Matt Gatens 4 years too early? Would he push later teams over the hump?

uihawk82

The recent thread on the hawks not hitting many buzzer beaters and Fran's teams losing down the stretch of the season made me wonder who could have been the type of player to get those teams over the hump. I think Matt Gatens could have been that type of player. I am sure Oglesby who was about the same size etc and known as a shooter was supposed to pour in the points to make the 2013-16-17 hawks win a lot more and make some tourney runs.

But Gatens had the ability to catch and shoot the trey and also drive and make a patented shot of his from about 15 feet. He was good at getting his shoulders past his defender on the drive and choosing his spot to get off his shot. It was something missing from those year's teams. Those teams could run the floor and score and also score in spurts. But all those years Fran's teams would suffer through long offensive droughts and just having a Gatens could have maybe helped them win 4 more regular season games a year by having that consistent scorer.

No because you can only have so many players at that position on the court at a given time. But, I will add that I sure feel for Matt Gatens having to play at that low point in Iowa basketball and that style he had to play. He definitely got the short end.

No because you can only have so many players at that position on the court at a given time. But, I will add that I sure feel for Matt Gatens having to play at that low point in Iowa basketball and that style he had to play. He definitely got the short end.

If Gatens was a true 6'5" then he could have rotated at the 2 and 3 spots. Who would have been all the players beating him out for time? And he could have helped for any 2 of that 4 year stretch.

If Gatens was a true 6'5" then he could have rotated at the 2 and 3 spots. Who would have been all the players beating him out for time? And he could have helped for any 2 of that 4 year stretch.

Wieskamp is the new Gatens, White or Uthoff. You can only have so many of them on the court at one time and that apparently isn't the position of need stated by many. Yes, he would be a good addition to the team, but, since you can only have a couple of those players on the court at a given time, whose production are you going to sit on the bench?

People think if you have this "true" PG that that is miraculously going to translate into 10-12 extra points a game. But, in reality, it usually doesn't because you are going to sit somebody else's net production. I realize you are not talking about the PG position with your post. I am merely pointing out just because you have a specific player on your team, it just doesn't always translate into extra points for the team, or that many.

And again, THIS TEAM typically scores enough points. That is not their problem. It is all about better defense.

Wieskamp is the new Gatens, White or Uthoff. You can only have so many of them on the court at one time and that apparently isn't the position of need stated by many. Yes, he would be a good addition to the team, but, since you can only have a couple of those players on the court at a given time, whose production are you going to sit on the bench?

People think if you have this "true" PG that that is miraculously going to translate into 10-12 extra points a game. But, in reality, it usually doesn't because you are going to sit somebody else's net production. I realize you are not talking about the PG position with your post. I am merely pointing out just because you have a specific player on your team, it just doesn't always translate into extra points for the team, or that many.

And again, THIS TEAM typically scores enough points. That is not their problem. It is all about better defense.

We need a true PG for the defensive side of the ball, the offense is fine. I like Connors passing ability, he will be deadly once he develops his perimeter shot.

Other than a PG that can create off the dribble and beat defenders at will, I think the one thing I'd like to see most on this team is a guy like Acie Earl. Someone who can protect the rim, alter/block shots and clean the glass.

Nothing against Gatens and I'd gladly take him on this team, but I'm not sure what particular need he really fills, either.

Sorry, I may not have been clear as I was talking about he 4 hawk teams that ended their seasons in 2013-16. Two of those teams were rolling and then crashed in Feb-Mar. One finished strong but all of those teams needed a clutch shooter and another wing scorer. In that other thread people were talking about who could have made more buzzer beaters for Fran's teams. You remember the two teams that were ranked top ten and just rolling then something happened. Some people thought they got tired and burnt out but is one thing Fran did was rotate players and keep their legs fresh. These 4 teams could have really used a Gatens-Weiskamp type player who was clutch shooting, a real good shooter but who could also make a defense pay for overplaying them by putting it on the floor to the hoop or for the pull up jumper and hit that shot.

Fran's teams have been known for some terrible offensive droughts and that is because of not having the clutch go to scorers and creators. If you have these clutch gamers and dont have the scoring droughts then you dont need hardly any buzzer beaters.

Weiskamp is very very good right now and getting better. He can be like a Chris Street but just a little smaller or maybe a Roy Marble Sr.

Other than a PG that can create off the dribble and beat defenders at will, I think the one thing I'd like to see most on this team is a guy like Acie Earl. Someone who can protect the rim, alter/block shots and clean the glass.

