Marble: Leave Early for NBA?

Draymond Green went 35th in the draft this year. Robbie Hummel went 58th. It's hard to make it to the NBA and get drafted. I'd say he has a 5% chance of ever getting drafted. NBA guys don't draft to many seniors. The young guys always get selected ahead.

The Green and Hummel aspects certainly came to mind, as did others...that being said, if Dev makes even more improvements this year, he could get into Top 58 discussion..but you want to know you are going in 1st round.

He is young enough where he could play four years in college and not be as penalized as most seniors, IMO

The Green and Hummel aspects certainly came to mind, as did others...that being said, if Dev makes even more improvements this year, he could get into Top 58 discussion..but you want to know you are going in 1st round.

He is young enough where he could play four years in college and not be as penalized as most seniors, IMO

You really need to be about a top 40 guy with the foreigners that get taken. There is always 3-5 in the first round (sometimes more) and than a lot in the second round. And I agree, you don't go early if you aren't guaranteed a 1st round pick

You really need to be about a top 40 guy with the foreigners that get taken. There is always 3-5 in the first round (sometimes more) and than a lot in the second round. And I agree, you don't go early if you aren't guaranteed a 1st round pick

There was what, one Euro player taken in this year's first round? Things have sort of subsided there as of late, but several in second.

There was what, one Euro player taken in this year's first round? Things have sort of subsided there as of late, but several in second.

Yes, but there were 6 last year. I may have been a bit high with my initial comment but the point is the same. You can count on 10-15 foreigners being drafted a year. Teams draft them and stash them.

I think the quickest way to think about this is that if Marble was receiving legitimate first-round buzz after this year, it would indicate that he absolutely exploded, averaging something like 16 points, 3 assists, 6 boards, and 2 steals/game. You're talking about something in the range of Robbie Hummel-like production to get him looked at. That would likely indicate that he carried Iowa to a great year-- top 3-4 in the Big Ten and a nice seed (6 or lower) in the tournament. So it's a win/win-- in the chance that he does that, you're ecstatic about the season whether or not he stays-- in the (much more likely) chance that he doesn't, you're really excited about Iowa's chances in 2013-14.

Having said all that, I just don't see it. NBA shooting guards coming out of college usually look like this:

roycoverpic28.jpg

Or this:

141016093_extra_large.jpg

Not this:

112183215_display_image.jpg

Are you going to be ok?

You seem to be taking the banning you received from teh Scout Board extremely hard.

I am butt hurt over it. After Howe posted that article Herby has to be on the forums gushing on how he was right saying Marble could leave after this year for the NBA. I sooo want to see it. :D

The international trend will not wane. This year is an abberation in an on-going trend. I think the days of international players going high in the draft may be over, because the NBA is a game of fads, and that fad is over. However, teams will always pick up foreign players in the 2nd round at a higher rate. The benefit is two-fold; One, second round picks are mostly worthless, and no one wants them, so they can draft a foreign player, hold his rights without keeping a contract on file, and two, they can sit on the player and see if he turns into a player a few years down the line. An example is Omer Asik, who played in Turkey after being drafted in 2008 and then joining his NBA team in 2010.

I'm sorry, but this just comes across as such a homer Iowa thread that I'm seriously amazed at some of the comments on here about whether he has a shot at leaving early after next season. I just don't see it. He can't take the ball to the basket consistently and finish in the big ten, but somehow he's ready to do it in the NBA with another year under his belt. In the NBA, he would be going against quicker players, stronger players, and more athletic players than he is...and one year of development isn't going to change that.

Who is he going to guard in the NBA right now? I'm not saying he didn't make huge improvements last year, and I hope he gets stronger and improves his outside shooting capabilities this year to round out his game, but to think he can go from where he was last year to an NBA 1st or 2nd round choice in one year of development is silly. He wasn't one of the top 10 guards in his conference last year.

Geez, talk about putting unrealistic expectations on a player...I hope he doesn't believe the hype. That would be the worst thing for this kid.

yes...I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to some of the posts near the end of the thread...that were homering it up...Once again, I'd love to see the exponential growth, but I have to call it as I see it...similar to the OP.

ok, even though I am banned I am still checking the headlines on the Scout site. Normally I enjoy Robs articles but this one struck me as kinda funny. If the opportunity presented itself Marble would consider leaving Iowa for the NBA. :D

Scout.com: Early Exit?

This is where I start to miss Herby.

A day late and a dollar short. This about Marble has already made the rounds several times.

Latest posts