Men's Basketball Assistant Coaches

1977Hawkeye

I've read enough football threads over the years to see that the assistant football coaches can often be lightning rods of criticism. With the football program, the role of each assistant seems pretty clear cut - offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, special teams coach, offensive line coach, etc. etc. So it's easy to call a certain coach into question if a particular unit is struggling.

What I don't see a lot of is discussion around Iowa's assistant coaches on the basketball team, but the focus instead is usually centered around Fran's coaching. Do we have a "front court coach", rebounding coach, etc. or do all of our assistants work together on the same fundamental areas?

What are your thoughts on our basketball assistants? Are they getting it done? Should Fran consider a shakeup if certain things aren't being taught effectively, and/or if certain assistants aren't pulling their weight when it comes to recruiting?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but as in football, I also feel it's extremely important for a basketball coach to surround himself with worthy assistants for both teaching and recruiting purposes, so I just wanted to throw this out there and see what people think.

I think the biggest criticism I have with Fran's staff is recruiting abilities. We were told Sherman Dillard had "connections" with his background with Nike camps. Fran called Andrew Francis a "Recruiting barracuda" but I don't see it.

I think it's easier to discuss the assistant football coaches because they are assigned to positions and you can obviously judge them based on the performance of those groups.

Basketball... unless you really follow recruiting closely (which I don't) perhaps you can identify the guys that have the relationship with the recruits we are bringing in but other than that, how can you really tell who brings what to the table as far as the game plan, player development or anything else??

From what I gather, Francis and Dillard are the main recruiters along with Fran. I don't hear much about Speraw out on the recruiting trail.

Do these guys want a head coaching position? This a serious question. What college would look at any of these cats if our program runs hot and cold like the past few years have been. I would assume yes, and if, so, then they need to work a little harder in getting kids through the door and into the gym. There is no damn reason why Iowa can't get these kids....If Fran gets mad, they get mad, if Fran has his hands on his head then they slink back in their seats.....Not sold on these guys....

Do these guys want a head coaching position? This a serious question. What college would look at any of these cats if our program runs hot and cold like the past few years have been. I would assume yes, and if, so, then they need to work a little harder in getting kids through the door and into the gym. There is no damn reason why Iowa can't get these kids....If Fran gets mad, they get mad, if Fran has his hands on his head then they slink back in their seats.....Not sold on these guys....

Love posts like these... since you want to call out the assistant coaches to work a little harder, please provide the specifics that you know about their work ethic, schedule and how they can work harder.

Latest posts