McCafferey says non-conference schedule to improve next year

That's good to hear, I'd love to see Iowa in the position to compete with the elites of basketball. Mizzou, KU, AZ, UCLA, love to see some big East teams in there as well.

I really hope we are in a non-conference tourney next year. Some tournaments are already set for 2012. Iowa won't be in Maui, the Pardise Jam, Battle 4 Atlantis, Old Spice Classic, or the Diamond Head Classic.

It would be nice to ramp up the non conference slat a tad but they need to be able to beat the Campbells before taking on other major conferences.

Speaking of playing in tournaments, whatever happened to the Hawkeye Classic?

I think the limits on tournaments that teams can play in was the major reason it was scuttled. Lack of sponsorship may have had something to do with it too.

It would be nice to ramp up the non conference slat a tad but they need to be able to beat the Campbells before taking on other major conferences.

They got rid of it when Dolph had to start tossing out lines like "The Hawks haven't won this tournament since..." and "Welcome to the consolation game of the Hawkeye Classic!"...

I really hope we are in a non-conference tourney next year. Some tournaments are already set for 2012. Iowa won't be in Maui, the Pardise Jam, Battle 4 Atlantis, Old Spice Classic, or the Diamond Head Classic.

We are in the Cancun tourny next november.

new orleans?

Cancun, not Cajun. Cancun is on the Yucatan Peninsula.

I think we're going to be good enough next year to handle a tougher OOC slate, and I'm all for it. It would be nice to be dying to go to an OOC game outside of ISU/UNI every year.

I think once Amana stopped it's main sponsorship it went downhill from there. Plus attendance was getting bad, I remember going in the late 80's and early 90's and spending the weekend in Iowa City and Carver was packed for both games.

I hope Fran goes slow on the schedule. Next year, keep it modest,so we can make a run to the NCAA's. The following year, beef it up.

I think the limits on tournaments that teams can play in was the major reason it was scuttled. Lack of sponsorship may have had something to do with it too.

This. I am pretty sure you can only play in one non conference tournament a season. Not sure what the old rules were, but you have seen an end to all of these small tournaments all over the country.

Am I the only who thinks we don't need a tougher schedule yet? I am skeptical we finish this season over .500. Let's accomplish that, then worry about bolstering our SOS.

Am I the only who thinks we don't need a tougher schedule yet? I am skeptical we finish this season over .500. Let's accomplish that, then worry about bolstering our SOS.
We need a tougher schedule. Even if we beat Cambell and Clemson, our Rpi would still be over 100

Very true, but I'd still rather see some more other power conference teams on our schedule. I'm not talking Kansas, UCLA, Florida, etc. but maybe teams like Tennessee, Oregon, etc. At least until we become a legit NCAA Team again and can start thinking about taking on more teams near the top of those conferences.

Seeing a schedule full of teams like Chicago St., Brown and Central Arkansas makes for a pretty dull non-conference.

I don't think Fran should go nuts with scheduling yet.. I'm just thinking it would be nice to see a couple more games against lower to mid-tier Pac 10, SEC, etc. type teams.

Getting hammered night-in and night-out won't do anything to help the program, so don't want to see UK, UNC, etc. on our schedule yet.