Many of you need a history lesson

papathawki

I lived through Iowa football from 1962-1980. During that 19 year period how many times did Iowa have a winning season? The answer: Zero!! I don't like losses any better than the rest, but let's keep things in perspective. Ferentz and his staff have us on a really fine run and today's loss does not negate that. We were defeated today by an exceptionally fine quarterback who had an exceptionally fine game. Many of you may think like Chicken Little that the sky is falling. I don't agree.

I don't believe the coaches during that time period were making 3 million a year either. We got defeated today by an inferior team - period. The skys not falling it has already landed right in the middle of Iowa City.

I lived through Iowa football from 1962-1980. During that 19 year period how many times did Iowa have a winning season? The answer: Zero!! I don't like losses any better than the rest, but let's keep things in perspective. Ferentz and his staff have us on a really fine run and today's loss does not negate that. We were defeated today by an exceptionally fine quarterback who had an exceptionally fine game. Many of you may think like Chicken Little that the sky is falling. I don't agree.

When we lose to Northwestern pretty consistently, your post doesn't really seem relevant. Something about them gets us every year. The type of offense they run has a lot to do with it. Our defense doesn't stop it very well.

Yeah, I agree, my cats had a long streak of seasons where we didn't so well, but then that magical 1995 season happened and things have been pretty decent since then. We haven't been to the Rose Bowl in 15 years, but it could be worse, I don't think MSU has been there in something like 20 years - that's a pretty long drought.

I'm only surprised it took this long for somebody to bring up crap that happened 30-50 years ago.

I know. Why can't these people just let us wallow in our pity after a loss. I could care less about what it was like watching Iowa between 1960 and 1980. I was born right after Fry took over and that's the only Iowa football I know. I don't need old timers telling me to be grateful for what we have now.

My point exactly. Thank you.

And expectations do, and should, change. When we're in a considerably better position now than we were then, then people are not wrong to expect more than you did back then.

It says a lot about the program that we can be disappointed with an 8 or 9 win season. But the fact that we were horrendous for 19 years in the 60s and 70s doesn't mean we should be happy when the team doesn't play to its ability.

Yeah, I agree, my cats had a long streak of seasons where we didn't so well, but then that magical 1995 season happened and things have been pretty decent since then. We haven't been to the Rose Bowl in 15 years, but it could be worse, I don't think MSU has been there in something like 20 years - that's a pretty long drought.

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

I know. Why can't these people just let us wallow in our pity after a loss. I could care less about what it was like watching Iowa between 1960 and 1980. I was born right after Fry took over and that's the only Iowa football I know. I don't need old timers telling me to be grateful for what we have now.

AMEN!!!

All I know is if I were an Iowa coach or a recruit & I read the things you so called fans are saying about them and this team, I would never want to be a coach or a player here. Maybe if you're really lucky your high expectations & putting down of the coaching staff will get them to quit and you will get to experience going to the "next level" with another Alford like coach. Then you will once again remember what it was like to appreciate an 8 or 9 win season.

Thats it buddy, fire up the proles.;)

All I know is if I were an Iowa coach or a recruit & I read the things you so called fans are saying about them and this team, I would never want to be a coach or a player here. Maybe if you're really lucky your high expectations & putting down of the coaching staff will get them to quit and you will get to experience going to the "next level" with another Alford like coach. Then you will once again remember what it was like to appreciate an 8 or 9 win season.

You really think that the fans are any different at Ohio State (fans on the verge of calling for Tressel's head just 2 years ago)? Texas (you realy think the fans are taking their awful season in stride?)? Michigan (ran Carr out, on the verge of running out Rich Rod)?

Gee, those programs still get elite players.

This isn't about expecting 11-12 wins every year, at least for me. I'm upset because this team was capable of MUCH more than an 8/9-win season. If the best we had was 7-5, that's fine by me. But when we've got this much talent, I want to see us play to our potential.

I was around then as well. I don't remember having to make a 400 donation for the right to buy a season ticket. The University has created a new playing field (no pun intended). It is ok to not be ok with underachieving.

Times have changed (thank God). Don't live in the past.

Maybe you ought to take a look at the state population when wondering how they get their elite players and no I don't think their fans are different but I had hoped OUR fans were! I was wrong, obviously. I also know Luke was a good elite coach who said he didn't like being in the Iowa fishbowl!

Maybe you ought to take a look at the state population when wondering how they get their elite players and no I don't think their fans are different but I had hoped OUR fans were! I was wrong, obviously. I also know Luke was a good elite coach who said he didn't like being in the Iowa fishbowl!

who's Luke?

Yep, I'll take 8 wins and be thrilled because our program is in such a position where that is cause for celebration! Get a clue. I'm not calling for heads. I just want to see the team play the way they are capable of. I don't care if we were horrible back in your day. We are far above that now. And I don't think you could tell the difference during today's game.

Sorry papa....that dog don't hunt.

We're a much much much better and stable program than between 62-80.

Today's results do not equate to talent we have.

Latest posts