Men's and women's athletic department at U of IA should be separate?

Should there be two departments?

• No.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Hello? 2 departments? There are more than 2 genders you idiot.

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, it should not be separate. The athletic department is almost solely funded by the football team and donors. Your "womens department" would turn a loss every single year and have to borrow funding from the "mens department". There are obvious problems with that.

Further, both departments would ultimately report to the same person...probably the president...who is currently a man. When the president is a man and he favors the mens department because they actually turn a profit....how many more problems are going to be caused?

the NCAA has an ad that has women stating "genders don't play sports, athletes do."

So why does the NCAA have gender specific sports?

If it cost that much money to support a sport, then maybe we should not have that support at all? Why do we have to pay all of this money to support a sport that nobody really cares about except the people playing it? And of course the groups that will bash and attack you if you don't do it?
This is so freaking stupid. the fans, really only care about a certain amount of sports. If other athletes want to support a sport and play it, then they should freaking fund it what their money or their parents money.
I know, I am becoming an asshole. I can't help it. All of this shit is just driving me nuts about being politically correct, gender specifics, right and wrong and I am… Tired of it

Oh boy. After reading my post. It sounds more like a rant. I am sure I have offended a whole bunch of people.
Now that I've just said all this, I realize, once again, I really don't care.

If it cost that much money to support a sport, then maybe we should not have that support at all? Why do we have to pay all of this money to support a sport that nobody really cares about except the people playing it? And of course the groups that will bash and attack you if you don't do it?
This is so freaking stupid. the fans, really only care about a certain amount of sports. If other athletes want to support a sport and play it, then they should freaking fund it what their money or their parents money.
I know, I am becoming an asshole. I can't help it. All of this shit is just driving me nuts about being politically correct, gender specifics, right and wrong and I am… Tired of it
If that were the test wrestling wouldn't exist anymore. There are about four schools that maybe make money off that sport. If every school that has wrestling had to make money on the sport to support it we'd be wrestling Penn St and OK st 10x each a year and all the other schools would shut it down unfortunately.

College sports weren't originally created to make money for universities. Now, the big revenue sports have become such a monster with TV and all that our perspective has now become completely tainted. Of course, we should find a way to offer as many sports for women as men no matter the unbalance in revenues between the genders. Make it work.

College sports weren't originally created to make money for universities. Now, the big revenue sports have become such a monster with TV and all that our perspective has now become completely tainted. Of course, we should find a way to offer as many sports for women as men no matter the unbalance in revenues between the genders. Make it work.
You are absolutely right about the creation of college sports. Teamwork and competition were thought to be important to the education of a well-rounded individual, and at that time most of those students were men. The advent of college sports as a means of financing programs came later.. Profit was not the reason for a sport to exist and as more women went to college more women wanted to participate as they had done in high school. It is a recent phenomena that sports programs had to pay for themselves, Be pretty hard if other programs had to do that.

Homer Simpson: "Lisa, if the Bible has taught us anything--and it hasn't--it's that girls should stick to female sports, like foxy boxing, and hot oil wrestling and such and such"

Marge Simpson: "WHERE in the Bible does it say THAT?!"

Homer: "Somewhere in the back..."

Last edited:

Latest posts