MARBLE BRINGS IOWA ATTENTION AT DRAFT

HawkeyeHypnosis

http://iowa.scout.com/2/1414454.html

from article:

"We haven't had a pro prospect in a long time. I'm doing that. It can pave the way for other players. Whitey (Aaron White) is going to the Durant Skills Academy (Friday), which is an excellent thing for the program. You can see the culture changing and people are showing Iowa basketball the respect that we've earned. That was one of the main points of me coming to Iowa to change the culture. Coach McCaffery knew that. And he's helped me get to where I'm at today," Marble said.

Iowa is back on the map. Devyn cares about Fran and the Hawkeyes. We are becoming a consideration for the quality players, and that will only get better as time goes on.....

He did look good in the workout, certainly should have raised some eyebrows....

We are headed in the right direction, that is for certain.....

Playing overseas two years in a row, and Aaron going to the Durant Skills Academy is impressive.....

:rolleyes:

http://iowa.scout.com/2/1414454.html

from article:

"We haven't had a pro prospect in a long time. I'm doing that. It can pave the way for other players. Whitey (Aaron White) is going to the Durant Skills Academy (Friday), which is an excellent thing for the program. You can see the culture changing and people are showing Iowa basketball the respect that we've earned. That was one of the main points of me coming to Iowa to change the culture. Coach McCaffery knew that. And he's helped me get to where I'm at today," Marble said.
It's comments like this from RDM that make me shake my head sadly at those who think he wasn't a team player. Pave the way Dev. Others are coming.

It's comments like this from RDM that make me shake my head sadly at those who think he wasn't a team player. Pave the way Dev. Others are coming.

I have a slightly different take from his comments ...

I don't think it was ever a question of Dev being a "team player". His comments clearly indicate a tremendous amount of team passion. They also indicate a tremendous amount of personal confidence.

That's the issue -- confidence comes from within. Others also had tremendous confidence but, at times, based on their seeming tendency to defer to him, their confidence was more so in Dev than themselves.

It's great he brings some attention to Iowa basketball and I hope his confidence comes to fruition in the form of a long, successful pro basketball career. As for "paving the way" ... not so much. It's up to each guy (and a lesser degree, the coaches) to look in the mirror and decide their going to pave their own way.

The team had a serious lack of leadership last year. I feel like there was no one to rally behind on the court setting an example (Woody showed it at times, but no one seemed to care?). Mostly for Dev though, and the rest of the team to be honest, it was the bizarre lack of emotion. I just remember Dakich pointing this out one game last season.. Someone would come in off the bench and make a few great plays in a row, and literally the team were like a bunch of robots. I know some guys simply don't have the personality to step up into these leadership roles, and I think Dev is just one of those guys. I really think it hurt a lot of peoples perception of him despite reading all the time how much he seemed to love his teammates and playing for Iowa.

I just hope next season we actually see our seniors step up, and show that emotion on the court we've been lucky to have over the years.

The team had a serious lack of leadership last year. I feel like there was no one to rally behind on the court setting an example (Woody showed it at times, but no one seemed to care?). Mostly for Dev though, and the rest of the team to be honest, it was the bizarre lack of emotion. I just remember Dakich pointing this out one game last season.. Someone would come in off the bench and make a few great plays in a row, and literally the team were like a bunch of robots. I know some guys simply don't have the personality to step up into these leadership roles, and I think Dev is just one of those guys. I really think it hurt a lot of peoples perception of him despite reading all the time how much he seemed to love his teammates and playing for Iowa.

I just hope next season we actually see our seniors step up, and show that emotion on the court we've been lucky to have over the years.

You don't think Marble stepped up his senior year? Did you watch any games? Not saying that the communication wasn't an issue with the team but to say he didn't step up as a senior is wrong.

I think the comment was about leadership not athletic performance. Dev contributed greatly on the floor last year but he didn't demonstrate half the leadership that May showed us the year before....

The leader doesn't necessarily have to be the best athlete on the team.

I think the comment was about leadership not athletic performance. Dev contributed greatly on the floor last year but he didn't demonstrate half the leadership that May showed us the year before....

The leader doesn't necessarily have to be the best athlete on the team.

G11's comments were about leadership based on a quote about teamwork based on an article about how Marble has helped bring Iowa back from a long drought.

Not sure why it is so hard to follow...

Funny, I think it still reads like a pretty "me-centric" quote. As for on the floor... i think Fran is as much to blame. No doubt he told Dev to take over when he felt like it. And I'm sure some of it was (as least subconsciously) the pay off to Dev for sticking with the program.

