Makeup Game with Simpson on Tuesday

RobHowe

Administrator
IOWA CITY, IOWA -- The University of Iowa baseball team will play a make-up game with Simpson College on Tuesday. First pitch is set for 4 p.m. (CT) at Duane Banks Field.

The original game was scheduled for March 6, but cancelled due to unplayable weather.

Simpson, a Division III school from Indianola, Iowa, is 6-1 this season. It will be Iowa’s first of two midweek games this week. The Hawkeyes will face Chicago State at home on Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. (CT).

The Hawkeyes are 9-7 and coming off a series win at home over Cal-State Northridge.

A game like this really doesn't count towards anything, right? It's more or less a glorified scrimmage that probably means more to Simpson than Iowa.

A game like this really doesn't count towards anything, right? It's more or less a glorified scrimmage that probably means more to Simpson than Iowa.
It’s an OOC game that counts towards overall record.

Hawks will have to play full speed, there aren’t really any cupcake non-cons in like there are for football or basketball. Baseball is a much more level playing field because all of the best players are either in the minors already or at a blue blood in the south.

Hawkeyes need games. They're at 16 played. I looked up a random southern school, Florida, and it's played 22.

Hard to make up games with schools coming from distance, but adding one with a school close to home gets them some live action before B1G starts this weekend.

It’s an OOC game that counts towards overall record.

Hawks will have to play full speed, there aren’t really any cupcake non-cons in like there are for football or basketball. Baseball is a much more level playing field because all of the best players are either in the minors already or at a blue blood in the south.

I can't imagine the NCAA committee looks at wins against DIII opponents for at-large consideration.

I can't imagine the NCAA committee looks at wins against DIII opponents for at-large consideration.
Baseball doesn't work like BB and FB. Top D3 teams would wipe the shit out of Iowa. If we had to play Trinity, or Wooster, etc. we'd get killed in a series.

The worst Big Ten football team would annihilate any and all D2 and D3 teams by 100 points. Big Ten baseball isn't even remotely at that level.

Baseball doesn't work like BB and FB. Top D3 teams would wipe the shit out of Iowa. If we had to play Trinity, or Wooster, etc. we'd get killed in a series.

The worst Big Ten football team would annihilate any and all D2 and D3 teams by 100 points. Big Ten baseball isn't even remotely at that level.
Well said. Hawks win 7-2. 6 pitchers combine on a 1-hitter. Hand Simpson it’s second loss of season

Yeah, and I get that. Baseball is a sport where practically any team can beat another on any given day. Heck I bet if the Iowa Cubs played the Chicago Cubs 100 times they'd win at least 10 times. But do you know for sure that the NCAA counts those wins at selection time and RPI? I'm looking at the RPI on the website and they have a catagory for Non D1 wins.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

Latest posts