McCaffery's Deal....

From article:

When I came here, my goal was to finish my career here,â€￾ he said. “I wouldn’t want to finish it at the expiration of this contract by any means. This is not a stepping stone situation. It was never viewed that way; it shouldn’t be viewed that way. There’s no place higher than the Big Ten, unless you have somebody who always aspired to coach in the NBA which I don’t. I want to coach in college. My family is very happy in Iowa City. I really enjoy the people that I work with.â€￾
fell_in_love.gif

99% season ticket renewal. The primary voice of the fan. Big $$$ donors a LOOOOOOOOOONG way away from going sour on Ferentz. The primary voice of the Athletic Department.

People are getting very defensive of KF and his program. This should make everyone worried. People get defensive when they think it is going to get worse in the future and they know they will have to think of new stats to defend a certain point of view.

I'm starting to think this team might only win 5 games.:eek:

People are getting very defensive of KF and his program. This should make everyone worried. People get defensive when they think it is going to get worse in the future and they know they will have to think of new stats to defend a certain point of view.

Welcome to the last 6 years.

Happy to have him. When I think of this contract and the Hawkeye program one word always comes to mind: energy. Fran coaches with a lot of energy, his team plays with a lot of energy, the fans at Carver feed off the players and cheer with a lot of energy, and the program gains momentum because of the energy it has created.

Maybe I'm just incredibly biased, well let's be honest I am incredibly biased, but I feel like the other coaches in the Big Ten are looking over their shoulder at Fran and the Hawks and they know that they are coming. It's just a matter of time. Once he gets the pieces to fit his system I think it could be a lot of fun. I don't think that time is very far off.

I am the absolute, Iowa homer of all time... and yet... I do step back and reflect at times.

May this be just the perfect fit, the perfect hire for Iowa BB in the past 40 years?

Given Coach Frans background, experience, ability and timing.. why not?

Along with that Iowa is now (REALLY) producing some good D 1 BB players and given Fran's Eastern roots... cannot Iowa again have 1 or 2 or 3 NBA players on the roster?

Why not a Big Ten Championship... (or 2) why not a couple of Sweet 16's and a run at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?

I am the absolute, Iowa homer of all time... and yet... I do step back and reflect at times.

May this be just the perfect fit, the perfect hire for Iowa BB in the past 40 years?

Given Coach Frans background, experience, ability and timing.. why not?

Along with that Iowa is now (REALLY) producing some good D 1 BB players and given Fran's Eastern roots... cannot Iowa again have 1 or 2 or 3 NBA players on the roster?

Why not a Big Ten Championship... (or 2) why not a couple of Sweet 16's and a run at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?

oh boy....here we go....

We have a very good chance of winning our first five games.....

VERY GOOD.....

Northern Illinois
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Central Michigan
Minnesota

Northern Illinois in Chicago and the rest at Kinnick. I like our chances.....

Two Northerns, one Central, the Clones and Minnesota whom we owe drastically. It will be no problem getting up for Iowa State and Minnesota at Kinnick.....

:)

This tells me two things:

1) There is external interest in McCaffery.

2) We should expect to make the NCAA tourney this season.

There was a point in Ferentz' career when going to the Alamo Bowl was an amazing achievement that electrified the fans and signaled Iowa was back. Then there was a time when going to the Alamo Bowl was a horrendous disappointment and the lousy coach didn't earn his ridiculous contract.

Now is a time when winning a game in the NIT is an amazing achievement...

There was a point in Ferentz' career when going to the Alamo Bowl was an amazing achievement that electrified the fans and signaled Iowa was back. Then there was a time when going to the Alamo Bowl was a horrendous disappointment and the lousy coach didn't earn his ridiculous contract.

Now is a time when winning a game in the NIT is an amazing achievement...[/QUOTE

Yep. You hit the nail on the head albeit you did it in a snarky fashion. Going from John Lickliter to winning the NIT is amazing. Sometimes low expectations equal great thrills. Beating Dayton was a really, really fun game to watch as a Hawkeye fan, but that probably will not be the case in a couple of years.

I'm hoping the football team as a year where people really enjoy precisely because they don't have huge expectations. In my experience our best, most memorable years are those where we snuck up on people and surprised them.

I think Fran will turn out to be an amazing coach, but the real success in football was when Norm Parker was healthy. It remains to be seen, but I think Iowa basketball will continue to rise, but the football team has seen its glory days.