Loyola v Iowa defense

HawksMN

I know....another defense thread. But the makeup of Loyola's team seems to be kind of like Iowa's...mostly unheralded players with a very good big man. But, for some reason Loyola can step up their D and give IL fits. Iowa...I have yet to see a game where some sort of lazy defensive scheme isnt employed. What is it with Fran's teams and lazy play at the non ball end?

I think certain lineups iowa can come out and play some inspiring defense. But the starting lineup just doesn't have enough wing span at 1 and 2 to come close. This probably doesn't help the coaching priority.

Loyola head coach is 9-2 in post season. If he gets this win I can't imagine he doesn't move on to a bigger school. His ability to get his players to buy in to this level is remarkable.

Loyola has guys that can defend on the perimeter...but watch what happens when the Illinois offensive player beat his guy off the dribble, the help action is incredible, it's like a zone with their clogging of lanes. You have to overload one side of the floor so there is no help on one side. Illinois isn't playing disciplined.

Loyola has guys that can defend on the perimeter...but watch what happens when the Illinois offensive player beat his guy off the dribble, the help action is incredible, it's like a zone with their clogging of lanes. You have to overload one side of the floor so there is no help on one side. Illinois isn't playing disciplined.

Does it really surprise you that teams like Illinois and OSU do not play disciplined. OSU just played like they thought they could win doing anything. When they moved the ball to the post player down low they usually got a bucket or foul but the coach let their guards try some terrible treys.

How many times is Brad Underwood going to watch Loyola run that same circular action and beat them...over and over again.

Illinois needs to play a match up zone and take that away. Sure, you give up threes in certain situations, but you can't allow a team to beat you the same way over and over again. Terrible coaching.

Illinois isnt shooting that bad of a %age so tell me as I just turned it on is Loyola using a lot of shot clock to shorten the game? are they not allowing Illini to fast break

How many times is Brad Underwood going to watch Loyola run that same circular action and beat them...over and over again.

Illinois needs to play a match up zone and take that away. Sure, you give up threes in certain situations, but you can't allow a team to beat you the same way over and over again. Terrible coaching.

So like you said, Loyola using clock, running Illini around, doing the circular and weave action with high post screen

Loyola is getting into IL. And yes then shutting down the drivers. Something I'd love to see Iowa do someday.

I think Illinois was overconfident. They had won 12 or 13 in a row and didn't have the right mindset right from the start of the game. It's a lot of things...poor offensive game plan...but also not making adjustments on the defensive end that killed them.

Underwood got out coached, but his team seemed surprised these guys could defend them...they had a plan and they have athletes. In a game like this...you need to be ready to be patient and grind every possession. Illinois wasn't ready...and didn't take care of the ball.

Ayo played really, really poorly...he's an All American and he failed to show.

Brad Underwood is nowhere near as good a coach. It was the athletes vs. the less athletic but much better coached kids. We did not do anything near what Loyola does against Ill but we also don't have near as good a coach. The best example of why I say Fran can go and what we can get. Yes, I know Barta would f*ck it up and not get that sort of coach. If we had Moser as coach we would be so much better and consistent and be marching to the Championship game and we wouldn't really worry going into these games but have confidence. Nice to laugh at Oregon and only start to worry with Gonzaga.

Loyola isn't any more athletic than Iowa which makes it more frustrating how lazy Iowa can be on defense. I also don't understand why our guys don't stay home. Too many times yesterday their bigs would get the ball down low and one of our guards would go down and then the big would kick it back out for a wide open 3. Stay on your damn man.

Loyola isn't any more athletic than Iowa...hmmm...I'd say that's false. The little white guard is really quick and plays great defense, then they have three more really athletic defenders on the perimeter.

The problem was...Underwood stayed in man the whole game. They had no answer for the circular action that kept letting their guards have a free reign to the lane and typically a two on two with the defensive guard chasing the Loyola player down the lane...he would either finish or dish. Loyola kept running it because Underwood never changed his defense and the Illini struggled with it the ENTIRE game. It was bizarre. At some point you have to change your defense, right? It was like watching Groundhog Day.

Loyola has a great defensive scheme...but there are ways to exploit it. You have to overload one side of the court so there is no help defense on one side. If you noticed, it was some kind of man/zone type of defense in and around the lane...every time that Curbelo or Ayo tried to drive...it was like driving into a zone...as the help was on both sides of the high ball screen. Nowhere to go...and when the ball is passed to wing...Loyola was really quick on the close outs. Impressive defense and these guys anticipate everything.

I think certain lineups iowa can come out and play some inspiring defense. But the starting lineup just doesn't have enough wing span at 1 and 2 to come close. This probably doesn't help the coaching priority.

Loyola head coach is 9-2 in post season. If he gets this win I can't imagine he doesn't move on to a bigger school. His ability to get his players to buy in to this level is remarkable.
There are two openings in this conference as thing currently stand.

Iowa fans better hope Moser doesn't come over to this league.

Brad Underwood is nowhere near as good a coach. It was the athletes vs. the less athletic but much better coached kids. We did not do anything near what Loyola does against Ill but we also don't have near as good a coach. The best example of why I say Fran can go and what we can get. Yes, I know Barta would f*ck it up and not get that sort of coach. If we had Moser as coach we would be so much better and consistent and be marching to the Championship game and we wouldn't really worry going into these games but have confidence. Nice to laugh at Oregon and only start to worry with Gonzaga.
Moser's teams remind me so much of Dale Brown's old LSU teams. Locked in and communicating on the defensive end. Built for March.

There's a reason Brown's teams made several Final Fours and Elite Eights despite not always having the most talented teams on paper. They were tournament terrors.