Mass exit at Pitt

Hawkfnntn

Stallings getting canned is leading to 8 players asking for their release. I don't see which 8 and if any of them are quick pgs that are good at defense or not..... So 2 points stick out to me on this. One is that as bad as things are for us it can always be worse. And two I hope Fran is looking into what might be available..

Why Fran's not looking....

pfmAfp1g_400x400.jpg

Fran, desperate times call for desperate measures. Might as well check into these guys if you haven't already. Maybe some of them were just freshmen so that's why Pitt was so bad.

Fran's kids being good at basketball makes him such a target. People are the worst.
Well the kid does play the position in question here. It's not totally out of the realm to think there's something to it. I bet Fran would take a PG in a heart beat if one fell in his lap. First who all is leaving our program? Till that kind of gets sorted out we are where we are roster wise. I think we are all locked up unless someone leaves. (I'm not counting Cook I think he'll be back and Fran isn't shopping his scholly)

I've been trying to figure out why we are so bad at defense. It really makes no sense.

Moss - Very athletic
Dailey - Very athletic
Cook - Very athletic
Wagner - Uber athletic
Garza - Surprisingly good at defending.
Baer - Known for defense / hustle

I know Nunge wasn't really ready to play great defense at this level...but his size and with a strength and conditioning coach...he's going to be a handful at 6'11". You could throw Kreiner into this mix also. Same with Pemsl.

So...that leaves Bohannon. Are we to believe he is responsible for giving up all the points? The worst defensive team in the conference...by like 8 points.

We have a coaching issue on defense...plain and simple. I love the way Fran's teams play offensively. Defense not so much. Bring in a defensive bench coach...what we have is not working.

Also - before you jump my shit... THIS SEASONS record makes Fran an even bigger target. I'm just saying - Connor could end up being a very good PG for Iowa.

I've been trying to figure out why we are so bad at defense. It really makes no sense.

Moss - Very athletic
Dailey - Very athletic
Cook - Very athletic
Wagner - Uber athletic

I know Nunge wasn't really ready to play great defense at this level...but his size and with a strength and conditioning coach...he's going to be a handful at 6'11". You could throw Kreiner into this mix also. Same with Pemsl.

So...that leaves Bohannon. Are we to believe he is responsible for giving up all the points? The worst defensive team in the conference...by like 8 points.

We have a coaching issue on defense...plain and simple. I love the way Fran's teams play offensively. Defense not so much. Bring in a defensive bench coach...what we have is not working.

Cause Team Defense is about "Want-To!"

Also - before you jump my shit... THIS SEASONS record makes Fran an even bigger target. I'm just saying - Connor could end up being a very good PG for Iowa.

I think Conner answers the questions we have on offense. He doesn't answer them on defense. Conner has ability to move the ball quickly on offense. he doesn't have the foot speed we need on defense. Fran needs at least 1 defensive guard that has the foot speed and quickness to play defense in the B1G.

Moss - Very athletic
Dailey - Very athletic
Cook - Very athletic
Wagner - Uber athletic

I think you may be over hyping (for lack of a better word) Moss, Cook, Wagner and especially Baer.
Athleticism isn't the end all be all for defending (obviously but sure it helps)

Moss isn't that good at defending on the ball. He is a gambler and I don't think he's a hustler

Cook isn't a good anticipator of plays. He is a guy that reacts to what happens in front of him and either he's fast/quick enough to make the play or he's not. He's just really slow at helping off his guy if there is penetration and sometimes he never does.

Baer is way over rated I think at the other end. He's not fast or quick and can't keep most 3s in front of him. When playing zone he watches the ball and sags off his closest player too far often allowing them to catch and shoot an open shot because he's too far away. He hustles and makes plays here and there others don't but he's not that great on the ball or doing his assignment either

So. 3-15 would be considered improvement

Penn St beat Pitt 85-54 on Pitt's home floor. We lost to Penn St 77-73 on our home floor about 2 weeks later. Pretty much the same time of year with Penn St playing on the road both times but with drastically different results.

Our worst loss all year was by 24 points. Pitt had 6 games that were worse and one that was 24. Going off the stats and sizes and positions, their starting point guard averaged 10.0 ppg, shot 39% from the field and 33% from 3-point range. He had a 1.46 assist to turnover ratio as well as having the second-most fouls on the team. (Do we really want this point guard? I'm thinking not.)

Stallings getting canned is leading to 8 players asking for their release. I don't see which 8 and if any of them are quick pgs that are good at defense or not..... So 2 points stick out to me on this. One is that as bad as things are for us it can always be worse. And two I hope Fran is looking into what might be available..

“So 2 points stick out to me on this. One is that as bad as things are for us it can always be worse. And two I hope Fran is looking into what might be available..”

Are we referring to picking up a player or two or Fran’s next coaching job?” :eek:

“So 2 points stick out to me on this. One is that as bad as things are for us it can always be worse. And two I hope Fran is looking into what might be available..”

Are we referring to picking up a player or two or Fran’s next coaching job?” :eek:
Ha. I see what you did there

Moss - Very athletic
Dailey - Very athletic
Cook - Very athletic
Wagner - Uber athletic

It's not hard to figure out. They do not desire to play good defense. Playing defense is effort. It's "want to". Fran recruited a bunch of players that don't want to play defense.