Medical Redshirt Rules?

HawkWT

Obviously, we are too far into the season for Leshun to get a Medical RS. However, it reminds me of a question: what is the 'game-play' requirement for a player to receive a medical RS?

It is painful to see a player who could have been redshirted before the season get hurt (4 games, 14 carries)

Obviously, we are too far into the season for Leshun to get a Medical RS. However, it reminds me of a question: what is the 'game-play' requirement for a player to receive a medical RS?

It is painful to see a player who could have been redshirted before the season get hurt (4 games, 14 carries)

A redshirt is a redshirt, regardless of the reason. There is no "game-play" requirement. If you play even one play, a year of eligibility is used up. He did not redshirt as a freshman, so he can apply for a medical waiver after the season. The NCAA evaluates those case-by-case. If they grant him a waiver, that is his redshirt.

Huge mistake not redshirting him last year. Now we use up two years of eligibility of perhaps our most talented back for what... a few carries over 2 years?

Huge mistake not redshirting him last year. Now we use up two years of eligibility of perhaps our most talented back for what... a few carries over 2 years?

I disagree. It is very, very rare for an Iowa RB to remain healthy and stay at Iowa for four consecutive years. The RB position at Iowa is one where I think they should never redshirt anyone. It seems like through medical issues and transfers, the redshirts just about always take care of themselves.

Latest posts