Matt Gatens Looked Like a Different Guy

DuffMan

Gatens looked like a different player out there today. Was it a case of him finally feeling good on his ankle or was it more that Indiana doesnt have much lenght/athleticism which is what Matt sometimes struggles against?

Maybe a little of both,but mainly the latter. It is like Devan against zones vs man to man...he can be dangerous against a zone,but not against a man to man.

Matt needs to have the right mix of guys to play with,to be as good as he can be. If he played with Syracuses guys instead of Rautins...he would be as good as Rautins.
I think with the right team, Matt could be almost Kevin Korver like in his shooting.

Maybe a little of both,but mainly the latter. It is like Devan against zones vs man to man...he can be dangerous against a zone,but not against a man to man.

Matt needs to have the right mix of guys to play with,to be as good as he can be. If he played with Syracuses guys instead of Rautins...he would be as good as Rautins.
I think with the right team, Matt could be almost Kevin Korver like in his shooting.

Matt would be nowhere near as good as Rautins. They're different players, Rautins is a much better ball handler and doesn't struggle with athletic defenders like Gatens does. If he played with Rautins it would make him better as he would have more open looks and easy opportunities to score.

Fun to see him score like that.

I don't think he was blessed with fast-twitch muscles. He is about as non-explosive as you can get when he tries to do something athletic.

Love when he is hitting from behind the arc!

It looks like he was having fun again. I think the ankle really limited him & it's a good thing to see him crack some smiles every once-in-awhile.

I think the ankle has alot to do with it. He is not an explosive player but remember he always draws the best defender. I think you could tell his ankle is a bit tender when it got kicked late in the game. I didn't think he rolled it.

I agree with an earlier post though. I would like to see that grin more often.