Love the basketball excitement

kgoblee

Its kinda fun again to talk about positive Iowa basketball. Heck we are even touting walk on point guards as getting playing time.. Not sure I like that idea but in other years there would be 20 threads about how we are in big trouble with only a walk on as back up point. I hope it is many years before we sink to those depths again.....Go Hawks

I think we are in big trouble if we don't get a back-up for Cully. Outside of Cully we have a slender Freshman (Marble) who isn't really a point guard and a walk-on. That is a recipe for failure in the Big 10.

Iowa and Iowa State are going to struggle not to finish in the bottom 2 of the conference next year. Both coaches say they want to play uptempo but you have to have players and right now Iowa doesn't and ISU doesn't. ISU has some young talent coming in but who knows if they are any good. Iowa has a couple solid guys to build around but they are role players on other teams not go to players. I think each team needs 3 years to turn it around

I'll get excited in about 2 years.

I love the change and will watch more next year but I definately am not excited about the thought of losing 20 games again and missing out on postseason

I agree with MasonCityHawk. Hayden Fry needed a couple of years to put the football team in the 'winning season' catagory. Good coaches have a way of getting players to believe in themselves. As fans, we shouldn't expect Fran to wave a 'magic wand' in one season.

I agree that any new coach (Pro or College) needs 3 years to rebuild regardless of the sport. Lick had 3 years and the team got worse.

That doesn't mean that I'm not excited about the coming season because I'm about as excited about Basketball as I ever have been.

i am excited again even if we struggle for a year or 2. this new coach is going to be great just watch he has the write mind frame and style. i think if we play uptempo something nobody else does in the big ten we may catch some guys off guard. if the walk on can play decent and if marble adjusts well to college play then we can win 7 or 8 games in the big ten. Fran is going to get this turned around

I can live with good recruiting results only the first 2 years...by year 3,I will look for more.

NIT, baby...might be a long-shot, but that's optimistic, at best.

I think we can get 15 games, easily.

The only way this team wins 15 games is if the Big 10 realigns and kicks Iowa to the Horizon League. Even then we would probably struggle to win 15. In all honesty with this roster I will be happy if we can get to 10 wins again this year.

This board is funny. Some guys think basketball is like football where you can sit a kid for three years and let him develop. Um, in football you have enough players to field 4 teams. In basketball you have less than 2 1/2 and you can't play a guy all game every game.

The other group somehow thinks that making a depleted roster play a full court running game will increase wins.

The reality is that FM does not have three years to turn the team around and unless he gets real lucky with JUCO's or decommits, the team will struggle this year. The real deal wil come with the 2011 class. That class needs to be diverse with respect to positions and needs at least a couple with all-league potential.

I agree with MasonCityHawk. Hayden Fry needed a couple of years to put the football team in the 'winning season' catagory. Good coaches have a way of getting players to believe in themselves. As fans, we shouldn't expect Fran to wave a 'magic wand' in one season.

It might have taken Hayden a couple of years to "put the football team in the wining season category" but it didn't take that long for fans to become excited. I remember being excited about the program the first year. And then the excitement built. I'm not waiting to be excited.

This board is funny. Some guys think basketball is like football where you can sit a kid for three years and let him develop. Um, in football you have enough players to field 4 teams. In basketball you have less than 2 1/2 and you can't play a guy all game every game.

The other group somehow thinks that making a depleted roster play a full court running game will increase wins.

The reality is that FM does not have three years to turn the team around and unless he gets real lucky with JUCO's or decommits, the team will struggle this year. The real deal wil come with the 2011 class. That class needs to be diverse with respect to positions and needs at least a couple with all-league potential.

I agree with caarhawk, i was hoping FM would hit a homerun this spring with a couple of late juco signings but it looks like we need to wait for next season. He is inheriting a team that was built for Lick ball, not uptempo, I will be shocked if some of Lick's recruits dont eventually move on, I love the coaching staff FM put together and the 2011 and 2012 recruiting classes will be the telling sign if Hawkeye bb is back!

To add on to this, which i totally agree with the above post. I also think its funny that people seem to think that we're going to be the Phoenix Suns of CBB next year because coach said he wants to play "uptempo"...You're going to be disappointed. Getting the ball in to the frontcourt as fast as possible and then getting in to the offense and maybe guards leaking out on misses for easy lay ups is more of what I picture. Anything will look uptempo compared to Lick's style so there's not too much to live up in terms of the "uptempo" remarks. If he would have said, "we're going to run. and then if that doesn't work, we're going to keep running", then I would be excited.

It might have taken Hayden a couple of years to "put the football team in the wining season category" but it didn't take that long for fans to become excited. I remember being excited about the program the first year. And then the excitement built. I'm not waiting to be excited.

Thank you.

As a life long fan i am excited for MAD MAC BALL, and what it may bring. I am also excited that ppl for the first time in a couple of years are excited again about Iowa Basketball. But i am a realist too. I am not expecting a big turn around next season. It would be nice, and I do hope that miracles do happen. But MAD MAC needs a couple of years...

I'm excited to watch BASKETBALL again...not whatever that was for the last 3 years...I found (much to the excitement of others in the house hold that...) painting a room and watching it dry was much more entertaining than "Lick-Ball"

And I'm not telling anyone not to be excited. I think that Fran has the initiative and ability to return Iowa BB to the level of respect and recognition that it should have. I hope that he makes a fool out of me and the Hawks win 20+ games this year (I would be a very happy fool).
But, in any case, I think that he is the right choice for Iowa basketball.

Even if Paige, Woodbury, Gessell, and others for the 2011-2012 classes are 'big Hawk fans' and are decked out in IA attire, wouldn't we have to show a decent improvement next year to convince them we are moving in the right direction? I do not endorse the 'let's sign anyone we can now', waste schollys, and not try to recruit them, but the desire to win sometimes can overshadow a love for a team growing up.

I hope we show that improvement next year and that they sign, cause locking the top Iowa recruits down is what gave us success in the past.

Latest posts