Meanwhile Lisa Bluder...

Good deal. Bluder is another one that keeps her program competitive and above water. Last year's season I'm sure helps with this pick-up.

The IA women's hoopsters won the BIG tourney last March, the men's track team won the outdoor BIG this past spring and the field hockey squad just won a conference title. Suddenly, the UofI is winning conference titles.

Yeah, but apparently you missed the reference and relevance to the men's program. No mistake...this is a direct shot across Fran's bow.
Last year we had two Bettendorf and two Wahlert kids on our roster . Mind you they were white. There are division 2 teams that would have passed on that. Is Fran a lazy recruiter ? Or just bad? Is he going all over the country? 95 percent of our roster would have came here anyway even under Lick

Yeah, but apparently you missed the reference and relevance to the men's program. No mistake...this is a direct shot across Fran's bow.

Right....we sure needed another one of these types of threads. Even though damn near every thread being posted has Fran being slammed left and right.

Bluder has the womens program in a good place right now. They are at a level the men used to be back when Tom Davis was our coach.

Right....we sure needed another one of these types of threads. Even though damn near every thread being posted has Fran being slammed left and right.

Bluder has the womens program in a good place right now. They are at a level the men used to be back when Tom Davis was our coach.

Then don't read it.

In case you missed it (which apparently you did) this is about a specific and very recent pair of events which provide a unique and clear example. Not just another rehash of old stuff.

So I've been hearing that we can't get top recruits at Iowa? I'm confused now! (note obvious sarcasm)

Good job coach Bluder!

Then don't read it.

In case you missed it (which apparently you did) this is about a specific and very recent pair of events which provide a unique and clear example. Not just another rehash of old stuff.

One has nothing to do with the other.

One has nothing to do with the other.

I understand your view, but I'd suggest there's some connection. CHA is often criticized as a reason for the men's program struggles, as is our location. The programs have that in common. Having a good men's program doesn't assure a good women's or vice versa...that's true. They're separate entities, but they do function within the same general environment...and we're not talking wrestling vs soccer...both are basketball programs. The roster size, season, type of athletes are similar.

What's undeniably true, is that the platform a coach has built gets them good recruits. Bluder's program is good enough to land a top National in-state recruit. Fran's was not...even though Foster said he grew up an IOWA fan.

I understand your view, but I'd suggest there's some connection. CHA is often criticized as a reason for the men's program struggles, as is our location. The programs have that in common. Having a good men's program doesn't assure a good women's or vice versa...that's true. They're separate entities, but they do function within the same general environment...and we're not talking wrestling vs soccer...both are basketball programs. The roster size, season, type of athletes are similar.

What's undeniably true, is that the platform a coach has built gets them good recruits. Bluder's program is good enough to land a top National in-state recruit. Fran's was not...even though Foster said he grew up an IOWA fan.

Recruiting womens basketball is way different than mens basketball. Most women don't go to college to play basketball with the hopes of playing professionally. The lack of success Iowa has had sending players to the NBA had an impact on Fosters decision, I'm sure that didn't even cross Caitlin's mind when she committed to Iowa. While I'm sure Caitlin wants to win I'm sure there are other reasons why she wanted to attend Iowa that are outside the basketball arena.

Yes Bluder has the womens basketball program in a much better spot than Fran does the mens program. Fran got handed the keys to a dump and while it's back to a decent level of success they still have not seriously competed for the Big Ten Championship or have been making the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis. Bluder is basically doing what Tom Davis did back in the day.

Recruiting womens basketball is way different than mens basketball. Most women don't go to college to play basketball with the hopes of playing professionally. The lack of success Iowa has had sending players to the NBA had an impact on Fosters decision, I'm sure that didn't even cross Caitlin's mind when she committed to Iowa. While I'm sure Caitlin wants to win I'm sure there are other reasons why she wanted to attend Iowa that are outside the basketball arena.

Yes Bluder has the womens basketball program in a much better spot than Fran does the mens program. Fran got handed the keys to a dump and while it's back to a decent level of success they still have not seriously competed for the Big Ten Championship or have been making the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis. Bluder is basically doing what Tom Davis did back in the day.

I would argue that IOWA is not the reason they haven't put many players in the NBA. It's that we haven't recruited NBA-level talent.

If you are good enough, the NBA will find you.

I also think it's high time we stop blaming Lick for Fran's inability to recruit. It's been his program for a decade now, for crying out loud. If the program isn't in a good spot, Fran is the one to blame. No one is going to convince me otherwise on this.

Last edited: