Magic Bus replacement denied permit

IHawks2044

Permit denied for Stadium Club tailgate | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand, it feels good that they are enforcing the permit thing a little bit and that it is coming on the people who were trying to take over the Magic Bus' area and do nothing but make money. But on the other hand, this is another instance of the city (and probably the university) trying to shut down any tailgating that includes drinking.

Permit denied for Stadium Club tailgate | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand, it feels good that they are enforcing the permit thing a little bit and that it is coming on the people who were trying to take over the Magic Bus' area and do nothing but make money. But on the other hand, this is another instance of the city (and probably the university) trying to shut down any tailgating that includes drinking.

They are trying to shut down Melrose too but 2 people refuse to sell their houses to the university. They've already bought up most of them.

My feeling is it's funny Barklow (or whatever his name is) got it stuck to him. But in the end it may be a bad thing. Right now it seems to be geared at drinking but who's to say next the vendors won't be targeted. They do cause a traffic concern. They may go after parking cars next. IMO ever since the train was started there has been a push to get people out of IC on gameday as much as they can.

This attitude is killing the atmosphere little by little. The slippery slope is in full motion.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me how some "utopian idiots" are never satisfied until they kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Bingo. As I keep saying - all drinking will be forbidden (skybox excluded) on U of I property in the next 5-10 years, I'm thinking closer to 5. Tailgating that includes drinking will only be allowed on private property which is why the U of I is buying up all the property on melrose, so that they can have some control of what goes on within sight of the stadium. Trust me on this. If this is of any kind of concern to anyone out there then you should start making noise now otherwise it will be too late.

It never ceases to amaze me how some "utopian idiots" are never satisfied until they kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Knowing personally one of the food vendors on Melrose, the whole Magic Bus situation has done nothing but open up a floodgate of the City vs. Tailgating. Questions of permits for vendors that have existed for decades, why people aren't charging sales tax, etc. etc. From what I have heard, the media won't report the fact that the Magic Bus owners has caused quite a firestorm that may result in the end of Melrose Magic as we have grown to know it.

My feeling is it's funny Barklow (or whatever his name is) got it stuck to him. But in the end it may be a bad thing. Right now it seems to be geared at drinking but who's to say next the vendors won't be targeted. They do cause a traffic concern. They may go after parking cars next. IMO ever since the train was started there has been a push to get people out of IC on gameday as much as they can.

This attitude is killing the atmosphere little by little. The slippery slope is in full motion.

I agree, Barkalow got served!!

Bingo. As I keep saying - all drinking will be forbidden (skybox excluded) on U of I property in the next 5-10 years, I'm thinking closer to 5. Tailgating that includes drinking will only be allowed on private property which is why the U of I is buying up all the property on melrose, so that they can have some control of what goes on within sight of the stadium. Trust me on this. If this is of any kind of concern to anyone out there then you should start making noise now otherwise it will be too late.

I know for a fact that one of the houses on Melrose with NEVER be sold to the university.

I was looking at the Mayor Matt Hayek's bio, and he went to scUM.

Mike Wright went to Michigan and Minnesota.

Regina Bailey, the only one who voted against the 21-older ordinance and is one of 3UofI grads.

Antoher Council memeber just happens to be the wife of Fred Mims.

I don't need to drink to enjoy a hawkeye game so this really isnt a huge deal to me. Tailgating is stilll fun regardless. Talk to people, eat alot of beef, good times. When I was going we would hit the bars and hoof if over anyways. From the ped mall to the stadium on foot is only a 10 minute walk.

If somebody wants to quit going to games because they can't get liquored up in the parking lot then so be it. Hopefully you have good seats so I can take them over.

I don't need to drink to enjoy a hawkeye game so this really isnt a huge deal to me. Tailgating is stilll fun regardless. Talk to people, eat alot of beef, good times. When I was going we would hit the bars and hoof if over anyways. From the ped mall to the stadium on foot is only a 10 minute walk.

If somebody wants to quit going to games because they can't get liquored up in the parking lot then so be it. Hopefully you have good seats so I can take them over.

You'll get fantastic seats, if this continues. Iowa City will suffer as will the Iowa Football team. I won't buy season tickets if this continues.

And after reading the aticle carefully they had no choice but to deny that thing. He basically looked at the code book and made sure to break every violation he could.

And after reading the aticle carefully they had no choice but to deny that thing. He basically looked at the code book and made sure to break every violation he could.

I think you are missing the point, unless the code was changed recently they never denied permits in the past.

Hawkinn3, this is not about alcohol. Even if they outlawed all alcohol around Kinnick people could still drink downtown. This is about the atmosphere being sterilized. As I said earlier maybe the vendors get hit next. Iowa's atmosphere made it great. It is being taken away little by little.

I think you are missing the point, unless the code was changed recently they never denied permits in the past.

Or permits were never issued...which is what my source (The owner of a food vendor), is saying is the problem. Enough of a problem, that he might stop vending food.

There are two sides to this story, and while I am in no way on the side of the Barkalow's, the Rugby Club is making sure through their actions that if they can't be there, no one will be. You will never see the Press Citizen Publish this side of the story.

Last edited:
Hawkinn3, this is not about alcohol. Even if they outlawed all alcohol around Kinnick people could still drink downtown. This is about the atmosphere being sterilized. As I said earlier maybe the vendors get hit next. Iowa's atmosphere made it great. It is being taken away little by little.

The food vendors ARE getting hit NOW, and it has everything to do with the Magic Bus.

You break the rules for one group then you have to break them for all. Forget the past. It's a new day and they applied for permits and screwed themselves over for not reading the permit laws. Greed. They wanted more money and the bus would not pay up, they moved on and now they get nothing and will have to like it.

Before there was no permit needed. I believe the ICCC passed an ordinance a couple of years ago where a temp. Permit was needed. The places on Melrose were granfathered in until someone else bought the property they were renting.

Latest posts