McCaffrey - Two Recruits Likely but Not Three

I think Hubbard will be better to back up Cartwright than marble. That's of course assuming he is on board with Iowa on Saturday.

That tells me...

Hubbard (who will start at the 3 spot and back up Cartwright)

A big, not necessarily Olaseni.

Fran feels good about Gessell at PG and other 2012 recruits and wants the extra ride.

I think Hubbard will be better to back up Cartwright than marble. That's of course assuming he is on board with Iowa on Saturday.

Maybe, but I think Marble has an advantage with a year under his belt in Fran's system.

Just curious why you think its those two players based on that article? I understand the 'Maybe not a point guard", but I saw no indication who the players were. This not a rip, just curious.

It was probably this line...

"McCaffery added that it was a possibility that Iowa might not add a point guard in this class"

Fran has probably had a discussion with Bryce.... "Young man, you are going to have to be in the BEST shape of your life."

Just curious why you think its those two players based on that article? I understand the 'Maybe not a point guard", but I saw no indication who the players were. This not a rip, just curious.

Sorry, not based on the article other than "maybe not a point guard" and most likely only getting 2 more commits. I think it makes sense that Hubbard gave Fran a verbal but wants to wait until Saturday in honor of his brother's death leading Fran to pull the offer from Glover.

I just don't think Olesani will get an offer from Oklahoma or Texas.

Who knows, I could certainly be wrong and have no inside information but this seems the most likely scenario based on what I have read. You never know though, maybe we will get one of the decommits.

Lol, yah can you give me forty minutes a games?

Marble's ideal position obviously isn't PG and I only follow recruting on what others say on this board and some think that Hubbard would be able to play the point better than Marble.

Either way... I'm not expecting Cartwright to play 40 minutes but I could see him logging 35 minutes. Last year he averaged 31.1 minutes. So even if he only increases a couple minutes a game we won't be asking for much more.

I know this doesn't account for an injury to Bryce, but if we aren't going to sign a PG Fran must have enough faith in either Marble or Hubbard to get the job done as a backup plan.

Wow, it's pretty hard to believe he won't add a PG. I have to say that is a head scratcher given our lack of depth at that spot, inability to defend opposing guards, Cartwright's propensity for cramping and our dire need to get more penetration to free up a roster of set shooters.

I guess 2011 is going to hinge on retruning players making huge strides and newcomers contributing. One rolled Cartwright ankle away from not having a PG again? Hard to fathom given the emphasis McCaffrey places on guard play and the fact that I think 99% of Iowa hoops fans think we need a PG in this recruiting class. I guess this is why McCaffrey is the coach and I am a poster on message boards.

This makes NO sense. None. If he turns down a visit for Glover and doesn't get a PG, I am really going to have a hard time seeing what he is doing. We aren't going to be good next year anyways but if Bryce is in foul trouble or hurt we will be awful

"McCaffery added that it was a possibility that Iowa might not add a point guard in this class"
Yeah, thats what I thought, but there are a few players on the radar that we haven't even heard of yet. That was my only reason for asking. I think Hubbard is a lock, Olesani is a maybe and I wouldn't be upset if its someone else. Love his ht. but he is a project.

IMO, this is all about dropping Glover and getting a commit from a 2012 pg....Gessell!

For 2011, Hubbard and Marble will likely back-up Cartright, at the point, which is an acceptable situation. From what I have read, Hubbard is capable of playing at least 3 positions 2 of which are the guard positions.

Wow, it's pretty hard to believe he won't add a PG. I have to say that is a head scratcher given our lack of depth at that spot, inability to defend opposing guards, Cartwright's propensity for cramping and our dire need to get more penetration to free up a roster of set shooters.

I guess 2011 is going to hinge on retruning players making huge strides and newcomers contributing. One rolled Cartwright ankle away from not having a PG again? Hard to fathom given the emphasis McCaffrey places on guard play and the fact that I think 99% of Iowa hoops fans think we need a PG in this recruiting class. I guess this is why McCaffrey is the coach and I am a poster on message boards.
Well, I think coach must have agreed with you about a point guard because he has tried like heck to get one and hasn't been able to procure a committment. I don't think this is because he doesn't see the need I think its because he can't get the one he wants.

Perhaps I'm reading into things but "this class" could mean nothing for 2011 but 2012 could have one. Thinking Gessell with the dropping of a JUCO PG with 3 years left.

Of course I am speculating........but aren't we all.

I understand that many believe PG is a must, but the only thing M3ble struggled with playing the point was his overall strength. Physical play limited him when he had to play in stretches, but didn't BC have cramping issues against Purdue and Marble logged a lot of minutes at PG, didn't turn out too bad.
If Iowa doesn't get a PG this class then Fran must feel pretty good about a younger kid. Gessell is a combo guard and not true PG, unless I am mistaken.
When it comes down to it, just trust what Fran is doing, the long term success of the program is the big picture. Fran has proven in a short time that he has a plan and can coach. In the end, baby steps are realistic in our situation.
this isn't saying much, but this was Iowa's best team in a while, not just record, but togetherness, that will also pay off.

I'd rather bank it if we can't get a quality player. How many schollies does this give us for next year?

Latest posts