Maishe

if MD can be a wing shooter that can drive and score, he'll be a huge benefit. he can play 1, 2, 3, in my opinion.

We have a team loaded with lock down defenders...he had better pick up his game or he won't see much playing time.

He averaged almost 17 minutes a game, 3rd most of Iowa G's as a sophomore and he made some really big strides I think as the season progressed. He's in line for a lot more going forward.

He averaged almost 17 minutes a game, 3rd most of Iowa G's as a sophomore and he made some really big strides I think as the season progressed. He's in line for a lot more going forward.
Iowa’s other two guards were sophomores as well. If he really was our best perimeter defender there is really no excuse for his lack of PT. 17 minutes is not a lot. With Weiskamp coming in and Connor in the mix, if Fran continues to play Baer and Nunge at the 3 we could potentially see Maishe’s minutes go down, which I don’t think is wise.

Iowa’s other two guards were sophomores as well. If he really was our best perimeter defender there is really no excuse for his lack of PT. 17 minutes is not a lot. With Weiskamp coming in and Connor in the mix, if Fran continues to play Baer and Nunge at the 3 we could potentially see Maishe’s minutes go down, which I don’t think is wise.

There's definitely an excuse - the other 2 sophomores in front of him where better and more experienced, especially to start the year. I thought you saw MD roll increase as the year went on and he became a more dependable option. His minutes were definitely more meaningful down the stretch, as in, he was playing when the games were more competitive and at more crucial moments. 17 MPG is a lot considering he averaged less then 8 the season before. Not everything has to be an up roar and in inexcusable defense. MD was better at the end of the season.

From what we've seen so far out of MD, he isn't a better option at the 1 or 2 then the guys playing in front of him so far, or at least he didn't show it enough consistently through out the season. I am hopeful he becomes that tho.

It's going to be interesting to see what Fran does with JBo. Does he play him exclusively at PG and just give Connor 10 or so minutes in the back up role or does he give Connor more minutes at the PG and try JBo at the 2? I think that would be the biggest threat to Maishe's playing time.

If that doesn't happen, I think Dailey will play all the back up minutes for the 2. Moss averaged 24 minutes a game. That would leave Dailey with 16. Hopefully either Moss takes his game to a next level or if not I'm comfortable with playing Dailey more as well and seeing a 20/20 type split or ride the hotter hand on a given night.

There's definitely an excuse - the other 2 sophomores in front of him where better and more experienced, especially to start the year. I thought you saw MD roll increase as the year went on and he became a more dependable option. His minutes were definitely more meaningful down the stretch, as in, he was playing when the games were more competitive and at more crucial moments. 17 MPG is a lot considering he averaged less then 8 the season before. Not everything has to be an up roar and in inexcusable defense. MD was better at the end of the season.

From what we've seen so far out of MD, he isn't a better option at the 1 or 2 then the guys playing in front of him so far, or at least he didn't show it enough consistently through out the season. I am hopeful he becomes that tho.
Not everything has to be an uproar I agree. I tend to think if he was our best perimeter defensive option it wasn’t by much and he still probably wasn’t a great perimeter defender just yet.

In regards to your comment about those guys being better options, that’s all fine and well, but at 6’7 I said all year that Dailey should get minutes at the 3. We saw it very seldom but when we did it Iowa played some very good ball if memory serves me. Meaning Dailey could have got more minutes not at the expense of those two.

The main issue, which has been said as naseum is that Fran tried to jam guys into the lineup out of position. The question going forward to me is will he continue to do that with Nunge which would ultimately cost Dailey? Also will he play Connor at the 1 over Dailey even if Dailey might be a better option? At this point it is anyone’s guess.

It's going to be interesting to see what Fran does with JBo. Does he play him exclusively at PG and just give Connor 10 or so minutes in the back up role or does he give Connor more minutes at the PG and try JBo at the 2? I think that would be the biggest threat to Maishe's playing time.

