Matt Campbell Showing What it is to be a Clown

Really, your putting Matt Campbell on the level of Frost or Franklinstein? Why, because he's the head coach at Iowa State or wears those colors? Is it really that hard to be objective and admit they have a nice young and progressive coach.

I don't for a minute even have him remotely close to a Franklin or a Frost. Just because he wears the colors of your rival doesn't make him a crappy rogue coach.
He throws the same tantrums as Frost and Franklin after a loss or "bad" call (Which you should read as any call that goes against his team). He sulks after losses, not unlike either of those coaches. Their gameday demeanor is basically identical. The success he has had is largely a product of the conference he coaches in and the general direction the quality of his opponents have taken during his tenure. Iowa State has been helped on the simultaneous decline of Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, and West Virginia. Texas generally being at best only slightly above average helps on top of that. That accounts for over half of the conference that isn't Oklahoma, and those not mentioned are perennial bottom feeders or completely mercurial. Iowa State has punched up to be sure, but that is a product that is partially luck and largely a decline of their yearly opponents. Iowa State isn't some vastly improved team, despite what the national media wants you to think. They've held themselves together as most members of their conference have crashed and burned. Had Matt Campbell been hired at Nebraska instead of Frost I think he would have seen the same if not worse results.

I'd point you toward Iowa State's record against non-conference opponents. They aren't any better with Campbell than they were most of the last two decades without them. They've found more wins in conference play.

Last edited:
He throws the same tantrums as Frost and Franklin after a loss or "bad" call (Which you should read as any call that goes against his team). He sulks after losses, not unlike either of those coaches. Their gameday demeanor is basically identical. The success he has had is largely a product of the conference he coaches in and the general direction the quality of his opponents have taken during his tenure. Iowa State has been helped on the simultaneous decline of Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, and West Virginia. Texas generally being at best only slightly above average helps on top of that. That accounts for over half of the conference that isn't Oklahoma, and those not mentioned are perennial bottom feeders or completely mercurial. Iowa State has punched up to be sure, but that is a product that is partially luck and largely a decline of their yearly opponents. Iowa State isn't some vastly improved team, despite what the national media wants you to think. They've held themselves together as most members of their conference have crashed and burned. Had Matt Campbell been hired at Nebraska instead of Frost I think he would have seen the same if not worse results.

I'd point you toward Iowa State's record against non-conference opponents. They aren't any better with Campbell than they were most of the last two decades without them. They've found more wins in conference play.
Sorry dude, but I think you're whiffing on this one. Campbell can coach - what he's done at ISU is unprecedented in their program history. Maybe the Big XII is down but, just like Iowa, the Clones are still a little fish in a big pond and he's still finding ways to compete and win.

ISU faces the exact same talent scarcity as we do, except they have to face it on hard mode in the sense that, for all intents and purposes, they have no tradition to draw on whatsoever. Campbell's made something out of nothing over there and has my respect and attention.

Sorry dude, but I think you're whiffing on this one. Campbell can coach - what he's done at ISU is unprecedented in their program history. Maybe the Big XII is down but, just like Iowa, the Clones are still a little fish in a big pond and he's still finding ways to compete and win.

ISU faces the exact same talent scarcity as we do, except they have to face it on hard mode in the sense that, for all intents and purposes, they have no tradition to draw on whatsoever. Campbell's made something out of nothing over there and has my respect and attention.
It’s a fair take. We’ll see what he does when he takes a new job. Frost looked like the next big thing when he was at UCF, too.

It’s a fair take. We’ll see what he does when he takes a new job. Frost looked like the next big thing when he was at UCF, too.
Oh, for sure. I am also a firm believer that there is a BIG difference between winning at a place like Iowa than, say, USC.

To an extent, good coaching is good coaching...but a certain philosophy and style might be a smash hit at a blue blood but be a disaster at a "scraping at the margins" type program (or vice versa).

UCF was a pretty ready made program for him and he basically had one great year there. Campbell took over a dumpster fire and has done a very good job by any measure.
Frost's tenure at UCF was largely smoke and mirrors. I've dug into it a bit. He might turn out to be an OK coach, but labeling him The Next Big Thing (like many of us, self included, did) on the basis of his UCF tenure was a mistake.

George O'Leary had that program really clicking. They are also smack in the middle of some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. I looked into their schedule and they had a talent advantage in pretty much every game of Frost's tenure save 1 or 2 games a year.

He had a very good season and deserves some credit, but it was absolutely not the miraculous turnaround that it got sold as.

Latest posts