Marble at point next year

Marble at the point makes Iowa more explosive, have to be careful if the other team has a shut down defender ie: Croft Marble's handles are not point guard sharp.

I agree, although his length does help a little in those matchups. But I think we'll see more Gesell/Clemmons (hopefully, anyway) against defenders like Craft, etc. Marble might still play point most of the time, but there will be times where we'll be better off with him off the ball, IMO. Unless officials start taking a stand against all the hand checking crap, which would seriously affect Craft's defensive "prowess".

I agree, although his length does help a little in those matchups. But I think we'll see more Gesell/Clemmons (hopefully, anyway) against defenders like Craft, etc. Marble might still play point most of the time, but there will be times where we'll be better off with him off the ball, IMO. Unless officials start taking a stand against all the hand checking crap, which would seriously affect Craft's defensive "prowess".

Now that's just crazy talk.

Marble at the point makes Iowa more explosive, have to be careful if the other team has a shut down defender ie: Craft Marble's handles are not point guard sharp.

I don't think it makes them explosive I think it makes them harder to guard in the half court but Marble isn't great at pushing the ball in transition.

Im torn on whether I like him there or not.

Its definitely the spot he plays best at because he can score on the smaller defenders but hes not going to get the smaller defender if Gessel or Clemons is out there.

Im not sure If the positives of Marble playing his best out weigh potential negatives of the ball not moving as much.

Last edited:
I don't think it makes them explosive I think it makes them harder to guard in the half court but Marble isn't great at pushing the ball in transition.

Im torn on whether I like him there or not.

Its definitely the spot he plays best at because he can score on the smaller defenders but hes not going to get the smaller defender if Gessel or Clemons is out there.

Im not sure If the positives of Marble playing his best out weigh potential negatives of the ball not moving as much.
I think Marble at the point makes sense as a first line of attack. Make the defense stop him with the ball in his hands. If the D stops him, use the fact that both MG and RDM can play PG AND 2G to create favourable match-ups. Another dimension to this is that I think we'll be looking more inside next year which will take some pressure off the guards.

Lots of views on the offense...good stuff. Question: Who will be the defensive "stopper" as in Gatens and then May? This is as crucial as any single element on next year's team. Clemmons...though a bit short; would like a guy in the 6'5" range...don't see one. Worried.

I would love to see this team play a little more zone that usual. Especially with the starting 5 I predicted (Marble, Gesell, Uthoff, White and Woodbury). The length there would drive teams crazy.

Lots of views on the offense...good stuff. Question: Who will be the defensive "stopper" as in Gatens and then May? This is as crucial as any single element on next year's team. Clemmons...though a bit short; would like a guy in the 6'5" range...don't see one. Worried.

My money is on Clemmons. His height doesn't worry me. He's strong and athletic. May had to guard taller guys much of the time...if they were having a big game and no one else could get it done.

Edit - Fran has been quoted numerous times as saying he expects his players to be able to guard guys a few inches taller.

Marble at the point makes Iowa more explosive, have to be careful if the other team has a shut down defender ie: Craft Marble's handles are not point guard sharp.
On a related note, if Marble is at the point I expect teams to start picking him up full court. They will try to get the ball out of his hands, or make him exert additional effort to get the ball up the court.

Dang that is a matchup nightmare. Hope he runs well. Uthoff needs to pay attention to how White runs the floor.

I can hear Fran now: "Stop lifting your knees, son. If your feet get more than three inches off the ground, you are doing it wrong. Watch how Aaron does it. If we put some shammies on his feet, we could fire the floor buffer and save a few bucks. That is how you do it, son."

The talent level for next years team may rival any prior team that Iowa has placed on the floor.

1986-87 Team
Roy Marble / Devon Marble
BJ Armstrong / Gesell
Kevin Gamble / Uthoff
Brad Lohaus / Woodbury
Jeff Moe / Jok
Ed Horton / White
Gerry Wright / Basabe
Al Lorenzen / McCabe
Les Jepson / Olaseni
Steve Lusso / Oglesby

It would not be a particularly close game if those two squads were somehow able to bend the space-time continuum and play each other.

I like next year's team, but let's keep it reasonable.

My money is on Clemmons. His height doesn't worry me. He's strong and athletic. May had to guard taller guys much of the time...if they were having a big game and no one else could get it done.

Edit - Fran has been quoted numerous times as saying he expects his players to be able to guard guys a few inches taller.

His point about May/Gatens' height was versatility. Yes, Clemmons guarded taller players a lot this year. But Gatens and May could guard some point guards because they had the quicks, but could also guard players that were 6'7". That's something Clemmons can't do. 6'5" is ideal for your best defender, because he can guard a very wide range of players on the other team, making it more likely that he can match up with the other team's best player.

His point about May/Gatens' height was versatility. Yes, Clemmons guarded taller players a lot this year. But Gatens and May could guard some point guards because they had the quicks, but could also guard players that were 6'7". That's something Clemmons can't do. 6'5" is ideal for your best defender, because he can guard a very wide range of players on the other team, making it more likely that he can match up with the other team's best player.

I realize this and agree with you. I don't think that guy is currently on our roster so I go with Clemmons...should be able to get up into the shooters, work around screens, stay in front of the guys that want to put it on the floor, etc.

I think Marble at the point makes sense as a first line of attack. Make the defense stop him with the ball in his hands. If the D stops him, use the fact that both MG and RDM can play PG AND 2G to create favourable match-ups. Another dimension to this is that I think we'll be looking more inside next year which will take some pressure off the guards.

Agree, UncleHawk. Think about it as a double-point guard attack. This is also why I think Clemmons continued improvement is huge for this team. If you can always have 2 point guards on the floor (with a bit of Oglesby manning the second from time to time) the offense should function really well at a high level and high speed. Tough match up for other teams.

I can hear Fran now: "Stop lifting your knees, son. If your feet get more than three inches off the ground, you are doing it wrong. Watch how Aaron does it. If we put some shammies on his feet, we could fire the floor buffer and save a few bucks. That is how you do it, son."

Really?

Agree, UncleHawk. Think about it as a double-point guard attack. This is also why I think Clemmons continued improvement is huge for this team. If you can always have 2 point guards on the floor (with a bit of Oglesby manning the second from time to time) the offense should function really well at a high level and high speed. Tough match up for other teams.

Your reasoning also explains why Ulis would be a great recruit for 2014 as well as later. He would allow us to continue a 2PG attack.

Latest posts