Matt G.

OnLookin08

It's been said here a thousands times, but given the end of an era today it seems fitting. Matt Gatens represents what many of us like to think Hawkeye sports are about. He grew up a Hawk and made it clear from the beginning he would be one. When faced with adversity he stuck around. He did what he did and didn't bring a lot of attention to it. He was the type of player a dad could sit in the stands with his kids and say, "there he is, Matt Gatens...". The dad could end that sentence in a thousand positive ways and feel good that their kids were there watching a true representative of Iowa as a student athlete. When we look back in a few years when Iowa is back where we want them to be we have to look to this year's team and to Matt as the unwavering leader.

Thanks again Mr. Gatens.

Sincerely,

An Appreciative Hawk Fan

His hot streak vs Indiana and Wisconsin will live on in my memory for a long time.

anchorman-emotion.gif

If the rumors I've heard about him, Lickliter, and Barta are true he deserves to have a statue built outside of Carver.......

Greatest Iowa Hawkeye basketball player ever. Good luck Matt.

LMFAO! He made one all-conference 2/3 team. He was average, at best, in his only post-season experience....

Matt had a nice senior season. And as the OP said, he stuck it out during just about the worst period in the history of the program. He also had a really nice few game streak in the conference season.

But he doesn't even start on my all-decade team, to say the least calling him the greatest Hawk ever.

Who are my starters?
Brunner
Oliver
Haluska
Luke
Reggie

Horner would back up Dean
Matt would back up Luke

LMFAO! He made one all-conference 2/3 team. He was average, at best, in his only post-season experience....

Matt had a nice senior season. And as the OP said, he stuck it out during just about the worst period in the history of the program. He also had a really nice few game streak in the conference season.

But he doesn't even start on my all-decade team, to say the least calling him the greatest Hawk ever.

Who are my starters?
Brunner
Oliver
Haluska
Luke
Reggie

Matt would back up Luke

and there is always 1993 Iowa basketball - Chris Street's #40 retirement ceremony - YouTube

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Aw0P_Em2cY&feature=related

Last edited:
You guys are leaving out some of the all time great Hawkeyes. BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, Eddie Horton, Bobby Hansen, Kevin Gamble, Greg Stokes, Michael Payne, Mark Gannon, Sir Jamalot, Ronnie Lester, etc.

You guys are leaving out some of the all time great Hawkeyes. BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, Eddie Horton, Bobby Hansen, Kevin Gamble, Greg Stokes, Michael Payne, Mark Gannon, Sir Jamalot, Ronnie Lester, etc.

Andre Woolridge, Acie Earl, Jess Settles to name a few more.. And I know there are some players from back in the 60's and 70's that were pretty great as well.

Who are my starters?
Brunner
Oliver
Haluska
Luke
Reggie

Matt would back up Luke

What the hell kind of decade are you using to form this team? Oliver played from 1997-2001 and Gatens played from 2008-2012. So you have players that played in 3 different decades (90's, 2000's and 2010's) on your all-decade team?

Matt is a great Hawkeye. Thee greatest? NO. One of the greatest? Doubtful. He played his heart out every game. He used what talent he had to the best of his ability. Thank you Matt, you made this season exciting.

If the rumors I've heard about him, Lickliter, and Barta are true he deserves to have a statue built outside of Carver.......

This is his greatest contribution to the program, helping to force Barta to get rid of Licklieter. His dad was likely more instrumental though.

Latest posts