May and Basabe

FML

These guys are both good enough to get some minutes. However, they should not be starting. And if Iowa is going to take the next step, they need to get better and younger players on the floor more. Bryce and Oglesby should play ahead of May. And it's obvious White is better and much more potential than Basabe...hell I'd like to see what Olseani can do with some of Mel's minutes.

Mel's issues aren't all on Mel. He does need to develop an outside shot and he needs help on the inside from a taller player.

May on the other hand is a complete mind **** on why he gets the minutes that he is getting. He has had one great game and two decent games but the rest have been wasted space imo. He adds nothing on the offensive side of the ball and defensively he's not nearly as good as some of you think.

Oglesby has hit a slump so I can understand why he's not getting more minutes and starting White doesn't appear to be something that Fran wants to do. I'm ok with that since White is a Freshman and you don't want to put the kid into a situation unless its absolutely necessary - which its not.

May played 22 minutes last night and scored 1 point, had 1 steal and had 1 assist...that's it. That's the extent of the kids box score.....wtf?
White played 27 minutes had 5 rebounds, 2 blocks and 9 points.

white for may makes a lot of sense. mel on the other hand needa to start off really fast or his head isn't in the game at all. he gets down on himself if things don't go right and needs something positive to happen. he will be better off next year when Iowa has a legit center with legit height, Meyer and woodbury better be ready to play defense and rebound right off the bat.

white for may makes a lot of sense. mel on the other hand needa to start off really fast or his head isn't in the game at all. he gets down on himself if things don't go right and needs something positive to happen. he will be better off next year when Iowa has a legit center with legit height, Meyer and woodbury better be ready to play defense and rebound right off the bat.

May adds value to the team just not as a scorer. If a team has a more athletic 3, White really struggles to stay with guys. White has the offensive game of a 3 man, but he really does not defend the 3 or perimeter that well as he is kind of slow in terms of lateral quickness. His length at times can cover up his poor lateral quickness.

In terms of offensive value of course White brings way more than May. May is a guy I would love to get 8 point out of each game and that does not seem like it is asking too much. Hit one three point shot each half and somehow score another bucket somewhere.

I would like to see May rebound a bit more consistently from the wing position. He has the strength, but sometimes it just appaers he is a bit timid going after rebounds. You have to attachk the ball when rebounding.

Right now Iowa has players who dome some things really well, but there are not many well rounded players on the roster.

Yeah, May is solid defensive player. But he has no offensive game at all. 8 points a game? You kidding me.
Everytime May get's the ball, he pump fakes...which fools no one, because no one respects his outside shot, he than travels, which is not usually called for some reason and than he can't wait to get rid of the ball. I hate banging on the kid, but I think he chose the wrong sport.

Does May have a lot of offensive talent? No he does not, but he gets props for his effort on the floor. Mel seems to get a pass because there isn't a true center on the team but May does not??? If Mel doesn't get off good at the start of the game, he seems to just tank it. Maybe thats why Fran hasn't played him alot in the second half of some games. May at least brings effort on defense every time down the floor!

I have no problem with the Basabe/White rotation. I don't give a rats *** who starts. Fran has demonstrated he's going to play the hot hand. If Basabe starts and doesn't bring it then White comes in and gets more min. It doesn't matter who is starting there.

May is a bit different. May starts IMO because we lack depth at PG. The only real options we have at point are Cartwright and Marble. In an ideal world we have a back up PG which allows us to start...

PG- Cartwright
SG- Gatens
SF- Marble
PF- McCabe
PF- Basabe/White

The problem is we CAN'T start both Cartwright and Marble because then we have nobody coming of the bench to play PG.

May didn't bring a whole lot to the box score last night but he wasn't a complete disaster. He worked hard, played physical, and the shots he took were all good they just didn't fall.

May gets caught in no man's land too often. He goes 1-2 dribbles too far, then tries a scoop shot that gets swatted waist high. He seems most effective when he pushes the ball hard to the paint, then flares up for that jumper. The 3 ball and driving in traffic are not his forteit.

May gets caught in no man's land too often. He goes 1-2 dribbles too far, then tries a scoop shot that gets swatted waist high. He seems most effective when he pushes the ball hard to the paint, then flares up for that jumper. The 3 ball and driving in traffic are not his forteit.

This is actually incorrect. May was our best 3p shooter last year shooting a full 60 points higher than Gatens from a percentage standpoint. He's shooting a little better % than Gatens this year as well.

I have no problem with the Basabe/White rotation. I don't give a rats *** who starts. Fran has demonstrated he's going to play the hot hand. If Basabe starts and doesn't bring it then White comes in and gets more min. It doesn't matter who is starting there.

May is a bit different. May starts IMO because we lack depth at PG. The only real options we have at point are Cartwright and Marble. In an ideal world we have a back up PG which allows us to start...

PG- Cartwright
SG- Gatens
SF- Marble
PF- McCabe
PF- Basabe/White

The problem is we CAN'T start both Cartwright and Marble because then we have nobody coming of the bench to play PG.

May didn't bring a whole lot to the box score last night but he wasn't a complete disaster. He worked hard, played physical, and the shots he took were all good they just didn't fall.

Yes we can, just work Josh in when Cartwright needs a break and move Marble to the point. When Marble needs a break put Cartwright back in.

Mel's issues aren't all on Mel. He does need to develop an outside shot and he needs help on the inside from a taller player.

May on the other hand is a complete mind **** on why he gets the minutes that he is getting. He has had one great game and two decent games but the rest have been wasted space imo. He adds nothing on the offensive side of the ball and defensively he's not nearly as good as some of you think.

The funny thing is you could put Mel's name where you have May's and it would describe Basabe perfectly this year.

At least May is out there busting his tail on defense and looks like he is actually in the game out there. Basabe isnt putting up any stats and it looks like he just doesnt care.

But according to you, it isnt all Mel's fault that he isnt playing worth a damn.

I have no problem with the Basabe/White rotation. I don't give a rats *** who starts. Fran has demonstrated he's going to play the hot hand. If Basabe starts and doesn't bring it then White comes in and gets more min. It doesn't matter who is starting there. May is a bit different. May starts IMO because we lack depth at PG. The only real options we have at point are Cartwright and Marble. In an ideal world we have a back up PG which allows us to start... PG- CartwrightSG- GatensSF- MarblePF- McCabePF- Basabe/White The problem is we CAN'T start both Cartwright and Marble because then we have nobody coming of the bench to play PG. May didn't bring a whole lot to the box score last night but he wasn't a complete disaster. He worked hard, played physical, and the shots he took were all good they just didn't fall.
Yes we can, just work Josh in when Cartwright needs a break and move Marble to the point. When Marble needs a break put Cartwright back in.

I understand the idea, but its just a case where it allows for a much easier rotation if you don't start Cart and Marble. If you did you'd have to sit one at the 5 min mark to make sure he could come in fresh for the other after the u11 break.

I don't think I have seen someone as bad at finishing as May is in a while. His athleticism does give something on the court, and he can get to the hoop, but he has no touch and his layups always seem to rattle out.

Latest posts