McNutt vs. Cooper Eagles OTA update

Hawkeye27

While no new news has surfaced on McNutt's performance since my last OTA update of McNutt, there has been some information about Cooper, the other receiver most say is fighting with McNutt for playing time, and perhaps his job. They are both big bodied receivers. Today on inside the eagles, it was reported Riley Cooper dropped "Some catchable balls." Perhaps it is the pressure of McNutt breathing down his back. I have not seen any negative comments on McNutt, the only thing I found on Marvin was him catching everything in rookie mini-camp. I know Marvin will keep fighting, its the hawkeye way, and I would not be surprised to see him surpass Cooper.

What We Learned At Monday OTAs - Inside the Iggles

While no new news has surfaced on McNutt's performance since my last OTA update of McNutt, there has been some information about Cooper, the other receiver most say is fighting with McNutt for playing time, and perhaps his job. They are both big bodied receivers. Today on inside the eagles, it was reported Riley Cooper dropped "Some catchable balls." Perhaps it is the pressure of McNutt breathing down his back. I have not seen any negative comments on McNutt, the only thing I found on Marvin was him catching everything in rookie mini-camp. I know Marvin will keep fighting, its the hawkeye way, and I would not be surprised to see him surpass Cooper.

What We Learned At Monday OTAs - Inside the Iggles

I hate Riley Cooper. Go McNutt, in this situation!

It's because he's the 6th passing option in the offense. And if McNutt beats him out, he'll be the 6th option, and probably won't do jack for a few years.

My goodness your adamant on this, no flexibility whatsoever, it reminds me a lot of your stance on Stanzi being drafted. I realize you have posted the numbers on who caught what last year in another thread, but to think that Mcnutt can't work his way into some 4 or 5 wr sets,some red zone situations is silly.

Granted you will not get Vick mixed up with Brady when it comes to reading defenses and going through your progressions, but he has improved a lot with this if Mcnutt gets on the field he will be targeted on occasion.

You are making it seem like Kaftka and Young are going to be the QB(s).

Based on the track records of Djack and Maclin its not out of the imagination to suggest one or both will be injured this year. This opens the door and allows the back up WRs to become number one and two options. When MM makes the team don't be surprised when he exceeds expectations.

Marques Colston 7th round pick ring a bell??

My goodness your adamant on this, no flexibility whatsoever, it reminds me a lot of your stance on Stanzi being drafted. I realize you have posted the numbers on who caught what last year in another thread, but to think that Mcnutt can't work his way into some 4 or 5 wr sets,some red zone situations is silly.

Granted you will not get Vick mixed up with Brady when it comes to reading defenses and going through your progressions, but he has improved a lot with this if Mcnutt gets on the field he will be targeted on occasion.

You are making it seem like Kaftka and Young are going to be the QB(s).

I don't know what you think my stance is. I never said McNutt wasn't going to make the team or see the field, but rather he won't get much attention. I predicted 15 or fewer catches. I stand by that.

The Eagles didn't draft him for this year, they drafted him to replace Avant in the future.

It's because he's the 6th passing option in the offense. And if McNutt beats him out, he'll be the 6th option, and probably won't do jack for a few years.

He's the 6th option because he's the 6th best receiver. Reid would like nothing more than to have a large bodied receiver step up and take over Avant's place as the #3 WR so they don't just have a bunch of speedy, brittle midgets running routes all day long. Cooper isn't that receiver, at least he hasn't shown he is yet.

Iggles writer Bryn Swartz thinks MM will make the cut.

Previewing the 2012 Philadelphia Eagles: Backup Wide Receivers : Philadelphia Eagles

Marvin McNutt, the team’s sixth round draft pick this past season, is a big, physical wide receiver who might be the missing link in the red zone that the Eagles have desperately needed for the past few seasons. He wasn’t drafted high enough that he will automatically make the roster, but he will be given every opportunity to make the 53-man roster...

The Eagles will keep either five or six wide receivers on their roster for the 2012 season. They did keep seven at the start of the 2009 season but that didn’t last, so I will predict that they keep six. As stated earlier, Jackson, Maclin, and Avant are guarantees to make the team. I think Cooper will make it again. I think McNutt will make it. And I’m going to go with Johnson edging out Chad Hall for the final spot at wide receiver.

Iggles writer Bryn Swartz thinks MM will make the cut.

Previewing the 2012 Philadelphia Eagles: Backup Wide Receivers : Philadelphia Eagles

Marvin McNutt, the team’s sixth round draft pick this past season, is a big, physical wide receiver who might be the missing link in the red zone that the Eagles have desperately needed for the past few seasons. He wasn’t drafted high enough that he will automatically make the roster, but he will be given every opportunity to make the 53-man roster...

The Eagles will keep either five or six wide receivers on their roster for the 2012 season. They did keep seven at the start of the 2009 season but that didn’t last, so I will predict that they keep six. As stated earlier, Jackson, Maclin, and Avant are guarantees to make the team. I think Cooper will make it again. I think McNutt will make it. And I’m going to go with Johnson edging out Chad Hall for the final spot at wide receiver.

Good stuff, Just gotta hope that he keeps up the good work once the pads get put on.

Latest posts