Luka Garza, Joe Wieskamp Invited to NBA Draft Combine

Great representation by Iowa. Only slightly more than 7% of the players invited to the draft combine represented the Big 10 (5 total). 40% of the Big Ten representatives were Hawkeyes.

JW getting the invite mean he is officially pretty much gone?
Seeing the uninvited guys kinda got me scratching my head. Both guys at Illinois would be first rounders in my opinion. Maybe they made it clear they wouldn't attend the combine. Wagner not being invited was a surprise.

JW getting the invite mean he is officially pretty much gone?
I'd say so yeah. But I don't think that makes him a shoe in for the NBA though. It'll be tough for him to get drafted I bet. If he opens some eyes at this camp anything's possible. But I think it's a long shot. I think he'll try the Gleague or over seas if he doesn't get drafted though. I think he wants to start cashing checks and who can blame a guy for that?

I think it is for players where there are questions about their ability and top players can refuse with nothing to gain. Basically someone voted on them and wanted to see them and how they stack up. In some ways it is a positive, but maybe a negative and maybe a negative on Fran's development. They will measure potential.

Garza is mostly heart with a quick outside shot and determination, which works against lower level athletes. They will measure his abilities. JW has strong fundamentals. Both are questionable in athletic abililty. Someone sees JW as maybe a sleeper and some think Garza might not make it or maybe he will..

Last edited:
I think it is for players where there are questions about their ability and top players can refuse with nothing to gain. Basically someone voted on them and wanted to see them and how they stack up. In some ways it is a positive, but maybe a negative and maybe a negative on Fran's development. They will meaure potential.
Yeah that's the X factor with em both. What is Garzas ceiling? Being on Jokics level seems crazy high but is anywhere close to it possible? We didn't see him be used as a ball handler/passing playmaker of sorts cause we just never tried using him that way. Doesn't mean he's not capable. I think due to a guy like Jokic having the success he has it opens some GMs eyes to the possibility that a guy like Garza can play at that level. But how high are they willing to draft him to find out?

JW seems athletic enough but his handle worries me. He can shoot and use his body to score inside and draw fouls. But his defense, handle and ability to play make for others may be questionable. So we'll see

How does this compare to others? Any idea if this is good, bad, or average?
Oh I'd say that's pretty above avg. 204 at 6'6 pretty much with 4% body fat... I had no idea he had a 42 inch vert. We shoulda been running more of those Mr. Davis backdoor lobs for him geez. And let's not forget he's not a bad shooter... He's only improved his stock a boat load since the season ended I'd venture to guess. Not sure he gets drafted still but all it takes is one team with a need in the 2nd round to say hey give me some of that

Does anybody remember Kevin Huerter at Maryland? Did anyone think this kid was a pro? Yes, I am guilty of doing the white guy comparison thing, but his path to the league wouldn't be that different from JW's if JW happens to stick.

Does anybody remember Kevin Huerter at Maryland? Did anyone think this kid was a pro? Yes, I am guilty of doing the white guy comparison thing, but his path to the league wouldn't be that different from JW's if JW happens to stick.
Sam Dekker as well. Dont know if Sam is still in the league but do know he was for three or four years

Yeah that's the X factor with em both. What is Garzas ceiling? Being on Jokics level seems crazy high but is anywhere close to it possible? We didn't see him be used as a ball handler/passing playmaker of sorts cause we just never tried using him that way. Doesn't mean he's not capable. I think due to a guy like Jokic having the success he has it opens some GMs eyes to the possibility that a guy like Garza can play at that level. But how high are they willing to draft him to find out?

JW seems athletic enough but his handle worries me. He can shoot and use his body to score inside and draw fouls. But his defense, handle and ability to play make for others may be questionable. So we'll see
You can’t be serious with Luka and Jokic comparisons. ESPN’s latest mock has Luka as a late 2nd rounder. Bigs with shaky defense get exposed in the League.

Sam Dekker as well. Dont know if Sam is still in the league but do know he was for three or four years

Dekker had a great run in the NCAA tournament so you could kinda see it.

Take a peak at Huerter’s numbers the year he bolted from Maryland they are identical to JW. Not saying JW will stick, but I certainly understand why he wants to go all in and roll the dice.

If Matt Thomas can be in the league, so can Joe

Take it a step further. George Niang didn’t play a lick defense at Iowa St. Yet he found his way on a NBA roster. You would think Luka is capable of the same thing.

Niang never quite figured how to defend ball screens, so their is hope for Luka.

Latest posts