Meeting Lute's team after first win at Indiana

uihawk82

Before and when Lute was at Iowa and they played at IU they usually lost big. Of course IU had the best team in America back to back years in '74-76 and was in the final four in '73. I think it was the McDonalds in Bloomington had a deal if the hoosiers scored a 100+ points you could get a meal deal for the amount of the score. Of course it was mentioned by the media etc.

When Lute finally won his first game at IU the hawk fans were going wild. I and a couple of friends went up to the Iowa City airport to cheer them when they returned. We were drinking some during the game and were surprised to see about 200 other people show up at the airport. The radio stations may have said something about it being such a big win to go meet the team.

Well, we all waited. One of my buddies had to pee so he walked out into the darkness of the tarmac to pee and came back.

Then a plane came in for a landing and taxied up to the terminal and the crowd trotted out and was cheering them. The plane door opens and about 4 business men start to deplane with the weirdest friggin looks on their faces and the crowd let out this disappointed noise. But those travellers were heroes for a second. But then the two planes came in with the team and man I can still see the smiles on the players and coaches faces as to how great they felt getting that losing streak off their minds.

giphy.gif

Latest posts