Melsahn's "T"

I'm sure he said something. Don't know what. But if you want to get the game back under control in those situations, you don't call a BS technical on Basabe when Iowa was being mauled, because of your ****** officiating, because he had a few words for a player who fouled him (with no call) on a monster dunk.

You get control back by calling a flagrant foul or two on those dirty plays, not by penalizing the team taking the beating the first time they step remotely out of line.

I agree with you but I'm guessing since the ref didn't call a foul he didn't think there was one. When he sees Mel dunk on a guy, stare him down and say get the f&@! outta here n@$$a he thinks that is probably worthy of a T.

I agree with you but I'm guessing since the ref didn't call a foul he didn't think there was one. When he sees Mel dunk on a guy, stare him down and say get the f&@! outta here n@$$a he thinks that is probably worthy of a T.

I don't see what the big deal is. I say that all the time.

I agree with you but I'm guessing since the ref didn't call a foul he didn't think there was one. When he sees Mel dunk on a guy, stare him down and say get the f&@! outta here n@$$a he thinks that would probably worthy of a T.

There was a lot of that going on last night. It's not Basabe's fault the officials were terrible. Not Hightower terrible (favoring the brass of the conference's coaches), just plain God-awful and clueless on how to keep a game from getting out of hand.

Not saying they deliberately slanted against Iowa, because I don't think they did. But once things started getting out of hand, they didn't have the first clue as to how to rein things in, and got it wrong with the T, IMO.

Ya that language is used throughout just about every game i go to or see on TV...He must have viewed it as taunting.... I was just saying that was why I thought he gave him the T. If I was Mel I would have been ****** too... fouls should have been called

The other night in the Indiana-Purdue game, Sheehey dunks and lets out a caveman yell...no T. Later he gets fouled with an AND 1, so he turns to the Purdue student section and flexes his .22 caliber gun and kisses it basically, yet no T. Basabe dunks and smiles while running down the court and he gets a T. Hell, MSU should get 10 T's per game, as Payne, Nix or Dawson always have some huge display of emotion after flushing one.

Yeah, this kind of stuff happens all the time and when it gets called, you can't help but ask yourself how many T's like that could be called in a game.

Yeah, this kind of stuff happens all the time and when it gets called, you can't help but ask yourself how many T's like that could be called in a game.

Go ahead and watch any college basketball game. DO IT. You will not see someone get hammered dunking or in the open court with no fouls called. It was a mauling that Penn State was getting away with and it was getting worse because of it. Dunk after Dunk after Dunk in college basketball happens with players putting arms up, being excited about it, talking smack. This technical was so bad that nobody including the players, coaches, or other refs knew what the technical was for. The announcers thought it was because Woody was excited about it and threw his hands in the air!?!?! Point is... it was a foul on Penn State and the refs were simply feeling sorry for them all game. IT was though they were trying to get Penn State a win.

Worst officiating I have seen this year. The little black official on the baseline (don't know his name) should be penalized/fined. Is he from Pennsylvania? It was sick... no reason for this.

Go ahead and watch any college basketball game. DO IT. You will not see someone get hammered dunking or in the open court with no fouls called. It was a mauling that Penn State was getting away with and it was getting worse because of it. Dunk after Dunk after Dunk in college basketball happens with players putting arms up, being excited about it, talking smack. This technical was so bad that nobody including the players, coaches, or other refs knew what the technical was for. The announcers thought it was because Woody was excited about it and threw his hands in the air!?!?! Point is... it was a foul on Penn State and the refs were simply feeling sorry for them all game. IT was though they were trying to get Penn State a win.

Worst officiating I have seen this year. The little black official on the baseline (don't know his name) should be penalized/fined. Is he from Pennsylvania? It was sick... no reason for this.

He meant the jawing after a play like that probably happens all the time, usually with no call.

I agree with the post above who said "Shame on Penn State's coach who is obviously teaching his kids to play this way". If he isn't teaching it... he sure is allowing it. What are they learning about basketball? About life? No wonder they have not won a Big Ten game this year... hope they don't. Never been so mad at a team after beating them to a pulp.

He meant the jawing after a play like that probably happens all the time, usually with no call.

Exactly... I agree. People claiming he said something? OH NO!!! Happens all the time! You think Penn State players weren't talking?

The other night in the Indiana-Purdue game, Sheehey dunks and lets out a caveman yell...no T. Later he gets fouled with an AND 1, so he turns to the Purdue student section and flexes his .22 caliber gun and kisses it basically, yet no T. Basabe dunks and smiles while running down the court and he gets a T. Hell, MSU should get 10 T's per game, as Payne, Nix or Dawson always have some huge display of emotion after flushing one.

From an officiating standpoint, do you see any difference between a player's general emotional yell after a dunk or a player making a non-threatening gesture towards the crowd following a foul and a player who has just made a great play glaring at the opponent who tried to stop him and saying something threatening, taunting or profane towards him?

From an officiating standpoint, do you see any difference between a player's general emotional yell after a dunk or a player making a non-threatening gesture towards the crowd following a foul and a player who has just made a great play glaring at the opponent who tried to stop him and saying something threatening, taunting or profane towards him?

Good point. In college football they have tried to take away the focus on the single player with the unsportsmanlike penalties for players "drawing attention" to themselves, but let talking go on every play. I ask you, what do you consider is worse?

I'm not really a fan of taunting penalties period.

I don't have a problem with taunting penalties, I have a problem with how it is policed. It is the same in calling a T for taunting, or jawing in basketball.

If ref/officials let it go early and then decide to call it, the wrong message is sent. Honestly to me a guy flexing his muscle and making a spectacle of himself is worse than jawing because the jawing doesn't stop no matter how many penalties or T's are called. No matter what there will always be trash talk.

For the record, kids not being able to express themselves, within reason, is something that shouldn't be frowned upon.

In this league, after dunks, you see players scream, dance, flex, and bull their way through the opposition with impunity, but they call that T on Basabe. Why?

In this league, after dunks, you see players scream, dance, flex, and bull their way through the opposition with impunity, but they call that T on Basabe. Why?

My take is that what differentiated what he did from the general yells after dunks or great plays is that he may have made what the officials considered a threatening move or said something towards an opponent. Officials try to nip that in the bud.

Sheehey just got a T for a lot less than Mel did. Apparently this is a thing now. I guess players are going to have their feelings hurt unless refs call technicals all the time.

Latest posts