big 10 and SEC as the two premier conferences in the country and everybody else is somewhere below them. The new Big 12 would lack a headliner and unfortunately those schools drive a lot of the TV revenue. I think it would be on par or better than the Pac 12 and the ACC most years.

The funding thing is the snag. I think this does is buy the remaining 8 schools some time. The other 4 will take some sort of reduced payout at first, and hopefully between the exit fees for OU/UT and whatever negotiation they make regarding their GoR, that can tide the remaining 8 schools over for a a few years without having to make major cuts to their programs.

For the Big 12 to remain viable financially past 2025 they'll need another player to enter media rights negotiations. My hope is somebody like Amazon enters the fray - they won't get an established conference like the SEC or Big 10 to sign their rights over to streaming, but they might be able to get a diminished Big 12 to sign on and they may be willing to overpay for it. They paid 1 billion for the rights to carry 15 Thursday night NFL games, which I think goes to show what they are willing to do.
I think ViacomCBS is the only hope for a savior media network. They will want linear TV content that they could also put on ParamountPlus. But I can't see them paying very much. The problem is that the only two guaranteed even semi marquee games the conference will have will be OSU-OU and ISU-UI and the media partner will only get those games in alternating years. The way Fox has taken the prime slot at noon with Big Noon Saturday, ABC/ESPN has taken the prime slot at 3:30 (which CBS had with the SEC game of the week) and ABC/ESPN always has something epic at 7:30, it is hard to stake out a place for the new Big 12. Maybe UCF or Houston could draw some attention late in the season if they are 10-0 or something, but it is gonna be really hard to find any sort of draw for that conference from October 1 through November 15 and that is gonna hinder their media rights value quite a bit.

I told you they’d act fast.

I think ViacomCBS is the only hope for a savior media network. They will want linear TV content that they could also put on ParamountPlus. But I can't see them paying very much. The problem is that the only two guaranteed even semi marquee games the conference will have will be OSU-OU and ISU-UI and the media partner will only get those games in alternating years. The way Fox has taken the prime slot at noon with Big Noon Saturday, ABC/ESPN has taken the prime slot at 3:30 (which CBS had with the SEC game of the week) and ABC/ESPN always has something epic at 7:30, it is hard to stake out a place for the new Big 12. Maybe UCF or Houston could draw some attention late in the season if they are 10-0 or something, but it is gonna be really hard to find any sort of draw for that conference from October 1 through November 15 and that is gonna hinder their media rights value quite a bit.

It can't be any of the existing players. CBS or NBC or whatever can't be the one to roll in because you're right, they aren't going to pay enough.

It has to be a streamer. Amazon I think is the only one who makes sense because they are the only one that seems to be interested sports.

It can't be any of the existing players. CBS or NBC or whatever can't be the one to roll in because you're right, they aren't going to pay enough.

It has to be a streamer. Amazon I think is the only one who makes sense because they are the only one that seems to be interested sports.

Nah, Amazon is not going to invest in college ball. Someone else does the production on those Thursday games and they got streaming rights from the NFL's linear TV channel. No way in hell is Amazon going to invest in the production side for college ball. Absolutely no way.

Both Viacom and NBC are trying to bring subs onto their streaming platforms, Paramount Plus and Peacock. Live content is their next foray for building those. Peacock had a bunch of crap from the Olympics and will have the NBC Sunday night NFL game and Paramount Plus will have the CBS NFL games. The streaming market has changed radically in the past 18 months.

Nah, Amazon is not going to invest in college ball. Someone else does the production on those Thursday games and they got streaming rights from the NFL's linear TV channel. No way in hell is Amazon going to invest in the production side for college ball. Absolutely no way.

Both Viacom and NBC are trying to bring subs onto their streaming platforms, Paramount Plus and Peacock. Live content is their next foray for building those. Peacock had a bunch of crap from the Olympics and will have the NBC Sunday night NFL game and Paramount Plus will have the CBS NFL games. The streaming market has changed radically in the past 18 months.

Projections are that B1G/SEC schools will be making 75 mil per school from their media rights deal once they re-negotiate. I don't see a streaming service overpaying that much for BYU and Central Florida.

Last edited:
Projections are that B1G/SEC schools will be making 75 mil per school from their TV rights deal once they re-negotiate. I don't see a streaming service overpaying that much for BYU and Central Florida.

Is this on top of what each Big Ten school gets from the BTN?

You root for playoff expansion. The more teams, the better. A 12 team playoff gets you one team and some years 2 teams in. You combine it with 4-6 teams perennially making the college basketball tournament and that gives you a little bit of coin. ESPN or FOX gives you a bone for your media rights it will not be enough to match the other conferences, but it will be enough to survive without dropping to MAC status. That's how the Big 12 survives after 2025.

This is false now - they hired like several football production guys and they are taking over the NFL on Thursday production. They will be in production of games, it's just a matter of how much they expand.

Projections are that B1G/SEC schools will be making 75 mil per school from their media rights deal once they re-negotiate. I don't see a streaming service overpaying that much for BYU and Central Florida.

Nope. Let's be honest - there are two leagues that are going to command dollars, that's the SEC and the Big 10. Everybody else is going to be lagging behind significantly. My hot take is think the new Big 12 deal will be on par with what the PAC 12 and the ACC get.

Nope. Let's be honest - there are two leagues that are going to command dollars, that's the SEC and the Big 10. Everybody else is going to be lagging behind significantly. My hot take is think the new Big 12 deal will be on par with what the PAC 12 and the ACC get.
Not even. The ACC and P12 actually have marquee media draw teams. The Big 8 don't have a single one even with the new additions.

Not even. The ACC and P12 actually have marquee media draw teams. The Big 8 don't have a single one even with the new additions.

BYU is the undisputed best draw in that conference. UCF is number 2. Neither of those have the pull to drive a media deal like the ACC or P12. Maybe the Big 12 deal will all in be the equal to just the tier one rights of the Pac 12, but the other conferences all have networks. A Big 12 Network is worth next to nothing.

I haven't read anything further on this. Does the expansion then cause a dilution in distributions that lets Texas and Oklahoma leave next year without a messy lawsuit? You'd think they could negotiate a settlement at this point bince the Big 12 has conceded they are toast.

BYU is the undisputed best draw in that conference. UCF is number 2. Neither of those have the pull to drive a media deal like the ACC or P12. Maybe the Big 12 deal will all in be the equal to just the tier one rights of the Pac 12, but the other conferences all have networks. A Big 12 Network is worth next to nothing.

I haven't read anything further on this. Does the expansion then cause a dilution in distributions that lets Texas and Oklahoma leave next year without a messy lawsuit? You'd think they could negotiate a settlement at this point bince the Big 12 has conceded they are toast.

UCF only had one game last year over 3 million viewers and that was their game against Georgia Tech.

BYU's best viewed game was 1.55 million viewers against UCF in their bowl.

Several Big 12 teams get more eyeballs than that.

There will be no Big 12 network and there shouldn't be. The Pac 12 network currently demands .13 per subscriber and has 14.8 million subs. It's paying less than 3 million per school, or basically barely more than ISU was getting for Cyclones.TV from Mediacom.

As to your second paragraph, it's exactly the opposite. The Big 12 is going nowhere now, and so they'll definitely be on the hook for the full payout on the OU/UT exit fees, and there will probably be some prolonged negotiation on their GoR fees.