McNutt early in games

PimScutney

Anyone notice that the first pass or two to McNutt, especially the quick screens across the middle, in any game tend to get popped up in the air or just be drops. I wonder if he gets too amped up for games. Once he gets that out of his system, though, he's got the best hands on the team. It could be Stanzi putting too much juice on it early in the game, too.

Seems like its happened that way with Penn State, Arizona and Michigan this year that I remember off the top of my head.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Thank god his drop yesterday wasn't picked, it easily could have been. I'm sure it was a combination of being too amped and Costanzi putting a little too much mustard on the rock. He'll be fine.

I don't remember it perfectly and haven't watched the game a second time, but I thought that the first throw to him yesterday was slightly behind him and something that he should have batted to the ground instead of trying to make a play on it and putting it up into the air. I could be wrong, but if my memory serves me correctly alot of the problem is that when he gets a hand on an uncatchable ball they generally get batted into the air assisting the defender trying to make a play.

I don't remember it perfectly and haven't watched the game a second time, but I thought that the first throw to him yesterday was slightly behind him and something that he should have batted to the ground instead of trying to make a play on it and putting it up into the air. I could be wrong, but if my memory serves me correctly alot of the problem is that when he gets a hand on an uncatchable ball they generally get batted into the air assisting the defender trying to make a play.

1. When you can get both hands on the ball, you should catch it, and 2. The ball yesterday was only slightly behind him (meaning over his back shoulder slightly). The catch DJK made on his first TD catch was just as tough or tougher to make.

I'm not making any kind of indictment on McNutt. But it was a catchable ball. And like the OP said, after that first pass or two, he's money. So I don't know what it is about that first pass.