Marty Tirrell Predicts....

Whos Marty Tirrell?

While Marty has many names (not all postable) he is none the less the "father of sports radio in Iowa". He and Miller started out in a barn in Indianola in the early 90's and then went on to the Cubby-Hole-In-The-Wall at KJJC ("The Jock"). After moving back to his native MA and taking a job doing the Celtics post game show, Marty returned to KXNO until certain FCC regs were tarnished. Now he is on 1700AM "The Champ". While the "Mouth of the Midwest" he may well be the most "connected" radio host that central Iowa has. Love him or leave him but he has credentials.

While Marty has many names (not all postable) he is none the less the "father of sports radio in Iowa". He and Miller started out in a barn in Indianola in the early 90's and then went on to the Cubby-Hole-In-The-Wall at KJJC ("The Jock"). After moving back to his native MA and taking a job doing the Celtics post game show, Marty returned to KXNO until certain FCC regs were tarnished. Now he is on 1700AM "The Champ". While the "Mouth of the Midwest" he may well be the most "connected" radio host that central Iowa has. Love him or leave him but he has credentials.

The only guy in the market who can claim to have Marty beat in the "connections" game is the guy he blasted and also got fired, Larry Cotlar...I'm not a fan of the "Cot-Man" but I still wonder how a guy gets fired for getting cussed out...and even though he sucks at interviews, he had a nice list to pull from.

The only guy in the market who can claim to have Marty beat in the "connections" game is the guy he blasted and also got fired, Larry Cotlar...I'm not a fan of the "Cot-Man" but I still wonder how a guy gets fired for getting cussed out...and even though he sucks at interviews, he had a nice list to pull from.

The one thing you can say about Larry Cotlar is that he never meant a fence he didn't want to ride. If he ever had an opinion on anything, he sure hid it well.

The one thing you can say about Larry Cotlar is that he never meant a fence he didn't want to ride. If he ever had an opinion on anything, he sure hid it well.

Listening to him interview a big timer was kind of like watching The Office...sure, it made you uncomfortable for half of it, but you knew you'd wind up laughing...

Listening to him interview a big timer was kind of like watching The Office...sure, it made you uncomfortable for half of it, but you knew you'd wind up laughing...

I remember when he had Rick Pitino on his show (really!) after Keno left town and Drake had hired Mark Phelps, and Larry asked Rick what he thought about Drake's new hire.

Cotlar: So, what do you think about Mark Phelps?
Pitino: Who?
Cotlar: Mark Phelps, the new coach at Drake.
Pitino: Never heard of him.

Awkward silence.

I remember when he had Rick Pitino on his show (really!) after Keno left town and Drake had hired Mark Phelps, and Larry asked Rick what he thought about Drake's new hire.

Awkward silence.

I was listening and nearly spilled coffee on my lap after hearing that.

Awkward silence.

Classic Cot-Man right there!

I'm sure everyone that listens to KXNO has heard how they'll play game ending calls between commerical breaks, or in between saying the call letters 8 times in row...but I digress.

I was working while Drake was playing their tournament game a couple of years ago, but was only able to listen to it. For some reason, I thought that it was only a national broadcast (kind of like what Westwood One doe for the NFL), and heard that call when WKU won the game. Unbeknowst to me was that Cotlar was on the air a few stations down the dial on KRNT.

What I would have given to have heard his call of that shot.

I am not listened to Marty for years after moving to KC, but I remember him well. I can just hear him: "Come talk to me when Iowa beats MSU to go 8-0!!!) Anybody can read accuscore and see that MSU has a 60% chance of winning. I am glad games are not played on paper and on the field instead!

that Iowa has a 60 percent chance of losing this game Saturday. He says if they lose to MSU, look for them to lose one of their last 3 at home and get blown out at Ohio St. Then the HAwks will go back to Tampa this year.

Dont shoot me....thats what I heard on his show yesterday.

GHI

Terrill hasn't had an original thought yet and is wrong more times than he is right about a lot of things. It's close between Terrill and Parault on who's wrong the most.

Terrill mentioned this source and then later made "his prediction" and/or used someone else's percentage.

"Accuscore says. . .
Michigan State 60% chance of winning
Iowa 39 % chance of winning

That's about the same as last week when Wisconsin was favored.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=292970127 "

AMEN!!!! The Cotman was so milktoast. Conversely, the day that Marty threw down with Tim Floyd I thought I saw a mushroom cloud!!!! Simply, Marty will ask the question. Coversely, Cotman doesnt know the question.

Last edited:

Latest posts