Media picks Megan as BIG Player of the year, but

So many on this board have moped, whined, and complained about the men's shortcomings all season and simply fail to grasp the idea of being a fan of the University of Iowa regardless of the sport.

Let me kindly sum up what I have read over the course of the season regarding the men's program:
1) Lack of Defensive Intensity
2) Lack of Effort/Hustle
3) Lack of Basketball IQ
4) Lack of a Dominate Post
5) Lack of Team Communication
6) Lack of Toughness
7) Lack of Consistency

I've been following both basketball programs for several years right along with football, wrestling, gymnastics, soccer, baseball...you name it. This year's Hawkeye women's basketball squad has done everything you've been pleading for the men to do and they've done it in spades. They finished 5th in the league AFTER losing their starting PG to another knee injury and another starting guard for several games due to a broken hand. They have dominated teams they were supposed to dominate, upset higher ranked teams, they repeatedly dive after 50/50 balls, talk on defense, sprint down the court for the easy outlet layup even while up 20+ points and I guarantee you absolutely EVERYONE on this board would be talking Player of the Year if Cook or Garza were putting up the type of numbers Gustafson has achieved night in and night out.

What do you expect when you start women’s basketball threads on a men’s basketball forum, especially one where 99% of the posters don’t watch it or care about it? Are you honestly surprised? Because I find that hard to believe.

It’s cool that Iowa has a good player and all, but almost no one here pays attention to WBB. Just look at the game threads you guys have. There’s only three of you that post, wouldn’t it just be easier to group text each other?

Show me where it says "Men's Basketball" for the forum title. It says "Basketball". And please don't pretend like she didn't dominate in the Big 10; she did.

I think the Iowa women's team is better to watch than the men's right now. They are waaaay better shooters, have damn near the same speed, and win games.. Just saying.
The balls women use are smaller. Don't go comparing the mens and womans game. Just don't.

Women's balls are smaller..............WoW! That's all you've got? Lol Seems to me we have a couple of jealous posters.
Oh I can go on and on. But if you don't already know them then there's just no point. What on earth would I be jealous of exactly? The fairness of title 9 forcing mens football and basketball to support their programs? Jealousy isn't the right word for what I feel towards that either but whatever.

Women's balls are smaller..............WoW! That's all you've got? Lol Seems to me we have a couple of jealous posters.
I don’t hate WBB, I just think it’s boring as hell to watch. Your opinion may vary.

Any boys HS team at state would kill the Hawks women’s squad by 30 points. I know it’s because males are generally taller, stronger, and faster, but it doesn’t interest me at all. It’s also safe to say it doesn’t interest the vast majority of people here otherwise it’d have its own forum and actually get talked about by more than 4 people.

You can say all you want how exciting it is and if I had a daughter playing maybe it would be. But it’s a fact that the women’s game is nowhere near as athletic as the men’s game, not even in the same zip code. It’s like watching a town rec pickup game, I’m sorry.

Pat Summit used to have her players (which won a ton of championships btw) scrimmage against men’s intramural teams so that they’d learn to play above the level of their competition; they got destroyed and she knew they would. So you can call it interesting if you want, I just don’t find it to be.

Last edited:
I don’t hate WBB, I just think it’s boring as hell to watch. Your opinion may vary.

Any boys HS team at state would kill the Hawks women’s squad by 30 points. I know it’s because males are generally taller, stronger, and faster, but it doesn’t interest me at all. It’s also safe to say it doesn’t interest the vast majority of people here otherwise it’d have its own forum and actually get talked about by more than 4 people.

You can say all you want how exciting it is and if I had a daughter playing maybe it would be. But it’s a fact that the women’s game is nowhere near as athletic as the men’s game, not even in the same zip code. It’s like watching a town rec pickup game, I’m sorry.

Pat Summit used to have her players (which won a ton of championships btw) scrimmage against men’s intramural teams so that they’d learn to play above the level of their competition; they got destroyed and she knew they would. So you can call it interesting if you want, I just don’t find it to be.

They average almost 7000 per game. A lot of people apparently find it interesting.

Frankly, the Iowa men's team has looked like the rec pickup game this year.

They average almost 7000 per game. A lot of people apparently find it interesting.

Frankly, the Iowa men's team has looked like the rec pickup game this year.
If it were interesting and there was demand for it it would be on tv and not played in high school gyms. It’s cool if you like it, knock yourself out. But when an above average high school boys team would go deep in and probably win the women’s NCAA tournament that’s not interesting basketball to me.

Last edited: