Matt Ruhl: 8 year contract, $74 million, 90% guaranteed. Well. This will be interesting.

Sorry, but "turning around" Temple isn't even close to what's required of a coach in this situation.

And Baylor? Lol. He had a single good season (as you said with someone else's recruits), was under .500 for his short tenure, and never beat a ranked team. He bailed after a single unicorn season like his predecessor Frost, and proceeded to drive an NFL football franchise into the ground.

Rhule knows he's in an unwinnable position and in 3-4 years we'll be right back here in another one of these threads while the Huskers are looking for their 5th coach in ten years with 3 on the payroll.

Nebraska is scraping the crusties off the bottom of the barrel and trying to sell it as undamaged goods because no coach worth his weight in guano would go there.
Not the worst "unwinnable" situation if you walk away with $66M in the bank. Looks like the only ones who can lose in this scenario are the Fuskers

IMO, Rhule will get Nebraska to the Iowa, Wisconsin or Minnesota level within a 2-3 year period. Then he will jump ship around year 5. No way is this Rhule's destination job.

IMO, Rhule will get Nebraska to the Iowa, Wisconsin or Minnesota level within a 2-3 year period. Then he will jump ship around year 5. No way is this Rhule's destination job.
Based on what, though? Non-sarcastically asking.

Is there something you know about him that people don't or is it strictly a gut hunch?

Very, very rare that a guy comes from very little experience in major college football and thrives in a major conference. For every success story there are a hundred flops. As far as P5 programs, nebraska has every card stacked against it. There's literally no difference from a guy like him and Scott Frost unless you have some kind of info we don't.

What makes you think this is the dude? Genuinely curious.

I know it sounds dumb to ask, but that's what I think is misguided when it comes to nebraska and it's the same thing their fans are doing right now. Everyone thought Riley was the guy. Everyone thought Frost was the guy. I mean I get it if someone just has a crystal ball gut hunch, but it doesn't translate. Temple plays in in a conference where he gets to go after players left over after 70+ P5 teams are done picking through the litter. Baylor was a stroke of luck that he never followed up on, and even then he never won a game against decent (ranked) teams.

Why not? Think he'd like to get back to the NFL?

Is there something you know about him that people don't or is it strictly a gut hunch?

Very, very rare that a guy comes from very little experience in major college football and thrives in a major conference. For every success story there are a hundred flops. As far as P5 programs, nebraska has every card stacked against it. There's literally no difference from a guy like him and Scott Frost unless you have some kind of info we don't.

I know it sounds dumb to ask, but that's what I think is misguided when it comes to nebraska and it's the same thing their fans are doing right now. Everyone thought Riley was the guy. Everyone thought Frost was the guy. I mean I get it if someone just has a crystal ball gut hunch, but it doesn't translate. Temple plays in in a conference where he gets to go after players left over after 70+ P5 teams are done picking through the litter. Baylor was a stroke of luck that he never followed up on, and even then he never won a game against decent (ranked) teams.

You get it, I get it, I don't understand why 'Braska fans don't get it. In order to be successful where Nebraska plays you cannot rely on the same offense you run in the SEC, Pac 10 or Big 8. It just doesn't work. You have to be able to play games inside of a phone booth.

Have you ever heard of Drew Brees? Arguably the best quarterback in the history of the conference. Even with Drew Brees Purdue dropped at least two conference games every year. You know why? Because Joe fucking Tiller thought he could outsmart everybody and build a team around a wide open aerial attack instead of a team that could play in a phone booth.

I've been to one game in Lincoln. It was well under 32 degrees at kickoff. If you are relying on some newfangled offense in that shit you are absolutely going to lose to almost everyone in the Big Ten except the utter trash unless you have Ohio level talent, which Nebraska won't have.

You see, Ohio has this problem now but they haven't figured it out yet. When Tressel was there he had a squad that could "out-Wisconsin Wisconsin" one week and then go play a shootout against someone else the next week and win 49-28. Ohio can't play in a phone booth anymore. That is why they damned near got shocked by Northwestern. It's why Michigan has destroyed them the past 2 years. Harbaugh has the horses to play in the phone booth now and when it is the last week of November you better be able to do that in the Big Ten. It completely cripples the conference's hopes of titles and stuff, but you have to be able to do it to win the conference.

You make some good points, I remember how worried everyone was when Frost got the job. Riley was very popular, he turned a dogshit Oregon State football program and got them decent. Callahan was a stupid hire all the way around, no idea what they were thinking as he had no ties to the university and sucked in the NFL head coaching job he had. Pelini was a good hire, he knew how to coach in the Big Ten but the problem is the idiot fan base still had the 90s stuck in their heads and felt they should be better. Solich was in the same boat, he had no prayer after following Tom Osborne.

