Marble Interview

You have to freaking love this kid. If the Hawks actually are able to turn it around, he will be right in the middle of it. Great attitude, well spoken, but also very candid. I have a feeling he is going to be the kind of leader that we expected of Matt.

Matt just doesn't have the kind of personality that draws people to him, which has made it way too easy for guys to leave. Devyn clearly appears to have the kind of personality that will help create the types of relationships where kids will want to stick around.

You have to freaking love this kid. If the Hawks actually are able to turn it around, he will be right in the middle of it. Great attitude, well spoken, but also very candid. I have a feeling he is going to be the kind of leader that we expected of Matt.

Matt just doesn't have the kind of personality that draws people to him, which has made it way too easy for guys to leave. Devyn clearly appears to have the kind of personality that will help create the types of relationships where kids will want to stick around.

Devyn and Melsahn seem like two great kids, plus you add in McCabe who by all accounts is a leader and well rounded kid and we are left with a very encouraging freshman class. Hopefully the chemistry improves dramatically in the coming months, actually I think it has not only via coaching changes but transfers as well. Wash the team of those that aren't fully committed and start building around those that are which we appear to be doing. It seemed in the past there were divisions between the different classes on the team, I would imagine that is one of the first things Fran attempted to address. Win or lose, I want to see a team that not only gives maximum effort but also gives the appearance that they are enjoying what they are doing. Certainly losing led to unhappiness from within the team, but gosh how often even in games that we did win did you see kids with smiles on their face, genuinely happy for each other?

Meanwhile, I did like how Devyn sounded in the interview. He sounds like he is a bit overwhelmed with the schedule right now,but that is natural for any frosh in his first summer in college...sounds like he will handle it tho. Glad to hear his dad was there for him last nite.

I think you are projecting way too much on very little evidence. I will defend Matt here,tho. What exactly about the Lick regime makes you think that the coach was not 100% the problem with player retention?
Cole and Bawinkel were the captains...and they get a pass,while Matt gets blamed? BS.

Last edited:
Gosh, he doesn't bear much of a resemblance to anyone Hawk fans used to cheer for back in the day, does he?

Will be great to have another Marble on the floor for IOWA.

I'm totally impressed by Marble and Basabe...they seem like they've got the right mindset for a couple of incoming freshmen! Man, I can't wait for this summer to get OVER with!!!

Holy smokes, did I really just say that??? I meant I can't wait for FB and BB to fire it up!

Meanwhile, I did like how Devyn sounded in the interview. He sounds like he is a bit overwhelmed with the schedule right now,but that is natural for any frosh in his first summer in college...sounds like he will handle it tho. Glad to hear his dad was there for him last nite.

I think you are projecting way too much on very little evidence. I will defend Matt here,tho. What exactly about the Lick regime makes you think that the coach was not 100% the problem with player retention?
Cole and Bawinkel were the captains...and they get a pass,while Matt gets blamed? BS.

No of course the blame is not on Matt. I am sorry if that is how my comments came off. The blame is on Lick. However, the team has also lacked that one player who can get other players to rally around. When I say Matt isn't that player it is important to note that no one else on the team is that player as well. The only reason I singled out Matt is that I think a lot of us expected him to be that guy. It was an unfair expectation, because it isn't his deal. Matt should be able to focus on leading by playing fundamental basketball.

Latest posts