McCaffery Talks Hubbard, Recruiting the Rest of the Way

McCaffrey has a unique blend of Midwest common sense mixed with east coast bravado. He embraces the spotlight vs. Liclikter never being comfortable in it. For all the hype around Iowa hoops, it's hard to believe we won 11 games last season. Confidence + competence = results.

I also like that term athletic arrogance. I would think that when he was 16-24 years old, he was just a cocky SOB, and you are young, and think the world is yours for the taking. Yet when you grow older, that cockiness become a visible confidence in yourself and your abilities. It is something that is present in winners as they are used to getting the job done, believe in themselves and their visions, and usually make it happen. It is exactly what a coach should have, IMO.

I also like that term athletic arrogance. I would think that when he was 16-24 years old, he was just a cocky SOB, and you are young, and think the world is yours for the taking. Yet when you grow older, that cockiness become a visible confidence in yourself and your abilities. It is something that is present in winners as they are used to getting the job done, believe in themselves and their visions, and usually make it happen. It is exactly what a coach should have, IMO.

Wait a minute. I thought we said these same things about Alford and hated him for it?

Wait a minute. I thought we said these same things about Alford and hated him for it?

Alford didn't just have "athletic arrogance". He was just arrogant in general. I've got a source that assures me that Alford is every bit the arrogant ***** that we all thought he was (I won't name him because I don't want to cause him any more trouble. He got burned when I specified one other time.).

Fran isn't like that, or at least he certainly doesn't appear to be.

I think we all knew going into it that Alford was arrogant. I don't know why anybody should have been surprised when he maintained it.

Where did I mention Alford, or talk about Alford? I specifically talked about confidence. You do understand confidence and arrogance are two different words with two different definitions don't you? People hated Alford's arrogance...get the difference?

Wow, some people just can't let the past go......Lets talk about the Hawks an the future, not the past and 5 years ago.

It is a fine line,between the SA arrogance,which seemingly was prevalent off the court and out of bb discussions as well as in his area of expertise,and Fran,who seems very likeable and personable away from the court and away from discussions on his team and his confidence in his own coaching abilities.

I think people in highly scrutinized positions like Fran have to be able to ''perform'' somewhat when on stage,then need to be regular guys off the stage. Tough to find the right balance but I have to think that Margaret helps keep him grounded,as she has been a star in her own right and he respects her opinion so highly. And of course,being a dad is very humbling in itself,as we all know.

Fran obviously understands the scrutiny, passion and fish bowl existence that comes with being the head basketball coach at Iowa...I'm not sure Alford ever did. I was merely having a little fun with the post outlining Fran's characteristics that make him a great coach. I recall reading extremely similar posts regarding Alford's characteristics and background and why that would prevent him from becoming a great coach.

I love Fran. He's a great fit.

The difference between arrogance and confidence is winning. If Fran ends up turning the Iowa program around, fans will talk about how much they love his confidence. If they don't, after a while people will start to complain about his arrogance.

If Alford had regularly taken Iowa to the Sweet 16 no one would complain about his arrogance.

Fran's 'Athletic Arrogance' is that he feels confident that he can do the job. Alford's arrogance was and apparently is that he feels he is better than the job and people he is working for.

I think even if Fran fails to get Iowa back to bb success,the perceptions of him will be shaped more by how he treats people off the court than any pronouncements about his confidence in himself or his team. Those might ring hollow after awhile if they continue to lose,but probably will not be resented as arrogant behavior,unless he starts snubbing fans off the court.

Lets hope we never find out.
He and Margaret are very likeable folks who are already getting involved in the community as co-chairs of that big charity event this spring...that goes a long way in Iowa City, I would imagine.

I heard an interview this morning with Robert Smith,head bb coach at Simeon HS,Chicago,where he has led Simeon to back to back state titles and 4 titles overall...and he was talking about Derrick Rose back in high school. Simeon had a policy to not play frosh on varsity when Rose came to school. So, his frosh year,he played on the sophmore team,leading them to a city title. The varsity made the state tourny,and Smith broke precedence by inviting Rose to play varsity at state. He wanted to win that bad. DRose respectfully declined. His response to Smith:

'' I am going to play professional basketball someday and will get a lot of attention. Bryan Notree and Calvins Brock(Suntimes POY) have earned the right to get the spotlight on them down at state.''

Then 3 years later when Smith was walking to the arena for the state title game with DRose, Rose commented that he was going to show that he should be rated the #1 pg in the country that day. Smith thought he would lite it up for 40 pts...but Rose only scored 2 points in a rout,but had a ton of assists and steals. Rose was so supremely confident in his own abilities that he knew he could dominate the game without scoring,and let his teammates get the attention.

DRose is the most humble NBA superstar I have have seen,but he has athletic arrogance.

I don't see a hint of arrogance, but love the Athletic Arrogance tag, to me Fran is very confident, knows exactly what he is doing, and has the proven ability to turn things around, There hasn't been this much buzz about the Hawkeye basketball program in quite a while.

IowaMike just might prove himself to be crazy, crazy like a fox.....

I have no problem with any type of arrogance with a coach as long as it is backed up. Being arrogant and then bragging about winning seasons(that don't include NCAA tourneys) was just ridiculous.

I heard an interview this morning with Robert Smith,head bb coach at Simeon HS,Chicago,where he has led Simeon to back to back state titles and 4 titles overall...and he was talking about Derrick Rose back in high school. Simeon had a policy to not play frosh on varsity when Rose came to school. So, his frosh year,he played on the sophmore team,leading them to a city title. The varsity made the state tourny,and Smith broke precedence by inviting Rose to play varsity at state. He wanted to win that bad. DRose respectfully declined. His response to Smith:

'' I am going to play professional basketball someday and will get a lot of attention. Bryan Notree and Calvins Brock(Suntimes POY) have earned the right to get the spotlight on them down at state.''

Then 3 years later when Smith was walking to the arena for the state title game with DRose, Rose commented that he was going to show that he should be rated the #1 pg in the country that day. Smith thought he would lite it up for 40 pts...but Rose only scored 2 points in a rout,but had a ton of assists and steals. Rose was so supremely confident in his own abilities that he knew he could dominate the game without scoring,and let his teammates get the attention.

DRose is the most humble NBA superstar I have have seen,but he has athletic arrogance.

Exactly. I wish more players in the NBA were like Rose, but that's off topic. All I know is, I'm really glad that Fran is our head coach right now.

Latest posts