May need a mobile QB

Secret8

In order for this offense to work well- history has proven it is more effective with a more mobile QB and not your typical Iowa, tall, drop back passing style QB. Davis saw success when he had Young and McCoy, both very athletic and mobile QBs that would extend plays and make gains on either running or on routes getting into their second and third progressions. JVB is IMO not mobile - less so than Stanzi even.

We really haven't had this since Tate and Banks and maybe that is why those years we were winning more games (for the most part) than we have since their departures.

It will be interesting to see if there is a shift in what they are looking for at the QB position. I think it has to change or this offense won't work the way it is suppposed to (see the old Niners teams and the Packers of today- both very athletic mobile QBs).

It is a hell of a lot more fun to watch our offense if there is some threat of a QB snapping off a 20 yard run after a broken play. We get to watch a lot of teams do this to us.

Not to criticize JVB, he was not recruited for his speed or ability to run the ball. We need a dual threat QB now.

I agree with you, but I doubt KF does. Seriously doubt KF brought in a guy who's offense would require a change from the statute QB KF likes. This is despite the fact that he has won 2 B10 titles with mobile QB's in Banks and Tate. Hard headed much?

So once a mobile QB comes in, and you are "happy". How will you respond once you find out he cannot throw accurately? Then will you want a pocket QB?

Not many great QBs can do both, hence the reason they are hard to find.

Nathon Chandler was probably Iowa's most immoble quarterback. However he did have a much better pocket presence than Vandenberg. Tate was exceptional at scrambling and passing on the move. I don't know what type of quarterback Greg Davis will choose down the road.

I'm not sure we need a "mobile" QB in the T-Mart, Denard Robinson, or M. Gray mold. But I agree we need a QB that can move the pocket, press the edge, and deliver accurate throws on the run. I think it is just too hard to ask a QB to make stand in the pocket, make the correct read, and accurately deliver a catchable pass into a small window on time ... play after play after play.

Plays break down, timing is sometimes off, reads are missed, balls don't always fit into a small window. But if you QB can improvise and be trusted to improvise by rolling out of the pocket, keep his head downfield, allow his WR to work toward him or go deep, and deliver accurate passes, that is where you get big chunks of yard even when a read is missed, a window is too small, or a block is missed.

My critique of the offense and KF in general, is that he seems to discourage this type of improvisation. Therefore we force our QB to stand in the pocket and consistently execute a designed player against a set defense, which is hard to do every time. I don't know if we don't recruit QB's capable of doing this (Tate did a lot of this) or we just heavily discourage it.

Don't forget that Davis has to actually go through the interview process this next offseason as he's only the interim oc. Depending on how the season goes, could there be a new offensive coordinator next year?

A more mobile QB would give you more options but, as prominent as the swing pass is in his scheme (Bullock is 2nd on team in receptions with 8 but has had several more several more targets), what Hawks really need is RB speed and saavy (i.e. running lane recognition), complimented by WR speed. QB mobility is probably 3rd on Davis' list of "wants".

I agree. That is exactly why I used the term "mobile" and not running. I would consider the guys you mentioned runners first. When Texas lost that mobile "creativity," Davis was exited out the door.

Your 3rd paragraph is spot on, and is probably a more consise way to make my point. A lot to ask of a guy who doesn't move around well.

I'm not sure we need a "mobile" QB in the T-Mart, Denard Robinson, or M. Gray mold. But I agree we need a QB that can move the pocket, press the edge, and deliver accurate throws on the run. I think it is just too hard to ask a QB to make stand in the pocket, make the correct read, and accurately deliver a catchable pass into a small window on time ... play after play after play.

Plays break down, timing is sometimes off, reads are missed, balls don't always fit into a small window. But if you QB can improvise and be trusted to improvise by rolling out of the pocket, keep his head downfield, allow his WR to work toward him or go deep, and deliver accurate passes, that is where you get big chunks of yard even when a read is missed, a window is too small, or a block is missed.

My critique of the offense and KF in general, is that he seems to discourage this type of improvisation. Therefore we force our QB to stand in the pocket and consistently execute a designed player against a set defense, which is hard to do every time. I don't know if we don't recruit QB's capable of doing this (Tate did a lot of this) or we just heavily discourage it.

I totally agree...

Would Ruddock or Sokol (apologize ahead of time if either of these names are misspelled) fit the description of a mobile QB? How would their mobility be described or compare to former/current hawkeye QBs?

I totally agree...

Would Ruddock or Sokol (apologize ahead of time if either of these names are misspelled) fit the description of a mobile QB? How would their mobility be described or compare to former/current hawkeye QBs?

I believe Sokol is the QB we have on the team that best fits GD offense.

i thought rudock was a decent runner? no, i'm not saying our backup qb is better than JVB. just thought i read on here that rudock was a pretty mobile QB

Major Applewhite, Chris Simms, both Texas Qb's that weren't mobile yet Texas won at least 9 games with them and with Simms they won 11. He won with running Qb vince Young and a mobile Qb Mccoy. I would say that he can win with any type of Qb.

Last edited:
Good point. Wisconsin fans loved watching Russell Wilson, but Wisconsin didn't really "need" him.

Cousins a mobile QB? This thought that certain offenses only work with mobile QB's is hogwash

Wut.

Davis system needs a brad banks type QB to be successful.

No, no he doesn't. And if you think he does, than we will never be successful with him because Rudock is going to be a pocket passer as well.

Latest posts