Marble at point next year

hawkeye12345

Reading an article and found this interesting quote, As for his 2013-14 Iowa team, McCaffery calls Marble an NBA player. Look for Marble to remain at point guard next season, the spot he played when Iowa was at its best down the stretch.“That’s probably where it’s headed,â€￾ McCaffery said. “I’m not going to decide that today. It could change.
Fran McCaffery: No redshirts, Marble likely at point next year | Hawk Central

It makes sense on the surface. On paper we played the best ball down the stretch with him running the show. We have a SF and SG coming in next year that will likely get minutes. Gesell has a foot issue that hopefully clears up but nothing is guaranteed. Sapp showed the world that he is not ready for big time minutes at point, just yet.

1-Marble
2-Gesell
3-Uthoff
4-White
5-Woodbury

That is what I am thinking we will see as a starting lineup for a majority of the season. I think Clemmons takes a big step forward next season.

Then for the second string I see.
1- Clemmons
2 - Oglesby/Ingram
3 - Jok
4- McCabe
5 - Basabe

If we stay healthy, this will be one deeeeeeep team.

Uthoff is good enough to start? I didnt know he was that good.......hot dang boys we may have pretty dern good team.

Uthoff is good enough to start? I didnt know he was that good.......hot dang boys we may have pretty dern good team.

Saw him in PTL last year and he has a nice jump shot, is fairly athletic and has prety decent handles. According to one article, in the Gazette I believe, he has grown to 6'10".

The lineup I hope we see that I suggested above would cause nightmares with their length.

Wisky would of won the National Championship if they still had him. No joke.

tumblr_lf9861dib41qds46r.gif

Saw him in PTL last year and he has a nice jump shot, is fairly athletic and has prety decent handles. According to one article, in the Gazette I believe, he has grown to 6'10".

The lineup I hope we see that I suggested above would cause nightmares with their length.

Dang that is a matchup nightmare. Hope he runs well. Uthoff needs to pay attention to how White runs the floor.

Good, I really like Gesell at the 2 spot, he can run all the same plays as JO did to get open looks, plus he can actually put the ball on the floor and has a great little pull up too.

That is gonna be a fun game in Madison. The vadgers are gonna lose their minds when Uthoff takes the floor. LOL

I agree and this is one of the main reasons I hope the Hawks get Wisky twice next year and they arent one of the teams that we drop to playing only once.

Me and a few buddies are planning a trip to Madison for the game.

Again,like last year, I think starting is no big deal. Who is on the floor at the end?
Melsahn will be a senior,so I do not discount his chances to have a big year.

As for Devyn...I like him at pg some,and then elsewhere some, depending on matchups.
One positive of having Devyn start at pg is that Fran can sell Tyler Ulis on Iowa having an open slot for him to compete for when he comes in the year after.....what I have been seeing in the NBA playoffs and college tournys is the trend toward having multiple pgs on the floor at the same time,which Iowa can employ next year with Dev,Mikey and Sapp, and then hopefully the following year with Ulis,Mikey and Sapp.

That is gonna be a fun game in Madison. The vadgers are gonna lose their minds when Uthoff takes the floor. LOL

I thought they did that this year, only to find out that Uthoff wasn't even in the state of Wisconsin at the time.

Then for the second string I see.
1- Clemmons
2 - Oglesby/Ingram
3 - Jok
4- McCabe
5 - Basabe

If we stay healthy, this will be one deeeeeeep team.

I think Utoff will be starting too. But I see Oglesby and Jok fighting for mins at the 2. I don't see Ingram playing much frankly. I see Oleseni playing alot Woodbury via being just being able to/foul trouble isn't going to play 30 plus mins. The competition in practice should be awesome. I'd love to watch some of those. White and Utoff will be a battle. Who else matches up with Utoff on this team? Basabe? Marble? McCabe is too slow. Maybe Oleseni? Clemmons and Gessel should make each other better. I'm fired up this team if it's healthy will make some serious noise all yr long

Great!!

Marble is better at the point
The team is better with Marble at his best
Mike G. has a better game than Marble for running off screens for J's.

Marble played his best ball late in the year and so did the team and I think a lot of that had to due with Marble running the point. It also seemed to me that if his productivity on defense increased in terms of steals during the NIT run.

The team can split down the middle for the Black and Gold Blowout. The 6 deep on each team will be better than the entire rotation was under Lick. Talent, depth and quality coaching (includes our great assistants) sure does make a difference. It's amazing how quickly Fran has been able to give us an actual basketball program again.

Marble at the point makes Iowa more explosive, have to be careful if the other team has a shut down defender ie: Craft Marble's handles are not point guard sharp.

Last edited:
The talent level for next years team may rival any prior team that Iowa has placed on the floor.

1986-87 Team
Roy Marble / Devon Marble
BJ Armstrong / Gesell
Kevin Gamble / Uthoff
Brad Lohaus / Woodbury
Jeff Moe / Jok
Ed Horton / White
Gerry Wright / Basabe
Al Lorenzen / McCabe
Les Jepson / Olaseni
Steve Lusso / Oglesby

Latest posts