maybe he aint as bad as yall think....

franstheman

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUkn3FNWz0&feature=related]YouTube - Wes Washpun monster dunk[/ame]

Thats about the only thing he can do. That monster dunk scores the same amount of points as a guy with more basketball skill just laying it in

Thats about the only thing he can do. That monster dunk scores the same amount of points as a guy with more basketball skill just laying it in

yeah they give the same ammount of points but a dunk like that gives more energy. I'm not saying sign a guy just cause he can do that, but it does get people out of there seat seeing a monster dunk like that while a lay-up usually just gets golf claps.

An unskilled athletic kid with academic issues.

He can play D and he can jump. If he wants to walk on, fantastic.

We have 3 Iowa kids on the team currently with another on the way. I think it is safe to say we need to get out of state to find some kids with higher ceilings. No doubt an impressive dunk, but outside of Iowa high school basketball, dunks like that occur frequently in high school games. I suggest watching one of the high school games on ESPN to see what some of the national talent can do. Enough of the addiction with in state kids....we have enough already and quite honestly most belong in the Valley or lower tier conferences.

He truly isn't "bad." I had a chance to play against him and he is very quick and athletic, no doubt. He just needs more work on his shot and scoring abilities. Plays tough defense too. I think hes more of a "fall-back" guy or walk-on. IMO I hope he walks on or goes the JUCO route to get some development before Fran dishes out the scholly to him. I would love to see him at Iowa, but right now he needs more work on the court and in the classroom.

He truly isn't "bad." I had a chance to play against him and he is very quick and athletic, no doubt. He just needs more work on his shot and scoring abilities. Plays tough defense too. I think hes more of a "fall-back" guy or walk-on. IMO I hope he walks on or goes the JUCO route to get some development before Fran dishes out the scholly to him. I would love to see him at Iowa, but right now he needs more work on the court and in the classroom.
Correct. What Iowa needs more than anything right now is 1 or mupltiple knockdown shooters.

I saw Cougs throw down some pretty nice dunks last night. One of which was a lob I threw to him off the glass. He also shot lights out from 3 with a guy draped all over him.

There are hundreds, probably even thousands of kids who can dunk who I don't want stepping foot on the court for Iowa.

It's great that he can dunk. I'd be more concerned with what he's going to do when he has to shoot.

Correct. What Iowa needs more than anything right now is 1 or mupltiple knockdown shooters.

No, what Iowa needs more than anything is a quality big who is a threat to score. That makes the defense collapse and gives our current shooters more time to shoot. When a shooter has more time, he becomes a knockdown shooter. Gatens, McCabe, Marble, even Cartwright can be knockdown shooters if they have the time. A quality big will create that.

Iowa had plenty of open shots this year.

Iowa does need a post, you're right about that, but Gatens wont develop into some great shooter his senior year.

No, what Iowa needs more than anything is a quality big who is a threat to score. That makes the defense collapse and gives our current shooters more time to shoot. When a shooter has more time, he becomes a knockdown shooter. Gatens, McCabe, Marble, even Cartwright can be knockdown shooters if they have the time. A quality big will create that.

Wrong. Cartwright gave May, and especially Gatens about a bazillion open looks this year and neither came even close to being a knockdown shooter. Guys don't "become" knockdown shooters; they either have it or they don't. Not to say a guy can't work on his shot in the offseason and improve, but giving Gatens and May more time is NOT going to improve their shooting %.

Hell, I used to be able to dribble a basketball with both hands & dunk. The only calls I received were from the admissions office at Luther & St. Olaf

Wrong. Cartwright gave May, and especially Gatens about a bazillion open looks this year and neither came even close to being a knockdown shooter. Guys don't "become" knockdown shooters; they either have it or they don't. Not to say a guy can't work on his shot in the offseason and improve, but giving Gatens and May more time is NOT going to improve their shooting %.

Wrong.
BB is rife with stories of guys improving their shooting as they go along.
Eric May shot 28% from the arc as a frosh,last year he shot 40%...knockdown? Not sure how you define ''knockdown'' but to me,anything in the mid-30's and up is acceptable.
Gatens shot over 40% from the arc as a frosh, but has gone down to 32% and 34% the last two years. Why can he not go back to 40% next year?
He was shooting under 20% from the arc with the cast on his left hand this year,then got the cast off in January,and had a stretch of shooting nearly 44% from the arc,then slumped in the second half.
Gatens is a great free throw shooter,and that almost always indicates that he is an above average shooter,touch-wise. yes, Bryce set him up with some open looks that he missed later in the season,but he will make those next year,I predict.
Derrick Rose made 16 from the arc his rookie and 2nd year in the league,then last summer he took over 1000 three pointers a day for six weeks,and so far he has made 122 3 pointers this year. Guys do improve.
Mike(Juice) Thompson of NW shot below 30% from the arc his frosh year as a starter,then 34%,then 41%,and finally 44% his senior year. The knock on him coming into NW is that he could never shoot the rock well enough...wrong.
Jon Diebler shot 29% from the arc his frosh year,then became the all time Big Ten 3 point shooter and led the league at over 50% this year. Nankavil was bad his first two years at wisky and finished second in the league this year.
May did not get near the open looks as the season wore on,that he got early,and he did not want to force shots with guys in his face. Early on he was over 45% from the arc,but dropped off after his groin injury.
If both guys are healthy next year,look for their percentages to go up.

Latest posts