I'm gonna be laughing if Ruhl comes in and sucks ass and they have to eat that contract.

Why would he go anywhere after? He hit the lottery with that huge guaranteed money. The dude could go buy a Lambo for each day of the week and never even see a blip in his checking account.
and flip Lincoln the bird in the rear window on the way up I-80

He and Trev Alberts are on the same page. He is going to build this inside out. His entire background is all about the trenches...offensive and defensive line. Is that good enough to compete with OSU, Michigan and likely USC? Nope. But it will likely be good enough to compete with those 2nd tier schools, which Iowa is a part of.

What he did at Baylor is on par with what Bill O'Brien did at Penn St. As gross as this may sound, getting people to buy in, after those circumstances, takes a dude who can navigate through about anything. Rhule is one of those guys.

IMO, he is not a lifer at Nebraska. Despite all the money, he is very similar to Brian Kelly, just one of those coaches always chasing the next thing.

He and Trev Alberts are on the same page. He is going to build this inside out. His entire background is all about the trenches...offensive and defensive line. Is that good enough to compete with OSU, Michigan and likely USC? Nope. But it will likely be good enough to compete with those 2nd tier schools, which Iowa is a part of.

What he did at Baylor is on par with what Bill O'Brien did at Penn St. As gross as this may sound, getting people to buy in, after those circumstances, takes a dude who can navigate through about anything. Rhule is one of those guys.

IMO, he is not a lifer at Nebraska. Despite all the money, he is very similar to Brian Kelly, just one of those coaches always chasing the next thing.
Well, all of those things you said aren’t really based on anything of any substance. People said the same shot about Riley and Frost. All those things you just listed are abstract personality type things.
Essentially, when I asked you why you think he’ll be a good coach you’re just saying, “Beacuse I think he’ll be a good coach.”

Well, all of those things you said aren’t really based on anything of any substance. People said the same shot about Riley and Frost. All those things you just listed are abstract personality type things.
Essentially, when I asked you why you think he’ll be a good coach you’re just saying, “Beacuse I think he’ll be a good coach.”

Cleaning up the Art Briles mess doesn’t count?

Winning at Temple where no one wins I guess doesn’t count either .

He has spent a good chunk of his career as an assistant coach coaching offensive and defensive lines. As several people have already stated you win B1G games in the trenches…Albert/Rhule get that. PJ Fleck is a knucklehead and he got that the first day he got to Minnesota.

The talent gap between Nebraska and the 2nd tier B1G schools isn’t some gigantic obstacle that can’t be overcome.

Look man, because we are all hoping the Rhule hire is a failure doesn’t mean it will be a failure.

Cleaning up the Art Briles mess doesn’t count?
He had one good year with someone else’s (Art Briles') recruits and lost to every ranked team he played. I’d hardly call that cleaning up a mess. He then bailed and immediately caused a train wreck of epic proportions at his next job.

Temple? That’s about as persuasive as Todd Lickliter’s performance at Butler before coming to Iowa. It doesn’t translate to big boy conferences.

At the end of the day you can 50/50 gut hunch this hire, but there’s no smoke because there’s no fire with Rhule. He hasn’t done shit except get lucky in the NCAA one time and ruin an NFL team.

@Fryowa out of curiosity and because you've mentioned it a few times in this thread- what does Iowa offer recruits in terms of weather, draw, geography and selling points that Nebraska cant offer?

@Fryowa out of curiosity and because you've mentioned it a few times in this thread- what does Iowa offer recruits in terms of weather, draw, geography and selling points that Nebraska cant offer?

I'm not the guy you want but my perception of his comments were directed towards Nebraska not Iowa vs Nebraska but I'm sure he will respond.

My 2 cents on your question, even though you didn't ask, is stability. Iowa has the longest tenured HC in the Big Ten and that does make a difference, nor do they have a revolving door at the position level either. Coaches like Parker and Woods have been around for quite a while. Otherwise Iowa doesn't have much of a recruiting advantage, they've won more lately and Iowa City is a shorter drive to Chicago.

The coaching carousel Nebraska has had is hurting their program. The fan base still thinks they are elite level and everyone wants to go there and with every coaching change they get further and further away from that. I'm sure it's not helping them that everyone around them (even in the Dakotas) there are football programs either on the uptick (Kansas) or more stable than they are.

A better 15 year history, stability, MUCH better NFL prospects, tons of first round draft picks, bowl games 18 out of the past 20 seasons and 10 in a row up to now, we don't fire head coaches every 5 years, 3 conference POY awards in the past 6 years, we pull tons of kids from Illinois/Chicago metro and Detroit area/metro who go on to NFL careers, better academics, 35 Hawks on active NFL rosters vs 16 for nebraska, several Pro-Bowlers vs. none for nebraska...