Orlando-area TV didn't even mention him this morning, just the first two draft choices for the Magic. As an Orlando-area resident, I certainly hope Dev does well here. He is coming to a beleaguered franchise, for certain. Hopefully, he finds a role and takes it quickly and confidently.

G11's comments were about leadership based on a quote about teamwork based on an article about how Marble has helped bring Iowa back from a long drought.

Not sure why it is so hard to follow...

Not hard to follow at all. I understand exacly what G11 is saying....

...."I know some guys simply don't have the personality to step up into these leadership roles, and I think Dev is just one of those guys"........

So what are your predictions on him actually making the team and playing? I'll be pleasantly surprised if he has success but I gave up trying to predict who could and couldn't play in the NBA long ago.

I may be wrong if we tank next year and lose a ton of games but I'm not mad that he's leaving. I like him but got a weird feeling that even though he has talent perhaps his talent doesn't match the amount of touches we gave him..I have a feeling that we won't miss him. But like I said I might be wrong.

So what are your predictions on him actually making the team and playing? I'll be pleasantly surprised if he has success but I gave up trying to predict who could and couldn't play in the NBA long ago.

I may be wrong if we tank next year and lose a ton of games but I'm not mad that he's leaving. I like him but got a weird feeling that even though he has talent perhaps his talent doesn't match the amount of touches we gave him..I have a feeling that we won't miss him. But like I said I might be wrong.
We'll miss RDM. It's hard not to miss 17 pts/game. But I think we're capable of filling in his absence. Woodbury and Olaseni seem to be taking it to new levels. The center position may be our go-to player in half court this year. A little shooting and our offense will be fine. I'm interested to see how TD does next Thursday. We could use his quickness defensively.

As far as RDM making the Magic, he appears to have a decent shot. After Afflalo was traded away, they needed a shooter and Dev draft workout showing in that area was obviously noticed. Their GM seems to appreciate his flexibility and flexibility allows lots of different sets with one player in them.

I agree with Gohawkz, that he will not be missed much. After players adjust to their roles, as in any year, things will move along. TD will add his quickness, Uhl scoring and rebounding, and players elevating their games in the system. All is well.

If White is going to the Durant academy skills thing...I hope they notice he doesn't shoot the 15-18 foot jumper consistently and he's a consistent shot from that range from being a great player. Let's just work on that.

I think he's got a good chance to make it. I think it's like his FR season, all over again: he need to get NBA stronger. When he does, I think he'll be good. I am in no way saying he's as good as Reggie Miller, but he could be the same type of player. His jumpshot will get better.

Regarding last season, not every team can co-exist with having one dominant player. That's a team chemistry issue and it isn't necessarily due to selfishness. From what I recollect, it was about the time other teams figured out we had problems running half court offense that RDM started "taking over" because he was really the only one that could create his shot on his own. Maybe jealousy developed out of that, I don't know. But that was really the end of the line as far as team chemistry went. I will say that I recall plenty of times when RDM would have less than 4 or 5 shot attempts, in the first half of games, and then bring it in the second half. Perhaps he was trying to allow his teammates to get going in the first half and if it didn't work, he felt the need to take over. That's my take. I think it was just an unfortunate turn of events. Keep in mind that for the first 20 games, Iowa was rolling and high-fiving and showing tons of emotion. But I agree, whatever happened, we have a new team this season and if the same lack of chemistry is there, we'll know more about the source. If it is gone, we'll know more about the source.

So Devyns leadership and contribution was fine until the last 8 games of the season? In those last 7 losses at the end of the season, Devyn averaged 20 pts/ 6 assists, which led the team in both categories. Iowa shot well in all of those games outside of NW and Tenn. Dev shot around 48% from the field in those games, which is great for a leading scoring guard. Anyone saying that this kind of production on offense will not be missed is wrong.

Fans memories blur very quickly it seems....the major problem in these losses was that the opposition shot over 48%, with Minny and IU shooting over 60 %, in every game cept for Tenn. Our defense was the problem. Now, if that is about a lack of leadership, maybe that is a good point. But, Devyn was one of our best defenders, so I doubt that it is on him.

We lost most of those games very close...so it was not like we got blew out, cept for Tenn.
I hope I am wrong, but I think we will miss Devyn just like we missed Matt Gatens the year after he left. Matt shot us to a few upsets with his torrid 3 pt shooting in the Big Ten season....we missed that tremendously the next season when we could not shoot a lick and lost a bunch of close games.

Fans tend to take guys for granted til they are gone....which seems to be the case with some fans and Devyn.

Latest posts