Nothing against Gatens and I'd gladly take him on this team, but I'm not sure what particular need he really fills, either.

Not talking about this year's team. I was talking about 2013-17

And I disagree and say any clutch scorer/playmaker whether a PG or wing etc can stop a scoring drought and keep a team winning.

I think Gatens would be an upgrade over Moss. Gatens of his senior year anyway for sure. He was one heck of an all around player. He wouldn't have the crazy swings of 20 pts this game and 4 or less the next. He was just a consistently productive player. As good as Moss is at his best he's just not overall good enough and not nearly consistent enough to play over Gatens if they were on the same team fighting for mins.

Sorry, I may not have been clear as I was talking about he 4 hawk teams that ended their seasons in 2013-16. Two of those teams were rolling and then crashed in Feb-Mar. One finished strong but all of those teams needed a clutch shooter and another wing scorer. In that other thread people were talking about who could have made more buzzer beaters for Fran's teams. You remember the two teams that were ranked top ten and just rolling then something happened. Some people thought they got tired and burnt out but is one thing Fran did was rotate players and keep their legs fresh. These 4 teams could have really used a Gatens-Weiskamp type player who was clutch shooting, a real good shooter but who could also make a defense pay for overplaying them by putting it on the floor to the hoop or for the pull up jumper and hit that shot.

Fran's teams have been known for some terrible offensive droughts and that is because of not having the clutch go to scorers and creators. If you have these clutch gamers and dont have the scoring droughts then you dont need hardly any buzzer beaters.

Weiskamp is very very good right now and getting better. He can be like a Chris Street but just a little smaller or maybe a Roy Marble Sr.

My comp for Weiskamp is Luke Recker... Can handle it some. Can shoot it great. Score inside and out. Mix it up in the lane. Both were absolutely studs in HS. Pretty much legends of sorts in that regard. I see a lot of Recker in him.

I think Gatens would help this team a lot because he would be starting over Moss. That would be a big upgrade.

As far as the 2 years that collapsed goes, Marble's senior year he would have taken Basabe's starting spot and the lineup would be Gesell, Gatens, Marble, White, and Woody. I would say that's a pretty decent upgrade that would turn a few close losses (we had a lot of them) into wins. Maybe end up with a 7 seed instead 11 seed.

Uthoff's senior year he would take Clemmon's spot to make the lineup Gesell, Gatens, Jok, Uthoff, Woody. Again a HUGE upgrade. We barely lost quite a few games including to Big 10 champ Indiana. More than likely we win that game and at least one other at minimum. That makes us Big 10 champs and probably a 4 seed at worst in the tourney.

My conclusion is yes he was a few years too soon and it would have been awesome to have him those two years or right now.

On a side note, having Jok or Marble on this team would make us a top 10 team and potential Big 10 champs. Of course most other teams could pick a past player and say the same thing.

What I recall is that Matt was nearly always given the job of defending the opposing team's best player on the perimeter. And, he was darn good at it. Also, I don't know if I have ever seen a kid work as hard as Matt did, both on O and D. Court sense: A+

It's funny how on this board, the term "true point guard" has morphed into meaning "whatever Bohannon cant do well". How in the hell did being a true point guard turn into being good at defense?

This is what I loved about Gatens: as a senior in HS, he obviously had serious perimeter skills (driving, shooting, etc.). But in close games when his team absolutely needed points, he would go and dominate people in the paint, doing what needed to be done to get the victory. Some players with his skill set are allergic to going inside, even if they have a physical advantage, but not him.

Wieskamp was the same way in HS.

it's a crime he had to play for Lickliter.
That 2010 team had a total of four players who belonged in a power conference. Gatens, Eric May, Jarryd Cole and Aaron Fuller. Four. That's it. Bawinkel, Payne, Archie, Cougill, Brommer and lil' Lick should not have been playing in the B1G.

My comp for Weiskamp is Luke Recker... Can handle it some. Can shoot it great. Score inside and out. Mix it up in the lane. Both were absolutely studs in HS. Pretty much legends of sorts in that regard. I see a lot of Recker in him.
I've mentioned Luke Recker and Sam Dekker. He's going to end up being a better player than Recker.

I've mentioned Luke Recker and Sam Dekker. He's going to end up being a better player than Recker.
He very well could. It'd be interesting to know how Reckers career would have went had he for one thing not gone to Indiana to begin with and say came to Iowa day 1 (he and Knight weren't a good fit obviously) and 2 not had that car accident. I would say at this point midway through each of their freshman seasons their ceilings are both pretty high.