Lou-Cubs

kirby

Anybody else think Lou is drunk while he manages? He looks like the guy at my exit ramp asking for $. That and he is making horrible calls with pitching changes...the whole Cubs team needs to be shaken up...I say start with Lou. Boot him.

Last edited:
Look, we got to score runs. Look, we got to score more runs then the other guys. Look, our guys have to start hitting.

They need to change something up. The Cubs look terrible lately. They have the ability to be better. Not sure how much is on Lou, but he has made some questionable managing decisions this year. I would like to see Colvin play more. Although the outfield has been pretty good this season overall. I still wish they could dump Soriano and his contract. Wishful thinking.

Can't remember who said it on one of the national baseball shows (ESPN Baseball tonight or the MLB network show) but was talking about the Cubs and how they are a very talented team but don't have a team atmosphere in the clubhouse.

Not shocking news but they will probably suffer through the rest of the year with Lou and then look at bringing Ryne Sandberg in as manager.

The Cubs are extremely frustrating. The thing that drives me the most crazy about Lou is his fear of sticking with anything new for more than one game. He'll shake things up a little but then change them again the next night. For instance, when he benched Lee and Ramirez a few nights ago and then stuck them back in the lineup the next game. Stick with some changes for a few games and see if they work! Sheesh. I've always like Ramirez but the guy should be batting 8th right now.

1874264040.icon

OK, so who are you going to get to replace Lou...and don't say Ryno. He doesn't have any coaching/managing experience at the MLB level. I think he should get at least two years grooming in the bigs before he takes over. I've heard Trammel as a possible replacement. I still want to wait until the end of June...let's see where they are at then.

OK, so who are you going to get to replace Lou...and don't say Ryno. He doesn't have any coaching/managing experience at the MLB level. I think he should get at least two years grooming in the bigs before he takes over. I've heard Trammel as a possible replacement. I still want to wait until the end of June...let's see where they are at then.

I don't know who the Cubs would get to replace Lou. What I do know is that they could (and have - repeatedly - in the past) do a lot worse. If I had to make a decision right now, I would want the Cubs to after someone like Joe Maddon or Ron Gardenhire.

It's all a moot point anyhow, as Ryno is clearly being groomed for the job.

I've heard Trammel doesn't have the makeup to "lead" a team...if you get what I am trying to say. He is a great mind but from what I hear he doesn't have what it takes to actually be a manager. You could throw Maddux in there...he has one of the best baseball minds of our time...and you could also go with Ryno. Worst comes to worst he would get some experience before trying to make a run next year.

The fact of the matter is that this has passed Lou....the game has. He makes terribles calls all of the time. Yes it isn't his fault that Lee and Ramirez are hitting...but would you be able to get up for games with the way that Lou handles himself and the comments he makes?

A coaching team is what this team needs to get some kind of spark. It can still be done this year....see the Rockies a couple years ago...or the Marlins the year they took us out in the NLCS on their way to the world series.

I think Lou will be fired...but it Hendry has too much respect for him and it will be an "Okay Lou...I think it's time for you to retire...annndd you should probably do it this week sometime ; )"

I've heard Trammel doesn't have the makeup to "lead" a team...if you get what I am trying to say. He is a great mind but from what I hear he doesn't have what it takes to actually be a manager. You could throw Maddux in there...he has one of the best baseball minds of our time...and you could also go with Ryno. Worst comes to worst he would get some experience before trying to make a run next year.

The fact of the matter is that this has passed Lou....the game has. He makes terribles calls all of the time. Yes it isn't his fault that Lee and Ramirez are hitting...but would you be able to get up for games with the way that Lou handles himself and the comments he makes?

A coaching team is what this team needs to get some kind of spark. It can still be done this year....see the Rockies a couple years ago...or the Marlins the year they took us out in the NLCS on their way to the world series.

I think Lou will be fired...but it Hendry has too much respect for him and it will be an "Okay Lou...I think it's time for you to retire...annndd you should probably do it this week sometime ; )"

I think Lou and Hendry are a package deal, since they will defend each other. I think it will have to come from the Ricketts...if one of them goes, I'd hope they just can both of them and start fresh.

I think Lou and Hendry are a package deal, since they will defend each other. I think it will have to come from the Ricketts...if one of them goes, I'd hope they just can both of them and start fresh.

That's the biggest problem. If Lou goes, but Hendry is still there, it won't matter who they bring in. They'll still look to try to emulate the latest WS winner, and do it badly. I honestly think getting rid of Hendry is MUCH more important than getting rid of Lou.

This is a great example of how tremendously overrated the position of "manager" is to a major league baseball team. The truly great managers very rarely generate extra wins for their teams, they simply put the players in the best position to succeed and lessen the chances for a loss. Managers more often cost their team wins by making boneheaded decisions. The 2008 Cubs weren't good because of Lou, they were good because they had a roster full of good baseball players having good seasons. A roster full of good players can overcome a lot of those boneheaded decisions.

Lou isn't really doing anything differently this year than he has since he came to Chicago other than having fewer screaming matches with umpires. The major difference is the roster, and the blame needs to be directed at whomever was responsible for constructing that roster. Jim Hendry has proven consistently that he has no business running a top-5 payroll team.

That's the biggest problem. If Lou goes, but Hendry is still there, it won't matter who they bring in. They'll still look to try to emulate the latest WS winner, and do it badly. I honestly think getting rid of Hendry is MUCH more important than getting rid of Lou.

Best point here. I don't think that he'll be around too much longer. I think Ricketts family will have much more control on the spending either way.

Latest posts