If that doesn't happen, I think Dailey will play all the back up minutes for the 2. Moss averaged 24 minutes a game. That would leave Dailey with 16. Hopefully either Moss takes his game to a next level or if not I'm comfortable with playing Dailey more as well and seeing a 20/20 type split or ride the hotter hand on a given night.
If Connor truly is the better option as he backup 1, I still think Dailey can play both the 2 and the 3. At 6’7 he has plenty of size to do it. That would likely slide Baer and Nunge down more to the 4 spot, which is also where I think they are best suited.

If Connor truly is the better option as he backup 1, I still think Dailey can play both the 2 and the 3. At 6’7 he has plenty of size to do it. That would likely slide Baer and Nunge down more to the 4 spot, which is also where I think they are best suited.

I said last year, that I wanted to see Dailey and Moss play some together but it sure didn't seem like they were ever on the floor together as the 2/3.

I won't argue that is where Nunge and Baer are better suited but I think Baer will remain playing the 3 because there just aren't enough minutes to share at the 4 spot if Cook comes back.

I said last year, that I wanted to see Dailey and Moss play some together but it sure didn't seem like they were ever on the floor together as the 2/3.

I won't argue that is where Nunge and Baer are better suited but I think Baer will remain playing the 3 because there just aren't enough minutes to share at the 4 spot if Cook comes back.
Spot on. I was calling for the same last year and the few times we did it we seemed to play some good ball.

It’s pretty easy to see. Iowa has shooters, Iowa has two of the better post options we’ve had, but we need that slashing athletic type player who can create their own to mix in there. Hopefully this year with Weiskamp, Moss, and Dailey we have that covered. Defense will obviously be the main area for improvement.

Not everything has to be an uproar I agree. I tend to think if he was our best perimeter defensive option it wasn’t by much and he still probably wasn’t a great perimeter defender just yet.

In regards to your comment about those guys being better options, that’s all fine and well, but at 6’7 I said all year that Dailey should get minutes at the 3. We saw it very seldom but when we did it Iowa played some very good ball if memory serves me. Meaning Dailey could have got more minutes not at the expense of those two.

The main issue, which has been said as naseum is that Fran tried to jam guys into the lineup out of position. The question going forward to me is will he continue to do that with Nunge which would ultimately cost Dailey? Also will he play Connor at the 1 over Dailey even if Dailey might be a better option? At this point it is anyone’s guess.

Now I like that - he just didn't play the 3 so that's not really what I was considering - but IMO, at least based on what I saw, he was a better 3 option then Baer or Nunge. I just think since what happened at the 1 last year, it limited what they could do. Now, we seemingly (at least on paper) have a better option at the 3 - so... it is going to be interesting to see what does happen. I just think there are a lot more options at the 1,2,3 this coming year, last year it was very very limited.

It will never happen, but this is my dream rotation next year. (Baer splitting time 3/4):

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / Dailey 15
Weiskamp 20 / Baer 10 / Dailey 10
Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10
Garza 24 / Cook 16

Again no Kriener or Pem, who I like as players but just aren’t needed with Cook, Garza, and Nunge in front of them. If foul trouble issues arise they are good options. That team would be a tough with their offensive firepower and I think would be much improved defensively.

It will never happen, but this is my dream rotation next year. (Baer splitting time 3/4):

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / Dailey 15
Weiskamp 20 / Baer 10 / Dailey 10
Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10
Garza 24 / Cook 16

Again no Kriener or Pem, who I like as players but just aren’t needed with Cook, Garza, and Nunge in front of them. If foul trouble issues arise they are good options. That team would be a tough with their offensive firepower and I think would be much improved defensively.
Pemsl talked about having to do what was best for himself a month or so ago. I don't think he would of changed his mind unless Fran had a talk to him about playing time. He should be pretty tough next year.

Pemsl talked about having to do what was best for himself a month or so ago. I don't think he would of changed his mind unless Fran had a talk to him about playing time. He should be pretty tough next year.
Has he officially made up his mind? I know some who are speculating that if Cook comes back it might trigger a Pemsl transfer. Knowing he has to sit out a year anyway, I don’t think a summer transfer is out of the question.