Lunch in Iowa City area before the game - help needed!

SoliDeoGloria

Its been too long since I made the venture to Iowa City for a game, but have the luxury of taking my wife to the ISU game.

Being that she is 6 months pregnant, a lot of walking around Melrose is not in the gameplan. Any ideas for good places to grab lunch downtown?

Thanks for any help!:)

Like in the ped mall? Everywhere in 'downtown' IC is going to be a **** show during lunch time I'd think. You could try Blackstone which is a little bit outside of downtown, but it will still be packed.

Like in the ped mall? Everywhere in 'downtown' IC is going to be a **** show during lunch time I'd think. You could try Blackstone which is a little bit outside of downtown, but it will still be packed.

That was my initial thought - but someone told me downtown isnt too bad before the games. He said it gets bad after the game. Maybe that was bad advice?

That was my initial thought - but someone told me downtown isnt too bad before the games. He said it gets bad after the game. Maybe that was bad advice?

I'm never really downtown before the games but I'd imagine being ISU weekend there will be a ton of people without tickets that will start flocking downtown around noon looking to post up to watch the game. All just a guess though.

If you get downtown early enough, you'll probably be okay. Dexter is right, though. Being ISU week, there'll be more people around than usual.

Anywhere you go will be insanely busy. Good luck.

agreed. and with ma being 6 mos pregnant, might not be a wise choice. the bars will be packed prior to the game and for the game. been there, done that.

on top of things, it is a 2:30 game. pack a lunch.

Bob's Your Uncle has excellent pizza and other good food as well. It's out on the eastern side of Iowa City so it shouldn't be too busy. Take the Dodge St exit and head back towards town, it's on the north side of the road on Dodge St.

Bob's Your Uncle

If it were me, with a preggers wife, I'd head to Blackstone about 1230. Food isn't excellent but I'd call it 'good' bar food.

There is a new sports bar in Tiffin called Throttle Down. Has 18 big screen Tv's, opens at 7 AM for breakfast and has great food. It's 3 minutes from Coral Ridge Mall and a straight shot in on Highway 6 towards the stadium. Worth checking out...

The two times I've been to Bob's this year its been great. With lots of cool Hawk hoops memorabilia too. I'd try there first, then swing by Blackstone.

Lou Henri's on Iowa & Dodge is worth a look if an informal neighborhood place will fit the bill.

Downtown won't be too bad at the non-bar eateries. Try The Wedge or the Bread Garden, both neighboring the Public Library... or even the Mill.

Latest posts