Media picks Iowa to finish 5th in Big10

NorthKCHawk

he 2024 season represents the first without divisions for the Big Ten in the College Football Playoff era. The move happens right as the league moves to 18 teams, creating the biggest power league in history. The conference now spans from Los Angeles to New Jersey. With the scheduling issues, the league moves to a "Flex Protect XVIII" model to try and minimize travel and maximize historic matchups.

RANKTEAMPOINTS
1Ohio State (21)480
2Oregon (6)448
3Penn State418
4Michigan411
5Iowa363
6USC346
7Wisconsin313
8Nebraska293
9Rutgers249
10Washington236
11Maryland185
12Minnesota183
13Illinois145
14Northwestern138
15UCLA124
16Michigan State119
17Indiana76
18Purdue65

I'd like to see an iowa team play more of the good teams and beat or show up credible. I'm weary of the easy schedules and inflated W/L records. I want to see competent offense and winning against ranked opponents.

[takes last draw off cigarette butt, throws it down and smashes it with foot]

I hope it’s right but feels a bit aggressive. D will tough but we gotta hold the ball on offense better this year so they don’t get gassed late in games

Right...Top 20 is a long way from Top 12.
I don't know that "long way" is how I would put it. I guess I would say that anyone in the preseason Top 25 is certainly a candidate to have things break their way and get into the playoffs. When it was only 4 teams a school like Iowa had to go undefeated. Now, there is margin of error. Iowa will only be a clear dog in the OSU game. If the stars line up and that is the only loss, Iowa is clearly in. Could Iowa gather a second loss and still sneak into the Top 12? Unlikely, but possible.

This is truly a whole new college football for Iowa. No West. Larger Conference. Greatly expanded playoffs. Time for a special season, KF!

One thing for sure: with so many returning starters and a manageable schedule, this is the year to make it happen.

One thing for sure: with so many returning starters and a manageable schedule, this is the year to make it happen.

With heavy losses on defense after this season it may be NOW or never. Schedule is in our favor and some of those teams above us have tough schedules.

With heavy losses on defense after this season it may be NOW or never. Schedule is in our favor and some of those teams above us have tough schedules.
True true. The stars are aligned in the sense that we have a manageable schedule, a lot of returning starters, and about as much NFL talent on an Iowa roster in the last decade. The only red flag is that we are installing a new offensive system, which for Iowa, is actually a green flag.

That said, it always seems like when the stars align for a KF team preseason he cooks up an average burger season......

True true. The stars are aligned in the sense that we have a manageable schedule, a lot of returning starters, and about as much NFL talent on an Iowa roster in the last decade. The only red flag is that we are installing a new offensive system, which for Iowa, is actually a green flag.

That said, it always seems like when the stars align for a KF team preseason he cooks up an average burger season......

I was just going to point out this very thing I call it the “Piss down your leg in a Hawkeye Gold color.”

There have been a few season going into the fall where the talking heads of college football and the Iowa fan base had high hopes and what happens???? The very thing you have pointed out. So yes I am a little nervous about this season. It’s time to break through the ice and for Iowa to explode (not implode) onto the seen.

I hate to say it, because I don't necessarily think this way, but I think it's going to be a matter of not "if" we win, but "how" we win. It is a weaker schedule and that's going to be held against us all season. That said you can only play the games on the schedule, and with a new OC I think if we can look efficient offensively and put some points on the board I think we can return to the program we once were where we get the benefit of the doubt and some recognition along the way. Ugly wins are not going to be perceived well at the national level or anywhere outside of Iowa City. With BF gone, KF is by far the one under the microscope more so now then ever and if the offense continues to sputter they'll be calling for a change more then they have in the past.

I hate to say it, because I don't necessarily think this way, but I think it's going to be a matter of not "if" we win, but "how" we win. It is a weaker schedule and that's going to be held against us all season. That said you can only play the games on the schedule, and with a new OC I think if we can look efficient offensively and put some points on the board I think we can return to the program we once were where we get the benefit of the doubt and some recognition along the way. Ugly wins are not going to be perceived well at the national level or anywhere outside of Iowa City. With BF gone, KF is by far the one under the microscope more so now then ever and if the offense continues to sputter they'll be calling for a change more then they have in the past.
Unless something unusual happens with our opponents (like we beat ISU and then ISU wins out), then I suspect this will be pretty easy as far as the playoffs are concerned. We can lose to OSU, but probably cannot afford a second loss unless its in the conference championship game. 2 regular season losses with the schedule we have likely lands us outside the Top 12. I don't see style points playing a huge role.

Unless something unusual happens with our opponents (like we beat ISU and then ISU wins out), then I suspect this will be pretty easy as far as the playoffs are concerned. We can lose to OSU, but probably cannot afford a second loss unless its in the conference championship game. 2 regular season losses with the schedule we have likely lands us outside the Top 12. I don't see style points playing a huge role.
Until I see signs of life under Lester and the offense (which I'm hoping to) I go into every game with the mentality that it's a coin toss, we very easily could win or we could just as easily piss it away and waste a decent showing from the defense. Once we know the offense has made strides I'll be more optimistic.

As soft as the schedule is, I think there's a chance, but until the offense shows it's no longer in a coma (or life support for that matter) I don't think we get the benefit of the doubt. I think if we get beat badly and the offense doesn't show our chances are slim at best. Just because there's more at large spots now there's still the same amount of teams battling for them and I'm willing to bet if the offense struggles there'll be 12 teams out there with a better resume and more deserving then us and it'll be those programs that get picked.

Latest posts