Meh.....It's all about the Tournament

deanvogs

Once Iowa blew the game Vs Wisconsin and OSU, I moved onto caring about the NCAA tournament, as the B1G title was out of grasp. If we go to the Sweet 16, I really don't care how we finished the year.

I'm with you and I wonder if there is any chance that the NCAA tournament may be just what the Hawks need. I know there will be some time to scout the opponent but I think it could benefit the hawks to face some new blood and go against some coaches that haven't prepared to play against Mike, Woody and Uthoff and Clemmons for 3/4 years.

We were gifted a chance to win the B1G title and couldn't win at home or beat a bad team on the road. It definitely stings. Plus I don't see any way this team makes the Sweet 16. Teams have figured out how to slow down Jok and Uthoff and we don't have the players to make up for it

I'm on board with this.

The last couple weeks have been rough, but the team played better last night. Ran into a buzzsaw (as teams did against us earlier this season), and had some bad stretches ... but there was improvement from previous games.

Everything to this point is 100% forgivable, with a little run in march. Do they have it in them? I hope so.

I can't argue the theme of this post, but Iowa has played it's way out of a high seed, out of playing in Des Moines (presumably), and is probably looking at a situation where it's going to have to overachieve to get out of the first weekend, having to play a higher seed in the 2nd round.. If they make it that far.

Sweet 16 is now the benchmark. Two and done (or one, god-forbid) and it will validate the disappointment. Make it to the second weekend and many will forgive. Make it to the Elite 8 and they'll forget.

I don't see how anyone can honestly think this team will play better in the NCAA tournament.

I agree with this. I don't expect Iowa to win their next two games and I think the Michigan game could get really ugly.

But the fact is basketball is about matchups and if Iowa gets the right one, you never know. Iowa has been ice cold on offense. The law of averages says at some point that will turn around. If it does, Iowa could win some games.

I honestly don't care about the next 2 games but if Iowa somehow wins 2 games in the NCAA tournament it will be their best season in 20 years. If they win 3, it will be their best season in 30 years.

Playing like last night should get us past the first round. A deep run isn't in the cards for this team tho because they can't win close games.

Once Iowa blew the game Vs Wisconsin and OSU, I moved onto caring about the NCAA tournament, as the B1G title was out of grasp. If we go to the Sweet 16, I really don't care how we finished the year.

Heard this two years ago. Nothing has changed to make me think differently. The team is still mentally weak with no leader.

I'm watching that OJ Simpson show on the FX Channel and I am really hoping he is found guilty this time, but I have a sinking feeling the jury is going to blow the verdict again.

I'm watching that OJ Simpson show on the FX Channel and I am really hoping he is found guilty this time, but I have a sinking feeling the jury is going to blow the verdict again.

He clearly didn't do it. The cop that has said the N word before framed him because he is black.

I don't think this team wins another game all year. An epic collapse. They will have lost 8 out of the last 9 to end the year. But hey at least it's not the licklighter years. I know people will remind me where we were. Fran has brought the program back to respectability. But is this his ceiling? Should we accept mediocre because it's better than the absolute dog crap we used to be? I honestly don't know, but it's frustrating.

I'm not going to beat up the OP for this. He's got some hope left. There is some logic in that in the big dance we'll be playing a team that hasn't scouted/played against us a bunch of times and knows us inside out. If Jok and Uthoff get hot this team can knock off anyone (just about) Do I have much confidence in that? Well no we've lost 4 strait and coulda/shoulda/woulda won all of them. But if we are going to settle for tough outside off balance jumpers when you could be going to the hole and getting to the freethrow line it just is what it is. I know Uthoff has the ultimate green light but with that should be some common sense of time/score and how you've been shooting.

I'm so confused. I like this team, but cannot figure out why or how they absolutely come unglued in the final 5 minutes of a game. Is this a good team? I think so but based on their inability to close out a game in the last 5 minutes I'm not sure. Is it the players? The coaching? Both? I have no idea at this point. I do know though that unless the BIG and NCAA tournaments eliminate the final 5 minutes of a the second half, I truly don't know how we plan on advancing.

Heard this two years ago. Nothing has changed to make me think differently. The team is still mentally weak with no leader.

I don't disagree.

You would think the seniors would have learned their lesson, especially since they finished strong last season. I am most disappointed in Uthoff. I don't know what his problem is, but he is not the same player he was earlier this season. His confidence appears to be gone. And I wish he would STOP with the fade away shooting! You can get away with that early in the year, but when legs start getting tired towards the end of the season, you need to go up strong with your shots.

Anything less than a Sweet 16, and this season will have been a failure. Pure and simple. But I'm not holding my breath. This team CAN win some games. But the way things are going, it is 2013-14 all over again.

Playing like last night should get us past the first round. A deep run isn't in the cards for this team tho because they can't win close games.

If we defend like we do last night we aren't going to get past the first round. We lost at home with a chance of a Big 10 title on the line, I don't know how people think we played well.

If we defend like we do last night we aren't going to get past the first round. We lost at home with a chance of a Big 10 title on the line, I don't know how people think we played well.

I think there is a huge difference between playing with heart and playing hard and playing well. My opinion is they played hard and with heart at times last night. Playing well requires smart decisions, making clutch field goals (layups included), hitting needed free throws, rebounding, and playing defense.

This team plays hard, but I don't think they've been playing well and I think losing 5 of 6 illustrates that.

Latest posts