Many of you need a history lesson

You have it backwards, ColoradoHAWKEYE.

Success dictates expectations. perhaps that is what you meant and you just stated it incorrectly.

Well put, HawkeyeDenis.

I guess since tax dollars don't go towards the football program we will not hear from you again on this board?

The point for those of you that can't relate to the pre-1979 era is...

...not that you should be happy with losing, but that you should realize what it is really like when it is bad and don't be so damn overdramatic when we lose to a game.

As of now this team could still end up 10-3 and you are acting like we will have a losing record. You are the same people that are so freaking spoiled that you probably don't show up in time for the kickoff when you go to a game at Kinnick. This team could still win ten games and some on here have actually said this season is over because we now have three losses.

Re: I'm sorry, McNutt7gets6. That is just idiotic!

What you are really saying is that you reserve the right to ***** if you are jealous of what someone makes. Just cut to the chase and say that. I want to ***** at the guy that makes several million dollars and I am an anonymous Internet poster who will say whatever I want to say because no one knows who I am and I don't have to look someone in the eye when I denigrate them so I will say whatever I want whenever I want and it doesn't matter how outlandish the comment is because I am on the Internet and I can say whatever I want and no one can tell me not to.

Kirk Ferentz is making about 4x what NU pays its head coach. Northwestern has significantly stricter academic standards than Iowa, e.g., a guy like DJK who didn't qualify at OSU would NEVER see the field at NU. NU has substantially crappier facilities than Iowa. NU has a much, much smaller fan base than Iowa. NU gets markedly less media exposure than Iowa.

Fitzgerald took over in 2006 after Randy Walker died about 6 weeks before the season began and he had some rough weeks in non-conference play after being thrust into the job but he somehow still managed to match Ferentz's stellar 2-6 Big Ten record that season. Oh, and he matched Ferentz's amazing 6-6 2007 campaign as well. And what's that, he also matched Ferentz's 9-4 record in 2008. Ferentz did win three more games than Fitzgerald last year and somehow Fitz has managed to match almighty Iowa's 7-3 record so far this year.

And head to head, Fitzgerald OWNS Ferentz with wins in 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010 and his only loss coming in 2007.

Those are the facts, backing out non-con play in 2006 while Fitz was still getting his feet wet and assuming a constant salary of Ferentz of $3 million and a constant salary for Fitz of $750k from 2006 to 2010, Ferentz has earned over $11 million more than a coach who has beaten him head to head 4 out of 5 times and who has only THREE fewer wins than Ferentz from the start of B10 play in 2006 to today. It's an absolute joke. I've gotta hand it to Ferentz and his agent, they have been masterful at extracting significant raises out of the University every few years and Ferentz knows that Iowa, unlike any team in the NFL or top tier program, will do absolutely nothing to him if he consistently has problems beating the ISUs, NU's and Indiana's of the world and he can continue cashing $3 million checks for as long as he wants to. Fans should have a legitimate beef with the guy every time he gets outcoached by a guy making a quarter of what he makes.

Ron Zook has an accomplishment that Ferentz doesn't have - he has won at OSU, PSU and Michigan. Given the new scheduling, I highly doubt Ferentz will ever win a game at OSU. It's telling to those of us who are knowledgeable with respect to B10 football that Zooker, in his short tenure at Illinois, has earned an honor against the Big 3 that Ferentz doesn't have and will likely never get.

I lived through Iowa football from 1962-1980. During that 19 year period how many times did Iowa have a winning season? The answer: Zero!! I don't like losses any better than the rest, but let's keep things in perspective. Ferentz and his staff have us on a really fine run and today's loss does not negate that. We were defeated today by an exceptionally fine quarterback who had an exceptionally fine game. Many of you may think like Chicken Little that the sky is falling. I don't agree.

Good for you. I'm accustomed to a higher level of play. When you have one of the arguably best D lines in the country with one of the best QB/WR combo's and a pretty good RB . . . you don't lose to NW. This is a year that has gone from serious NC chances to this. If you can't understand that frustration, then you're living in the past of mediocrity/badness. Iowa isn't the 1962-1980 team anymore and I expect/want more for them. You should do the same or go root for ISU (they used to be bad too and still are somewhat).

Latest posts