Marshalltown QB Blake Gimbel

thejumper5

Gimbel is a 6-4, 170 pound junior right now. He may not be a BCS prospect, but he is a guy that is worth keeping an eye on, if just to see what kind of numbers he can put up. Last night against Sioux City East, he threw for 567 yards and 5 TDs on 42/62 passing. Those don't just SEEM like impressive numbers; the 567 yards is an Iowa high school record.

Minor side note: SC East has given up 60 points to each of their last two opponents, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Gimbel is a 6-4, 170 pound junior right now. He may not be a BCS prospect, but he is a guy that is worth keeping an eye on, if just to see what kind of numbers he can put up. Last night against Sioux City East, he threw for 567 yards and 5 TDs on 42/62 passing. Those don't just SEEM like impressive numbers; the 567 yards is an Iowa high school record.

Minor side note: SC East has given up 60 points to each of their last two opponents, so take it all with a grain of salt.

You chuck that ball almost 65 times and you better have numbers like that.

Saw him play last week against Valley. He was not very good. However, he has some really quick backs and receivers (twin brothers). They run a spread offense that takes 2-3 years to really master. Valley runs a pro-style offense. Valley had 5 OL/DL prospects that had offers or interest from Iowa, Iowa State, Minny, MSU, Nebraska, NW, some others. But the Valley frosh team beat the Marshalltown frosh team 79-0 last Friday before the varsity won 45-24 (shut out Marshalltown in 2nd half).

Peschong went d2, Creekmur had a few D1 fb offers, I could see this kid going d2, but hes not as good as Peschong. Holdiman makes qbs next level ready thou.

Peschong went d2, Creekmur had a few D1 fb offers, I could see this kid going d2, but hes not as good as Peschong. Holdiman makes qbs next level ready thou.

You know this from 2 games into his junior season?? Do you even know at what point Fry offered Chuck Long? Forget it, there's no way you'd have a clue to the answer.

He is a junior and is more than likely going to beat Vandy's passing record for a year. I don't care how many times you let a kid throw, he has to be pretty good to get those kind of yards against the CIML.

I saw 3 of Creekmur's games as a senior; he made throws that a D1 QB makes. I was certain that if ISU offered, he would have made a decent Big 12 QB. I saw Gimble's game against Valley. We made some good throws, but not as good as Creekmur yet. The problem is, is that M'town goes 4 wide with one back but never runs. At least for the first half of the Valley game, not one called running play. I think Creekmur had a better set of wideouts, but the Steffenson boys sure to make it easy on Gimble.

Creekmur did not have any D1 football offers.

Creekmur would have had D1 offers had he wanted to pursue football. He made it pretty clear after basketball season started his senior year that he wanted to play hoops in college, so football teams cooled on him. If he had wanted to play football, Iowa State would have offered.

As a source close to the situation, as in I've known the kid personally since he was in elementary school, he has a long ways to go but has some potential. I don't think its B1G potential personally. I've been to both mtown home games this year and can tell you he doesn't make many throws down the field. I work with a mtown coach and the yac his recievers get is ridiculous. I will say he does throw very catchable balls with good touch but he has a long ways to go before we talk offer.The kid is a huge hawk fan and was actually at the game saturday so if he does improve he'd be a hawk in a second if ordered.

As a source close to the situation, as in I've known the kid personally since he was in elementary school, he has a long ways to go but has some potential. I don't think its B1G potential personally. I've been to both mtown home games this year and can tell you he doesn't make many throws down the field. I work with a mtown coach and the yac his recievers get is ridiculous. I will say he does throw very catchable balls with good touch but he has a long ways to go before we talk offer.The kid is a huge hawk fan and was actually at the game saturday so if he does improve he'd be a hawk in a second if ordered.

Thanks for the info. Good to know that if he does blow up that he would likely pick Iowa. From the sounds of things, it seems like he is a product of his system more than anything else.

For all you M'Town homers, Creekmur was never that good, and he was a headcase to boot. Just because you never have any decent players come out of that town is no reason to overstate the kid's abilities.

At least 80% of his passing yards are from yards after the catch. Throws pretty much short routes and has really fast quick wide receivers. Good kid and family. The family is big Hawk fans as well.

For all you M'Town homers, Creekmur was never that good, and he was a headcase to boot. Just because you never have any decent players come out of that town is no reason to overstate the kid's abilities.

Couldn't agree with you more. He was a giant arrogant headcase. Still doesn't take away he would of had d 1 offers. I dont expect him to do much at Asu and if he would have gone fb route Id say the same

Blake and his Dad Gary tailgated and sat with us at the Pitt Game last Saturday.

Blake is a really good kid. Very grounded. Still learning the game, admittedly. He has a high ceiling being only a junior.

His parents are amazing. Not the over-bearing type. Very realistic. They are letting him do his thing, and helping him when they can.

Blake is a pretty tall kid. Has plenty of filling out still to do. My guess is that if the skills develop, he will be one of those kids that comes on the radars of recruiters late in the game.

Blake was all over sports talk radio in Des Moines last Friday. Murph and Andy had him on and I think someone else did as well.

I believe that Kyle Starcevich from SE Polk is the junior QB to watch in the CIML.

Starcevich is supposedly the best high school quarterback Southeast Polk has ever had, which says a lot. I've read that he is maybe a better passer than Kyle Orton was at the same age. He's definitely worth keeping an eye on. Another great junior QB is Joel Lanning of Ankeny. There are issues with Lanning, though. First, Ankeny throws the ball about 6 times per game. Second, he is maybe better at baseball than football, so maybe he would choose to play college baseball instead of football, as his older brother did.

One junior QB I would like to see Iowa go after is John Peltz of Wheaton North (Wheaton, IL--alma mater of Chuck Long). I'm a little biased because I went to college with his older sister, but I've seen that he is rated among the top juniors in Chicagoland. Peltz comes from a very athletic family--his mom was a 4-time Olympic speed skater, his sister was an Olympian in '10 and his brother is training for the '14 games; his dad is a D3 assistant coach (at the college I went to) and his uncle is the head coach at the same school.

Latest posts