Mass exit at Pitt

Penn St beat Pitt 85-54 on Pitt's home floor. We lost to Penn St 77-73 on our home floor about 2 weeks later. Pretty much the same time of year with Penn St playing on the road both times but with drastically different results.

Our worst loss all year was by 24 points. Pitt had 6 games that were worse and one that was 24. Going off the stats and sizes and positions, their starting point guard averaged 10.0 ppg, shot 39% from the field and 33% from 3-point range. He had a 1.46 assist to turnover ratio as well as having the second-most fouls on the team. (Do we really want this point guard? I'm thinking not.)

'78, we really were speed/quickness at the guard positions (off/def) from being a contender. Unfortunately, that was a gaping flaw and something that couldn't physically be overcome. But yeah, we have loads of talent on offense. With any type of successful defense, we easily could have been a 10-12 win team in the B1G, in my opinion. We just need guards with speed/quickness that are willing to play defense.

I've been trying to figure out why we are so bad at defense. It really makes no sense.

Moss - Very athletic
Dailey - Very athletic
Cook - Very athletic
Wagner - Uber athletic
Garza - Surprisingly good at defending.
Baer - Known for defense / hustle

I know Nunge wasn't really ready to play great defense at this level...but his size and with a strength and conditioning coach...he's going to be a handful at 6'11". You could throw Kreiner into this mix also. Same with Pemsl.

So...that leaves Bohannon. Are we to believe he is responsible for giving up all the points? The worst defensive team in the conference...by like 8 points.

We have a coaching issue on defense...plain and simple. I love the way Fran's teams play offensively. Defense not so much. Bring in a defensive bench coach...what we have is not working.
None of those kids could stop one player from either Buffalo or Kentucky. In fact as a team, they’d be left watching drives to the basket or treys hitting nothing but net.

Let me know if you’ve seen that show before.

Little Lick have any eligibility left?
Maybe Evan turner could shave him (palm the ball in front of his face) again.

One of two defining moments of the Lickliter era. The other was
several hundred Illinois fans filling up section GG of our own arena.

One final comment. The night we played Georgia Tech in the 2010 Orange Bowl the basketball team played at Illinois with Jim Albrecht on the Mike.

If that game, that night, were at Carver there wouldn't have been a thousand people there.

[QUOTE="WinOneThisCentury, post: 1706811, member: 59123"]I've been trying to figure out why we are so bad at defense. It really makes no sense.

rking.[/QUOTE]

One thing that has always bugged me about Fran's defenses is they leave their man to help before or when they need to and this leaves perimeter players wide open. Need to stay with their guys.